Newbie in need of help

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Newbie in need of help

Postby Sundevil4life » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi all, I am just getting started in the copper hoarding world and was looking for some feedback. Right now I am doing just $100-$200 a week. I started thinking about it and thought that if you bought 11 ryedales and ran them for 5 hours a day that would be about $10,000 a day you could get through. At 25% cu that is $2500 a day $12,500 a wk, 100k month and 1.2 million a yeAr. If you could sell them for 1.5 a piece you made $600k for the year minus equipment expense, brinks fees, storage etc. So my question is 1) is this logistically feasible/would brinks deliver/haul away this much coin? 2) is there a demand out there for this kind of volume? 3) is anybody out there doing it at this type of scale? Thanks all.
Sundevil4life

Re: Newbie in need of help

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:06 pm

It all seems so easy.. don't it? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:13 pm

It takes more than math and an imagination. Technically, you could be right, but logistically there are very very few people that could pull it off. You have to have a lot of special connections to get that many unsorted pennies and then to return that many zincs. There was an exhaustive thread about this topic a couple of months ago. Do a search and you'll probably learn a lot from that thread.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sundevil4life » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:17 pm

So how much are most people running here? Doesn't seem like it is worth the time or effort unless you are going to run at least $1,000 week through, but then again that's me and I'm obsessive compulsive. Also, where would one go to sell a massive amount of cu pennies for profit? Is there an avenue to sell big volume? I see people selling on eBay but it is $50 or $100 not huge increments.
Sundevil4life

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Nope.. not worth it.. give up now. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby timmus0382 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 pm

I do $250 a week, that's roughly 2700 lbs cu a year at my current 33% average from a string box. It takes me two hours to unwrap them and run them through the ryedale. I figure if I can do that for a few years I'll either have a nice chunk of money saved or a really nice investment once the penny is eliminated. I don't think its unreasonable to get 10 or 20 k face value saved and who knows that could be 20, 40, 50 k depending on the price of cu in a few years. Just put it this way, its forced savings that isint easy to liquidate like using a debit card. Chances are after your in the game a few years you will find a way to sell them above face. To give you an idea I've already found local buyers that will buy all that I can give them at one and a half face value and I've only been sorting with a ryedale for three weeks. You can't go wrong.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NashuaSolstice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

what areas of the country are getting String boxes?
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Economist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Prices are only the beginning, baby! (and Yes, you can currently sell above face)

The name of the game is KNOWLEDGE

Read my research paper for a full explanation:

http://www.tylerawatts.com/uploads/arbitrage_and_knowledgeRAE.pdf

Good luck and welcome to Realcent!
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Sundevil4life wrote: would brinks deliver/haul away this much coin? .

If a Brinks truck was ever seen at my house I can guarantee you my house would be visited by robbers within 24 hours...most probably that same night! :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NashuaSolstice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 pm

pennypicker wrote:

If a Brinks truck was ever seen at my house I can guarantee you my house would be visited by robbers within 24 hours...most probably that same night! :D

hmm good point. im in a safe neighborhood but i know there are prying eyes around..
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Economist wrote:Prices are only the beginning, baby! (and Yes, you can currently sell above face)

The name of the game is KNOWLEDGE

Read my research paper for a full explanation:

http://www.tylerawatts.com/uploads/arbitrage_and_knowledgeRAE.pdf

Good luck and welcome to Realcent!

I just read about half of that paper, very informative. Looks like you spent some time on your research. I would have read the whole thing (I fully intend to at some point), but it's kinda of a pain scrolling so much on an iPhone.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby realfoot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:51 am

in my opinion,if you can drop that kind of money on a weekly basis,i would stack ag or nickel.theres no sorting and look at the performance.you can still quitely hoard your copper and when the time is right unload all your copper at once.you would not want to flag your home as a target.theres not a coin worth a home invasion.
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:27 am

But you got the mean gaurd dog taking care of robbers...?... :D

pennypicker wrote:

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:35 am

Sundevil4life wrote:Hi all, I am just getting started in the copper hoarding world and was looking for some feedback. Right now I am doing just $100-$200 a week. I started thinking about it and thought that if you bought 11 ryedales and ran them for 5 hours a day that would be about $10,000 a day you could get through. At 25% cu that is $2500 a day $12,500 a wk, 100k month and 1.2 million a yeAr. If you could sell them for 1.5 a piece you made $600k for the year minus equipment expense, brinks fees, storage etc. So my question is 1) is this logistically feasible/would brinks deliver/haul away this much coin? 2) is there a demand out there for this kind of volume? 3) is anybody out there doing it at this type of scale? Thanks all.

Sundevil4life.......welcome to the madness.

Many on here look at this as an enjoyable hobby, even many with OCD, with nothing except the potential for great possibilities down the road. There are other aspects to the hobby of searching rolls of coins than just finding the Cu coins. Many on here are also numismatists and enjoy the varieties and errors that they find. So sort a few rolls to a lot of rolls and enjoy the process and the coins you find.

Take some time to read through the old posts. You will learn a lot.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 pm

11 ryedales... can you imagine the jams you would have to deal with.....

I think most people don't process more than $300 a week. It is possible to process with 1 ryedale 2k a week, but it strains you and the banks you work with (unless you have exceptional banks to work with).

Spacing things out a bit isn't a bad idea. Copper doesn't seem to be going from circulation in any rapid pace, and prices aren't going above 1.6 x face value when being sold to the niche market available.

Buy and hold sort at a pace you can handle and you'll have a large amount quicker than you realize.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing