1975 penny keeps going to the zinc side?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1975 penny keeps going to the zinc side?

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 pm

I bought some pennies that was hand sorted and the fellow I bought them from just kept all of the 1982's pennies.

So i send them thru my machine with a zinc accept and the machine accepts this 1975 penny. Rest of the accepts are 1982, with one or two other later zincs thrown in.

So I feed the 1975 back thru, and it's accepted on the zinc side again. It's accepted everytime matter of fact.

I weighed the cent in question and it weighs 3.1 gram.

Any ideas?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: 1975 penny keeps going to the zinc side?

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:24 am

Possible metal composition flaw. Just like the early wheats and Indian heads that make it into the zinc pile.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 am

I did some research and they did make aluminum pennies in 1974 and 1975, the cents were never released into circulation, but some examples were given to congress.

BTW, this one is not aluminum, it weighs too much.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Hold penny firmly firmly between thumb and index finger of dominant hand. Place remaining exposed area of coin between rear molars on the same side of mouth as dominant hand. Bite down hard on penny to secure it in place. Pull down hard with dominant hand to confirm if coin will bend. If tooth breaks before coin bends, contact Rodebaugh via PM for assistance.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing