Advice! How will you sell your silver? In what order?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Advice! How will you sell your silver? In what order?

Postby Thogey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 pm

My hoard is composed of categories.

Junk (flatware jewelry etc)

US junk ( .90 US coins)

Silver dollars

foreign (I include US, .40, .35 and foreign coins of various purity).

Generic .999

Premium .999 (ASE, Maple leafs, premium bars, like engelhard etc)

What it comes time to sell. What goes first and why
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Advice! How will you sell your silver? In what order?

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:29 pm

worst stuff first... refineries will be the buyers when a guy like Thogey decides to sell. To process the lower end purity takes more energy and money. At the peak, when most any kind of silver become available, then the refineries will either stop taking in low-end lots, increase the time it takes to process them, or possibly reduce the payout percentage.

Get these lots processed into higher end silver soon. Silver is silver, so the foreign stuff and the junk would be the first to go for me. Then the US 90%.

I'd get rid of the generic silver rounds before the silver dollars... but that's just me :D

Industrial standard is 999 fine. The really big buyers, the end users in industry, don't care what form it is in... only that it meets standards. I've always thought that a core of 999 fine anything is the best way to go. International adaptability ;)

But the jingle of silver dollars is always a nice sound, too
Last edited by Market Harmony on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Thogey wrote: When it comes time to sell. What goes first and why

Let me know when that is.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:43 pm

I second this: Sell the lower quality items first and then work forward.

For one simple reason: If you are ever in a severe crisis you can move the high quality items MUCH more easily than the lower quality and with much less spread.
barrytrot

Postby realfoot » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:46 am

i have a time in the future(12 years or retirement)when i will sell it all at once.i stack for preserving my life style,but if you are in it for playing the market then i agree that the .999 should be the last to go.
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:22 am

The Rode-order of liquidation :P

#1....................Junk (flatware jewelry etc)........................................................Keeping only your best stuff
#2.....................foreign (I include US, .40, .35 and foreign coins of various purity).........It all goes
#3.....................US junk ( .90 US coins)............................................................retain 25% of your best stuff
#4.....................Generic .999.......................................................................It all goes
#5.....................Premium .999 (ASE, Maple leafs, premium bars, like engelhard etc).......It all goes
#6.....................Silver dollars.......................................................................retain 25% or more of your best stuff
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Slaphot » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 am

Here is my list.

1) US 35% and 40% (Already Sold)

2) Foreign Junk

3) US 90% Junk

4) Peace and Morgans

5) .999 Generic

6) .999 Premium

7) US Type Set and Foreign Collection

I'm not planing on selling my type set or my foreign collection any time soon. I also might trade some or all of my generic .999 for fractional gold if the GSR ratio drops below 20.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am

i'm selling stuff with a numismatic premium first, but otherwise i agree with you guys.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am

Yep, least pure first - 35%, 40% and foreign. I am not selling my 90% and .999 as I feel this might be needed further down the road.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i'm selling stuff with a numismatic premium first, but otherwise i agree with you guys.

I was thinking this too, I sold a pile of morgans a few weeks ago, with a 2 or 3 dollar premiun I got 30 each (boy do I regret doing that, but most were ugly).

Why is this your opinion LT?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby MontanaPM » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:55 pm

US 90% goes first.
JM and Engelhard 10oz bars and 1oz rounds go 2nd
Maples, then Eagles.

I don't hoard anything else, when I get something else I try to "upgrade" it
Not that other country's coins are lesser, I just live in the US, so Eagles are best for me
MontanaPM

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun May 01, 2011 7:52 am

well i have different thoughts than a lot of people, and this question sort of goes to what will everybody else want in the future, so the fact that i think differently may mean i'm the wrong person to ask.

as for numismatics, there are two schools of thoughts. Dr. Steve Sjugerrud thinks that numi premiums have to rise because they are too low. things like art have been going up. I don't know that much about collectibles but i do understand money/bullion so for me it seems safe to capture whatever premium you can now and reinvest in bullion. there is no guarantee that is the better play, but to me its safer because i know why i am buying bullion.

i'm not so sure about selling 90% first. certainly if you have underweight 90%. one of the reasons it goes for a discount to .999 is because .999 is a known quantity. but if you weigh 90% it is too. also, it comes in fractional sizes which will be useful if silver hits $100, $300, or $500. Realistically, i expect silver to triple in purchasing power, meaning you will get somewhere from 1-3 tanks of gas or perhaps a week's groceries for a dollar FV. It might go to 500 with a reduction in purchasing power. but at $500/oz you will really want fractional.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:well i have different thoughts than a lot of people, and this question sort of goes to what will everybody else want in the future, so the fact that i think differently may mean i'm the wrong person to ask.

as for numismatics, there are two schools of thoughts. Dr. Steve Sjugerrud thinks that numi premiums have to rise because they are too low. things like art have been going up. I don't know that much about collectibles but i do understand money/bullion so for me it seems safe to capture whatever premium you can now and reinvest in bullion. there is no guarantee that is the better play, but to me its safer because i know why i am buying bullion.

i'm not so sure about selling 90% first. certainly if you have underweight 90%. one of the reasons it goes for a discount to .999 is because .999 is a known quantity. but if you weigh 90% it is too. also, it comes in fractional sizes which will be useful if silver hits $100, $300, or $500. Realistically, i expect silver to triple in purchasing power, meaning you will get somewhere from 1-3 tanks of gas or perhaps a week's groceries for a dollar FV. It might go to 500 with a reduction in purchasing power. but at $500/oz you will really want fractional.

I am keeping an open mind and will stay as flexible as possible, but tend to agree with LT. I have already purged essentially all foreign, <90%, and .999 rounds. (The few pieces I still have are either transitional to be traded soon, or I'm keeping just because I like them.) I am keeping 90% and 99.9% coin, and the well-known larger .999 bullion. The 90% may eventually get the point of needing to be weighed for use, especially the worn/slick, but that's okay. No problem with that. It will always retain something close to its intrinsic content value - close enough - and it is a known recognizable item that it will not need to be explained. (Canadians, Brits would say the same about their 80% and sterling, etc)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 01, 2011 8:19 am

I meant to add this. For smaller exchanges, and for change, small denominations will be needed. Gold will be worth far too much. Silver - unless some new small coinage is created - will also be too large. Silver dimes will be the new $5 equivalent. That's a major reason I have the nickel and copper that I have. It will have utility as change.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Sun May 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i'm selling stuff with a numismatic premium first, but otherwise i agree with you guys.
I'm going to avoid the numismatic. Collector stuff is great when the economy is good, a waste of money for the average Joe when it's bad, and the economy is too bad now to even look at collectibles, IMO.

I think the scrap silver market will dip, then come back up a few years later, so there's no need to get in a panic to sell "before it's too late".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bankmining » Sun May 01, 2011 5:54 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Yep, least pure first - 35%, 40% and foreign. I am not selling my 90% and .999 as I feel this might be needed further down the road.

Same here. I roll hunt halves and always sell or trade up tp 90% when I find 40%'s. Always sell 35% and foreign. Keep 90%'s for SHTF possibility and keep .999 for retirement/long term investment.

BTW ,shouldn't this be in the Silver Forum?
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun May 01, 2011 6:04 pm

That's funny.

You're the first one to notice I messed up the category.

It's a good thread though.
Thogey

Postby TXTim » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

I have been selling off 35%, 40%,75% and some 90% in the last few weeks and converting to gold. I think the gold correction will be less severe than the silver correction that is imminent.
Will buy silver again when the price is right- usually in June.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby moneydog » Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 pm

where would you sell you junk at
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby moneydog » Sun May 01, 2011 11:57 pm

moneydog wrote:where would you sell you junk at

:evil:
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby moneydog » Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 am

get rid of the junkfirst moremoney upfrontgot therere attion then to dump thre reset onnthem
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 am

moneydog wrote:
moneydog wrote:where would you sell you junk at

:evil:

I don't own a junk although I know many people in Hong Kong like theirs because it provides both a home and transportation for them.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby marine70 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 am

Sold all my 40%, War and some canadian. However if the price is right I will buy again.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Sold all my 40%, War and some canadian. However if the price is right I will buy again.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

marine70
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing