Other Coin Sorting Machine

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Other Coin Sorting Machine

Postby anarchir » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post here. As a matter of introduction I would like to say that the other forums I post at are whenshtf.com, forums.silverseek.com, and bbs.freetalklive.com.

To get to my question, I have just recently stared into Copper Penny Bullion Investing and have been hand searching. I think it would save a lot of time and I'd be able to work up enough pounds to sell them off a lot quicker if I had a machine to help. I see that most people reccoment Reydale sorters, however there is no way I can afford to spend that much money on this purpose. Also, I wont be sorting nearly enough pennies to make that worthwhile. Are there any other, significantly cheaper machines which I could get or even make?

I have looked into getting the Coinalyzer machine (details below), what do you think of it? Have any of you used it?

http://copperpennysorter.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pANmastNB24

Thanks in advance!

~anarchir
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Other Coin Sorting Machine

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:18 pm

You can build your own using a coin comparator and some sort of feed mechanism. Ryedale is still the best out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_uUHnjw ... ata_player
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby anarchir » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Is there any cheaper comparitor where all I have to do is build my own hopper and collector at the bottom? Thats all I really need is the comparitor. Any links to places to buy them affordably would be appreciated! I'm not looking into a Ryedale at this time, no matter how much people push them as being the best.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Somnophore » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 am

To my mind there is such a thing as false economy, my motto "buy cheap, buy twice" (or more).

Surely if you buy a used ryedale, run pennies until you want to give up, then sell the used ryedale unlikely you will loose any money on it, wheras you buy a cheap machine it won't work as well and it wot hold any value.

Im UK based and have no experience of these counters but from my time on here they are universally hearalded as the best.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby anarchir » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:49 am

Hmmm. Perhaps I wont get a machine then. I cannot afford to invest that much money at this time.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Number21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:58 am

anarchir wrote:Is there any cheaper comparitor where all I have to do is build my own hopper and collector at the bottom? Thats all I really need is the comparitor. Any links to places to buy them affordably would be appreciated! I'm not looking into a Ryedale at this time, no matter how much people push them as being the best.

That seems to be what this "coinalyzer" kit is.
http://copperpennysorter.com/Coinalyzer ... DIYKIT.htm
$35 isn't bad, I've seen coin comparitors on ebay for cheaper, but I'm not entirely sure which one you need or how to set it up. At least the coinalyzer is ready to go for pennies, just add some bins and a some sort of feed mechanism. Even without a feed mechanism that's better than doing each one by eye.

That's really all the ryedale is, isn't it? A high speed coin feeder on top of a comparitor?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 am

Number21 wrote:
anarchir wrote:Is there any cheaper comparitor where all I have to do is build my own hopper and collector at the bottom? Thats all I really need is the comparitor. Any links to places to buy them affordably would be appreciated! I'm not looking into a Ryedale at this time, no matter how much people push them as being the best.

That seems to be what this "coinalyzer" kit is.
http://copperpennysorter.com/Coinalyzer ... DIYKIT.htm
$35 isn't bad, I've seen coin comparitors on ebay for cheaper, but I'm not entirely sure which one you need or how to set it up. At least the coinalyzer is ready to go for pennies, just add some bins and a some sort of feed mechanism. Even without a feed mechanism that's better than doing each one by eye.

That's really all the ryedale is, isn't it? A high speed coin feeder on top of a comparitor?

You'll see other older threads on this and similar topics. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3009 The coinalyzer is built off of a chinese-built comparator, the CH-268T. This unit has mixed performance. I've got one and it works but drives me a bit crazy becasue of the anti-fishing feature which beeps loud and for 3 seconds (and during which it stops comparing and feeds everything to the reject side) every time it thinks someone has dropped a coin on a string down it. It works better for others. And it doesn't work at all for still others (my first unit was a complete dud, returned it for the one I have).

I finally bought a used american made unit - a cc-16 - from tinhorn which I beleive is the same one Ryedale uses - believe tinhorn has a second still available. However I haven't yet had time to get it up and working. But VWBEAMER used one to make his own unit - see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4741
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Number21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:04 am

68Camaro wrote:I finally bought a used american made unit - a cc-16 - from tinhorn which I beleive is the same one Ryedale uses

Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/BALLY-5000-COIN-COM ... 27b9a7ce14
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 am

Get a CC-16 set up for nickels. They make them for pennies but they are hard to find. Mine works very well.
Check out the link 68Camaro posted to see my machine and to find out info on how to wire the CC-16.

I had a CH268T, and the anti fishing feature will not let it run over about 100 coins a minute and can be picky if feed my hand if two coins touch while going thru the machine.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 am

Man, snag one of those puppies! That's a lot less than 68Camaro paid me, but don't say anything to him, okay?

I bought two of those units from coinalyzer, and even with two of them in a series, their performance was dismal. I was losing 2% of my copper, and the copper side was being contaminated with 1% zinc. (That's 50 coins and 25 coins per box, respectively.) On another forum I learned that they most likely have an anti-fishing feature, but without a warning beeper. Basically, they're crap, but they CAN speed up your handsorting if you use them to eliminate the zincs. Then you only handsort about a third of the coins instead of ALL of them.

I wouldn't have a Ryedale had it not been for a stroke of good fortune through another forum member, so I sure understand that a $500+ investment is impractical for a lot of folks. You might want to check out the Penny Miser--I've read varying reports about it's performance.

I'm gonna hang onto my remaining CC-16 until I know that 68Camaro's happy with the one he bought from me, but to help out a newbie, if you want to mess with an Ebay Special, I'll sell you one of mine for ten bucks (including shipping) just to get it out of my hair. They're kind of ugly since I used JB Weld to glue exit tubes to the bottoms of the units. I'm too cheap to simply throw them away.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am

Get a 10$ digital scale....then weigh and go, faster than looking at the dates.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am

Go with a Ryedale Sniper. It's quality and accuracy is in-line with the Ryedale standard, but it's a hand-fed unit, and I think it'll run you right at $100. Hand sort $100 worth of copper, sell it for $160, and get the Sniper for virtually $40. Can't beat that.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby anarchir » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Corsair wrote:Go with a Ryedale Sniper. It's quality and accuracy is in-line with the Ryedale standard, but it's a hand-fed unit, and I think it'll run you right at $100. Hand sort $100 worth of copper, sell it for $160, and get the Sniper for virtually $40. Can't beat that.

Hmm. I might have to consider this, you guys are really talking me into it. Perhaps I could sell off some of my silver coins to pay for it. I'll be sad to let the stuff go, but I can always buy more once I'm in business selling copper pennies. Now I have to look into where to buy a Sniper.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm

anarchir wrote:
Corsair wrote:Go with a Ryedale Sniper. It's quality and accuracy is in-line with the Ryedale standard, but it's a hand-fed unit, and I think it'll run you right at $100. Hand sort $100 worth of copper, sell it for $160, and get the Sniper for virtually $40. Can't beat that.

Hmm. I might have to consider this, you guys are really talking me into it. Perhaps I could sell off some of my silver coins to pay for it. I'll be sad to let the stuff go, but I can always buy more once I'm in business selling copper pennies. Now I have to look into where to buy a Sniper.

PM the user here named "Ryedale."
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby anarchir » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Roadrunner wrote:
anarchir wrote:

PM the user here named "Ryedale."

Thanks.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby penniesnmore » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 pm

http://www.penniesnmore.weebly.com has a machine similar to a ryedale except it has a metal chute instead of plastic and when you sort out the zincs first, resort the coppers for any zincs along with the early date wheat pennies... its called the Penny Miner
penniesnmore

Postby Mooski » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm

My only complaint about my Ryedale is the plastic chute. Pennies are dirty, filthy things - and pennies sometimes 'gum up' on the plastic, and then it jams.

I can clear a jam in 15 seconds, but it just annoys me.

Best $500 that I've every spent. Sure, you can cobble some sort of comparitor and feeding system together for 1/10th the price, but you'll have nothing but duct tape and bailing wire holding it together.

And it seems the only zincs that get on the copper side are the ones that accidentally fall out when clearing said jam, or when two pennies go thru at almost the same time and the lever can't keep up. (From a penny sticking on the plastic.)

The feeder works like a champ, it's almost like the Ronco Rotisserie - set it and forget it!

The only other option is to get a small coin scale that is accurate to the tenth of a gram. Your local coin shop should have one for about $10-20. I have one that runs on 4 AAA batteries and is "Item No USN-250".

So either $10-20 or $500 - I really don't think that there is anything in between...
Mooski
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:51 pm

I would put my "duct tape and bailing wire machine" against anything out there, never jams and no "dry slide needed. Once I get the proper power supply, I can run the same speed as a Ryedale, possibly faster because the S2000 hopper can run faster.

Not trying to say the Ryedale is not a good machine. or not a good value. There is over 300 in parts in a ryedale by my math. The machine works well, and Andy takes care of the users. Certainly worth $500 bucks.

But there is certainly something between 20 bucks and 500 bucks if a guy is handy and doesn't mind using some used parts off ebay. There is no need to try and slam me and my machine. I don't go down to McDonalds and slap the spatulas out you hands while your at work, so there is no need to slap my work around.

Mooski wrote:My only complaint about my Ryedale is the plastic chute. Pennies are dirty, filthy things - and pennies sometimes 'gum up' on the plastic, and then it jams.

I can clear a jam in 15 seconds, but it just annoys me.

Best $500 that I've every spent. Sure, you can cobble some sort of comparitor and feeding system together for 1/10th the price, but you'll have nothing but duct tape and bailing wire holding it together.

And it seems the only zincs that get on the copper side are the ones that accidentally fall out when clearing said jam, or when two pennies go thru at almost the same time and the lever can't keep up. (From a penny sticking on the plastic.)

The feeder works like a champ, it's almost like the Ronco Rotisserie - set it and forget it!

The only other option is to get a small coin scale that is accurate to the tenth of a gram. Your local coin shop should have one for about $10-20. I have one that runs on 4 AAA batteries and is "Item No USN-250".

So either $10-20 or $500 - I really don't think that there is anything in between...
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:57 pm

anarchir wrote:Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post here. As a matter of introduction I would like to say that the other forums I post at are whenshtf.com, forums.silverseek.com, and bbs.freetalklive.com.

To get to my question, I have just recently stared into Copper Penny Bullion Investing and have been hand searching. I think it would save a lot of time and I'd be able to work up enough pounds to sell them off a lot quicker if I had a machine to help. I see that most people reccoment Reydale sorters, however there is no way I can afford to spend that much money on this purpose. Also, I wont be sorting nearly enough pennies to make that worthwhile. Are there any other, significantly cheaper machines which I could get or even make?

I have looked into getting the Coinalyzer machine (details below), what do you think of it? Have any of you used it?

http://copperpennysorter.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pANmastNB24

Thanks in advance!
~anarchir

anachir,

Use gravity and inertia to build your own primitive coin separator using primitive machines. The inclined plane is all you need. It's simple Newtonian physics.

Build a coin "ski jump" out of sheet metal you can buy from a hardware store. Buy an 8 inch x 50 foot roll. Take pliers and bend up the edges to build sides ( I used a sheet metal brake) so the coins don't slip off the metal as they slide down-slope. Do this with about 8 - 10 feet. Now, attach it to a wall somewhere using small shelf brackets. At the bottom of the slide, gently bend an arch into the metal upwards so when the coins slide to the bottom they are projected at a slight upwards trajectory as they leave the slide, just like a ski-jumper would be.

The coins will travel different distances from the slide based on their weights. Brass (copper) pennies weight just a little more the zincs do, so, they will land at a different location than the zincs do. Easy as pie!

It takes a little experimenting to get it just right. The steeper the incline, the faster the velocity when the pennies leave the jump. You will also need to experiment with exactly how far the pennies have to travel in space before they separate out, and the same thing as to where they will land. It is all do-able and you will spend less than $50 bucks!

I built a hopper/shelf at the top of mine to dump the pennies, then I hand feed the pennies onto the inclined plane. Make sure all pennies enter the "ski-jump" flat and at the same rate of speed. The rate of pennies/hour is dependent on how fast you want to feed the pennies into the jump. I took a buffer wheel onto a drill and polished the metal to make it faster. Velocity is your friend with this little jump.

Have fun with it!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby anarchir » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks for the idea Sheikh! Its so simple, I might just have to try that. I have some old hot wheels track at my parents house that might do the trick.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 am

The Hot Wheels track idea made me laugh! I had not thought of that. Just remember, the greater the velocity of the coins as they leave the ski-jump, the farther the they will travel in the air. The farther they travel in the air, the farther apart they will be when they land.

After that, you will need to do a secondary hand sort to look for the really worn brass (copper) coins that are now as light as the zincs (old wheaties and Indian Heads)

Later, you can buy a coin sorting machine with your profits.

EDIT: Oh, there is one other thing. Feed the coins onto the inclined plane one at a time. En masse coins bump into each other are screw up their trajectories. :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

repressed memories

Postby scentavoh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:41 am

oh the dreaded hot wheel tracks! reminds me of when as kids we would get in trouble and mom or dad would come at us with a stack of tracks. the loud noise was more memorable than the actual impact....unless they left the purple track connectors on!
scentavoh

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:14 am

I know this is about a year old thread but.... I would like to get something cheaper at first to start out. Have there been any progress in some of these other machines yet? Are there any newer threads about othe options? Or is a Rydale really the only way to go for less hassel??
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:23 am

Numis Pam wrote:I know this is about a year old thread but.... I would like to get something cheaper at first to start out. Have there been any progress in some of these other machines yet? Are there any newer threads about othe options? Or is a Rydale really the only way to go for less hassel??

Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220994614837
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby BCD11 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:39 am

If you are at all handy, or know someone that is, making a sorter is not that difficult. It can be anything from a combination, slot machine hoppper, chute, and comparitor to an adapted cookie sheet with a comparitor stuck on the end. I know, when I first saw the cookie sheet contraption I chuckled. But after thinking about it, the thing really is a masterpiece of simplicity.

I have built two sorters using slot machine hoppers, odds & ends for a chute, wall wart power supplies, and a CMI coin comparitor...each for significantly less than $100 apiece. Trickiest part of my Rube Goldberging was making sure the chute was aligned exactly with the intake slot on the comparitor. Trust me, when it wasn't lined up and the sorter was humming along at 300 coins/minute things got real exciting real fast.

IMO, if I were starting in this addiction again, I'd give the cookie sheet gizmo a try. It's about as simple as you can get construction wise. And, with a little practice, I could see a fair number of coins being sorted in a short time.

If you build anything using a comparitor I suggest you stick with the Coin Mechanisms, Inc. (CMI) CC-16D or E 13VDC comparitor. I believe CMI is the brand Andy Ryedale uses on his sorters and I know CMI is the mainstay of the casino world...at least those that still use coins. From my own experience, and others' comments, those Chinese comparitors, CH2??'s or whatever, are not reliable. Stick with an American made CMI comparitor.

With a little effort you can build a sorter that should allow you to buzz through many more pennies than by hand.
BCD11
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing