Unlimited free money!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

% of stash you would sell at 1.5x face weekly

10%
31%
30%
10%
50%
7%
70%
12%
100%
40%

Total votes : 42

Unlimited free money!

Postby timmus0382 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:12 pm

If you had a steady reliable buyer that would purchase unlimited quantities of cu at 1.5x face what percentage of your stash would you liquidate weekly? No gas involved because you pick up and drop off on your way to and from work. You need to get to work anyway.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Unlimited free money!

Postby Corsair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 pm

None. I told myself at the beginning of the year that I won't sell a single copper penny for less than 2x face. Copper today is like silver in the mid 60's. Do you want to take a quick and laughably small profit now, or sit on your hoard as if it doesn't even exist and wait for the good times to come 'round?

Corsair : Copper :: Ray : Silver
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree. I sold a small pile today for 2x to a local craigslist buyer, and even at that I'm developing a case of seller's remorse.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

0%
For all the reasons stated above and also because I hand-sort and my time is worth more than 1.5X FV.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Is that 1.5x AFTER costs? Or 1.5x shipped? The OP should clarify.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm

0% My time is worth more than that.

On the other hand, I'd buy @ less than 1.5x Fv shipped.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Im a small time hoarder,and havent sold a cent yet....its just not time...at 3x face,I MIGHT start to unload some,but im not gonna think bout selling until then.if Id sell anythng right now it would be rolls of wheats or numistmatics like error coins....
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 pm

0% unless I needed the $ for an emergency.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:39 pm

this. :)

Derek.Sheriff wrote:0% unless I needed the $ for an emergency.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Economist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 pm

I chose 100%--this is basically what I do right now.

I understand where you "sort-n-hoard" focused guys are coming from, but you should understand where us "sort-n-sell" guys are coming from.

I for one don't have a whole bunch of cash to park in a pile of copper for years. And if I had a whole lot of cash, I'd be buying ag land as my main investment. But being a "cash flow" sorter actually allows me a pretty nice little side job. Sure, it doesn't pay all that great (yet), but it's fun and I'm building up a business.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Economist wrote:I chose 100%--this is basically what I do right now.

I understand where you "sort-n-hoard" focused guys are coming from, but you should understand where us "sort-n-sell" guys are coming from.

I for one don't have a whole bunch of cash to park in a pile of copper for years. And if I had a whole lot of cash, I'd be buying ag land as my main investment. But being a "cash flow" sorter actually allows me a pretty nice little side job. Sure, it doesn't pay all that great (yet), but it's fun and I'm building up a business.

^THIS^

50% ROI on a 7 day investment. I'd have to be looking at 300X face in a few years to turn down that easy money.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby timmus0382 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm

barrytrot wrote:Is that 1.5x AFTER costs? Or 1.5x shipped? The OP should clarify.

Its 1.5 x but no shipping charges because I can drop them off to the same guy every week on my way to work. I was thinking of selling 100 fv per week and keeping 100 fv for my hoard.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Unlimited? I'd pump that well til it was dry!!!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Snake42 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm

0% you can get much better on ebay.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 am

Corsair wrote:None. I told myself at the beginning of the year that I won't sell a single copper penny for less than 2x face. Copper today is like silver in the mid 60's. Do you want to take a quick and laughably small profit now, or sit on your hoard as if it doesn't even exist and wait for the good times to come 'round?

Corsair : Copper :: Ray : Silver

History repeats itself! 8-)

Case and point.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby NashuaSolstice » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 am

zero
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:07 am

NashuaSolstice wrote:zero

Same here. Mine is long term investment. It is not unlimited, I'm getting about 19-22% copper. The well will run dry one day, when it does I will give you 1.5x face!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:11 am

A few tons. Cycling your capital rapidly is an effective way to grow the hoard.

Better check those eBay prices again Snake.. I think you will be surprised at what a paltry return it is after the eBay/PayPal bite.

Morsecode.. just sell him another half ton and buy it from other members here. You can arbitrage as much as the guy will take without depleting your own hoard and keep some copper for yourself. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 am

1.5x face is not enough money if you have to ship them. Gas to post office, cost of shipping, cost of tape, cost of packing material, etc. Not worth it. If you have a local buyer and you are a machine sorter then yes I can see that. But if I am sorting by hand getting 20% coppers, I have to go through five boxes just to get $25 FV of copper. If you sort a box every 30 minutes that is a $12.50 return for 2.5 hours of work. Its better than nothing if you are unemployed but certainly no way to run a business.

EDIT - not to mention the time it takes to re-roll and return and/or spend the zincs.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:1.5x face is not enough money if you have to ship them. Gas to post office, cost of shipping, cost of tape, cost of packing material, etc. Not worth it. If you have a local buyer and you are a machine sorter then yes I can see that. But if I am sorting by hand getting 20% coppers, I have to go through five boxes just to get $25 FV of copper. If you sort a box every 30 minutes that is a $12.50 return for 2.5 hours of work. Its better than nothing if you are unemployed but certainly no way to run a business.

I have to sort 5 boxes to get one box of copper.. I just try to do it faster.

If you are sorting by hand.. 2x is not enough. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:21 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:EDIT - not to mention the time it takes to re-roll and return and/or spend the zincs.

That is what high speed counters and automatic rolling machines are for. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby snappy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 pm

I would sell them all would be a nice exit. even offer my ryedale cheap. if they picked up and I did not have to delever. heck I would even go lower 1.3 if they took them all.
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 pm

I think a better poll would have been at what price point would you start to sell your hoard off, not how much at a specific price...

With that being said, I think that the future is bright for the people that are holding onto the pennies...

I see myself selling absolutely 0% at 1.5x face, maybe starting to sell at 2.5x and absolutely making jewelry at 3.0x.

For those that use the machines, it is more of an economy of flipping.. for those that hand sort, it is more an economy of pride.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby andrewjackson » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:18 pm

8-) 0% I will be needing tangible assets not if but when the federal reserves circus act Comes to a close.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:10 am

Every time I have listed 100 face for 150 on ebay they have sold. That includes the handling cost that I put in that covers most of the ebay fee. So I would say that anybody who wants to sell there collection for 1.5x face can do it now. The only times I have done it was when I needed cash to buy my weekly bag of pennies at the bank.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing