New Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

New Pennies

Postby DJS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Been lurking for awhile and decided to sign up and post. I have been accumulating some gold and silver for awhile but just started with copper.
Just finishing my first $25 box of pennies and will then start on my second. I am hand sorting. I have been keeping 1981 and below in one pile and wheats in another.
I was planning on putting the "keepers" in rolls and back into the bank boxes to store. Any ideas on a better way to do it or where to get wrappers? I have checked with my bank and they don't give them away. I can just buy them if need be.

Also, I have noticed on some threads and on some other forums that people keep/hoard the newer pennies(1982/83 and up). What is the purpose of this?

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to learn some things.
DJS

Re: New Pennies

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Wrappers are available from some, but not all banks as you're finding out. I have several banks, but none of them are generous anymore with wrappers. (Must be because of that generous 0.01% interest they pay on savings accounts, eh?) Check the internet. I bought a quantity a couple of years ago from String Co., but there are other suppliers. Prices on a per roll basis are cheap, but figure in the postage charges as they're somewhat painful. Hint: Go for the stronger paper stock on the rolls. You'll be much more pleased in the long run.

Can't speak for everyone here, but I don't roll my common coppers. Any clean container can be their home. Coffee cans have always been popular, but be resourceful. Keep in mind that a very large filled container is going to be heavy and tough to move.

Nice to have you posting.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 pm

I roll my coppers. I'd suggest getting the wrappers with one end pre-crimped. It just makes life so much easier.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 am

DJS wrote:Also, I have noticed on some threads and on some other forums that people keep/hoard the newer pennies(1982/83 and up). What is the purpose of this?

Welcome, DJS. I hope you enjoy the association with us and learn a lot from the experienced hands.

Not all the 1982 cents contain zinc. In fact, there are many here who get over 50% of the Cu pennies when sorting 1982s. You should save the good 1982s. I don't know anything about 1983. I thought they were all zincs.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 am

DJS wrote:Been lurking for awhile and decided to sign up and post. I have been accumulating some gold and silver for awhile but just started with copper.
Just finishing my first $25 box of pennies and will then start on my second. I am hand sorting. I have been keeping 1981 and below in one pile and wheats in another.
I was planning on putting the "keepers" in rolls and back into the bank boxes to store. Any ideas on a better way to do it or where to get wrappers? I have checked with my bank and they don't give them away. I can just buy them if need be.

Also, I have noticed on some threads and on some other forums that people keep/hoard the newer pennies(1982/83 and up). What is the purpose of this?

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to learn some things.

Most 1982's are copper. You can weigh them in order to ascertain what their composition is (coppers are 3.2; zincs are 2.5) by purchasing a digital scale like this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/COIN-JEWELRY-DIGITA ... 41584983ae

Blessings on your sorting!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby DJS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks to all. I frequent other types of message boards and it is nice to see a positive board in this one.

I guess I need to communicate better :), I know alot of the '82's are copper, but I meant that I see alot of people keeping the newer zinc coins, what is the purpose of this. I am, (unless I find something rare/unique), just hoarding for metal value, so haven't messed with keeping the zincs, I take them back to a "dump" bank and then go get more boxes to sort.
DJS

Postby Merwanseth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 am

Greetings DJS -

If you are hand sorting, you may wish to familiarize yourself with a site like:

http://lincolncentresource.com/index.html

Besides having a wealth of information concerning all years, they have good pictures and descriptions of post-1982 errors and other varieties that may be worth saving (or selling) if you find them.
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby DJS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:07 am

Merwanseth,
Thanks for the link, awesome site.
I am only hand sorting because I don't want to buy a machine yet. :) I really haven't taken the time to inspect each and every cent for errors, etc., mostly just which ones are copper and wheats.

I am still trying to figure out why people keep/hoard the newer pennies, ie: the 2000's and up.
DJS

Postby fasteddy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 am

DJS wrote:figure out why people keep/hoard the newer pennies,
to lazy to return?

And welcome to the madness...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby DJS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

fasteddy wrote:
DJS wrote:figure out why people keep/hoard the newer pennies,
to lazy to return?

And welcome to the madness...

haha
ah yes, madness it is. Told a buddy of mine how I was going to start combing through pennies now and he thought I was off my rocker. Needless to say, he is now doing the same. Just finishing off a box tonight and then going to go through a box of dimes for a break.
DJS

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing