Its kinda amazing how much free banking we get..

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Its kinda amazing how much free banking we get..

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:57 am

As I was dumping some coin yesterday I started thinking about how much free banking I do.. I wonder if someday someone is going to see dep, dep, withdrawal, withdrawal, dep, dep, in one week... I do this at 3 different banks, I take their nice plastic bags filled with coins, and I leave bags of coin for their vault teller to count for me... I take up 5 mins of their time at least once a week while they change coin bags in the counting machines.. All for a bag of chocolates every few weeks... I enjoy the free ride but I think someday it will end...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Its kinda amazing how much free banking we get..

Postby Snake42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:08 am

Sometimes I feel the same way.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:50 am

I think you're spot-on, Diggin. The end could come from individual branches with crabby managers (and/or ungrateful penny dumpers), or it could become a bank-wide policy. Either way, we need to nurture the banking relationships we have. Those chocolates improve tellers' moods immensely!
Last edited by tinhorn on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pachucko » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:48 am

I wish I could find free banking like that!!
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:03 am

I dont feel bad about taking advantage of the bank as a whole, especially after the greed driven financial crash they caused by their loose lending and financial gamesmanship they played over the past several years. What I am concerned about is the bank tellers and individuals at the bank branches that are just doing their jobs. I don't want to take advantage of them or put them out so I do try to bring donuts, starbucks cards, and other small tokens of appreciation from time to time.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NashuaSolstice » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 pm

if we all collectively bring treats on a regular basis and kiss ass on a regular basis, we the people of this site could actually contribute to a slightly longer period of free banking.. Ahem I mean free dumping and coin delivery ;)
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

I got some comments the other day when I dumped a couple of boxes of halves. I try real hard to spread them out, but it isn't always possible. Silver has been slim pickins lately, but I am not willing to give it up yet.

I have some branches that know I have an account and don't ask any more. Often they will just take the halves and exchange them for cash. I like this, because it helps keep a low profile.

I also spread things out with different banks and make payments with my dumps as often as I can.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Gamecock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:10 pm

what do banks do with all the boxes of halves that are dumped?
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:45 pm

The tellers have to UNroll them and put them into bags of $1000 each to ship back to the Fed. That's why they don't like seeing you bring them in.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Economist » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Same thoughts here- that's why I cherish the tellers who give me coin. I go out of my way to treat them well. Donuts, candy, small talk; heck, I even give them coin collecting tips here and there!

Don't abuse a "free" service--find a way to pay for it anyway, and you'll be fine.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Cherish it now because soon it will be just a memory...I got the talk at lunch today....$2 plus 10 cents a roll....$60 for 12 boxes of cents, another $20 for the four boxes halves plus the $2 order fee. Sir would like to open a business account....?

NO.

Dang and that was may favorite pick up bank....close to work, all attractive tellers and bankers very helpful....now just a memory....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Gamecock wrote:what do banks do with all the boxes of halves that are dumped?

They send them to Country to add to his streak.

I try so save them from having to do all that work by counting the halves loose into a bag.. saves me the time and expense of running them through the automatic rolling machine.

fasteddy.. does that mean they just converted themselves to a dump bank? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:39 pm

That's why you help them out by taking all of their CWR, no unrolling for them, they will love ya! :)

BamaJoe wrote:The tellers have to UNroll them and put them into bags of $1000 each to ship back to the Fed. That's why they don't like seeing you bring them in.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:That's why you help them out by taking all of their CWR, no unrolling for them, they will love ya! :)

BamaJoe wrote:The tellers have to UNroll them and put them into bags of $1000 each to ship back to the Fed. That's why they don't like seeing you bring them in.

Yep, that's one reason I take everything they want to get rid of. I also provide them with machine wrapped rolls that they can give directly to the merchants.. so they are never short of coins just because corporate wants to limit their ordering. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:23 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
Gamecock wrote:what do banks do with all the boxes of halves that are dumped?

They send them to Country to add to his streak.

I try so save them from having to do all that work by counting the halves loose into a bag.. saves me the time and expense of running them through the automatic rolling machine.

fasteddy.. does that mean they just converted themselves to a dump bank? :mrgreen:

HCBTT.....I didn't know you had a picking/taunting bone in your body......you are just to darn nice for it. :lol:

Poor ol' Country has been hard at it....took a break....then back at it again. Hats off to the man for not giving up as I know I did. Some day he will hit a CnC, DD, or JT box. It will happen.......just takes time and volume.

As the willey veterans say: if your %'s are low sort more.....if your %'s are high just sort more.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:48 am

Yes, the tellers need to urwrap the rolls and put them in bags to ship the halves back. That is one reason that I always dump $1000 at a time. I don't want to have them have half a bag sitting around waiting for enough to send them back. I also try to dump as many as I can when I pay my morgage and credit card bill. They can't refuse.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 am

Rodebaugh wrote:HCBTT.....I didn't know you had a picking/taunting bone in your body......you are just to darn nice for it. :lol:

Just good natured ribbing amongst friends. I blame him and his darn silver searcher score tracking thread for my obsession for sorting through so darn much clad coinage in the hopes of a silver lining. All this silver searching is starting to cut into my copper sorting a little bit. Someday the Silver Santa will visit me again though. You can't win if you don't play! :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby fasteddy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:32 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:fasteddy.. does that mean they just converted themselves to a dump bank?

well hmmm, that bank does hold my mortgage....I have almost a grand of zincs and i know I have a grand in Halves, maybe so... :twisted:
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing