Grandma's Penny's

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Grandma's Penny's

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 am

Sorted about 10 lbs of my deceased Grandmother's old pennys. Found over 100 40's and 50's wheats. 6 30's, 3 20's and a 1919 and 1911.

They were dirty as some of the girls I dated in College and almost as much fun to put my hands on. :lol:

Anyone else found some nice things in older family piles?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: Grandma's Penny's

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:00 pm

About 10 years back I had a great aunt die and I got her (small) coin collection. The highlight was a 1864 L indian head. A few barber dimes and buffalo nickels too. Never going to sell these as they have sentimental value that spot could never reach.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby timmus0382 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:30 pm

My aunt just recently passed and we were going through her things and I found a bunch of stuff from international silver that my grandfather gave her over the years. My grandfather worked there for a long time. I don't know the exact content of it yet, I have to do more research. I guess I'm lucky growing up in the "silver city" meriden connecticut. I'd imagine there is tons of old silver in the houses in that town, everyone worked there.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Number21 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:27 am

I used to have a big bag of old coins from Grandma, haven't been able to find it in about 10 years. I sure wish I knew where it was...I know there were a bunch of steel war pennies and silver nickles/quarters in there. Probably other valueable stuff I can't remember. It would have much more sentimental value than monitary value though.

My grandma would be so proud of my penny sorting, she did basically the same for decades. Back when pennies were worth less than a cent! :lol:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing