Penny Sorting Machines

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Penny Sorting Machines

Postby DJS » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I know of the Ryedale, and it looks awesome, just a little pricey for me at the moment. Is there any other sorters that are worth the money or do I just need to save more money and buy the Ryedale.
Thanks.
DJS

Re: Penny Sorting Machines

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Nothing can beat a Ryedale! There is the Ryedale sniper available. PM Ryedale for details.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:51 pm

I agree with highroller. Save your money and get a Ryedale. If you just want to sort a few pennies you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.. but if you want to get serious about sorting, get a Ryedale! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby DJS » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:34 am

haha
Ok, then I guess it is a Ryedale.

Yeah, the "popsicle stick and pencil" are getting old quick.

I assume the sniper is just a lesser/slower version of the std. one?
DJS

Postby Economist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 am

DJS,

The "budget" option is a Ryedale Sniper for somewhere around $100, rigged up to your own feed mechanism. Here's mine:

http://www.tylerawatts.com/Sites_of_Interest.html

If you don't have the engineering skills to build your own hopper, you can buy one through several suppliers:

http://www.happcontrols.com/hoppers/hoppers.htm

Feel free to PM me about setting one up! But as others said, spare yourself a bunch of trouble and get a Ryedale (Sniper)!

-Tyler
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 am

You can roll your own if your handy.

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4741

I'm happy with mine, it is very accurate, and just a little slower. rarely jams and only cost me about 100 bucks to build.

It's doesn't look as nice and you have to figure out a lot of stuff on your own, but if your handy it's an option.

The CC16 Coin mech comparitors are on ebay, mine is built for nickels but works well with pennies. get one with the mount, there is a guy on there selling them with the mount and in coin optics( I have mine hooked to a coin counter) for under $20. I can post a link if there is interest, I'm at work now and eBay is blocked.

I can also help with telling what wire is what on the comparitors and in coin optics.

The hoppers are on ebay also, again get one for nickels. they are under 30 bucks.

Is it a Ryedale? No, but it's 1/5th of the price.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby DJS » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I may be in touch with some questions.
DJS

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:06 am

I am thinking about putting together my own sorter just for fun. I have a Ryedale and I love it, but if I can get a second machine up and running for cheap money, it would help speed up my sorting. I realize that whatever I come up with will certainly not compare to the Ryedales performance and ease of use, but I just feel like tinkering.

I see a CC-16e comparator on eBay for $17.20 shipped and a S2000 hopper for under $40 shipped. I am trying to find one that has the nickel feed wheel because I heard that it works good for cents. No luck yet, except for another auction that has 4 nickel feed wheels alone for $20. Could I power these units with an old computer power supply? I am trying to get away with doing this as cheaply as possible. I might even try to just solder the wiring instead of buying harnesses.

I am interested in any advice from members and also any offers for parts that you might have for sale. THANKS!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:47 am

NHsorter wrote:I am thinking about putting together my own sorter just for fun. I have a Ryedale and I love it, but if I can get a second machine up and running for cheap money, it would help speed up my sorting. I realize that whatever I come up with will certainly not compare to the Ryedales performance and ease of use, but I just feel like tinkering.

I see a CC-16e comparator on eBay for $17.20 shipped and a S2000 hopper for under $40 shipped. I am trying to find one that has the nickel feed wheel because I heard that it works good for cents. No luck yet, except for another auction that has 4 nickel feed wheels alone for $20. Could I power these units with an old computer power supply? I am trying to get away with doing this as cheaply as possible. I might even try to just solder the wiring instead of buying harnesses.

I am interested in any advice from members and also any offers for parts that you might have for sale. THANKS!!

I've got a cc-16, but frankly could not get it to work. (I did learn there are different model numbers, which have different electrical inputs/outputs). I didn't try too very hard, because shortly after I lucked into a discounted Ryedale. However, if you want to give the thing a try I'll ship it to you, and if it works you can pay me whatever you think it's worth.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks Camaro! Anyone have a hopper to unload before I pull the trigger on eBay?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:22 am

Nope.. no spare hoppers. I only have 3.. not enough to share. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Andrew Jackson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 am

:D
Hi, I would just purchase a Hopper from Andy at ryedale. I just bought two and they were very reasonable.
Andrew Jackson

Postby GGerrands » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm still a bit in the dark on exactly what kind of comparitor to buy. Should you get the one with a 13 V or 24 V power supply? Also, I'm not sure if the one I'm looking at on ebay includes the mount & in coin optics. The post on ebay doesn't say anything specific about either of those features, but none of the other ones I've browsed have either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Yep.

I bought a ryedale not long after joining the forum at the recommendation of other members here in a thread very similar to this one. I don't regret it at all, and it's paid itself off now in the amount of pennies I've sorted. Worth every penny.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:17 pm

If you watch the market section there are occasionally used Ryedales offered there. They usually don't last long, but you might get lucky. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby dodgerkim » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Have any of you tried the Coinalyzer? It costs $40 on ebay and you just have to build your own stand
dodgerkim

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 am

I believe some of our members tried the Coinalyzer and were not pleased with the results. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby tinhorn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:45 am

dodgerkim wrote:Have any of you tried the Coinalyzer? It costs $40 on ebay and you just have to build your own stand

Yup, I bought two of them and they're absolute garbage.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing