bags

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

bags

Postby eric273 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 am

where do you get a bag of pennies.? NONE of my banks will give me bags Especially the ones with coin counters... They say NO WE GIVE THEM STRAIGHT TO THE FED
I like cheese !
eric273

Re: bags

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

Leg work! Hit every bank and branch. Even the ones you don't have an account with. I have one....just one out of over 100 tries...and I think I just found #2. Funny thing is this possible #2 bag source is a small branch of my supply bank...and every other branch of my bank I have tried has told me "NO!". Gotta keep trying!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 am

Chocolate :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby eric273 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 am

Is there any other way I should refer to them (Bags) That banks might understand better
?
I like cheese !
eric273

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 am

I had the same response you've been getting...Do you have any bags of pennies? No, we never have those for sale. Then, one day I asked for commercially deposited cents. The teller said, "Yes, we can sell you one or two of those bags" :?

Keep trying.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 am

Morsecode wrote:I had the same response you've been getting...Do you have any bags of pennies? No, we never have those for sale. Then, one day I asked for commercially deposited cents. The teller said, "Yes, we can sell you one or two of those bags" :?

Keep trying.

This is why the forum is so valuable!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Morsecode wrote:I had the same response you've been getting...Do you have any bags of pennies? No, we never have those for sale. Then, one day I asked for commercially deposited cents. The teller said, "Yes, we can sell you one or two of those bags" :?

Keep trying.

Do you have bags? No

Do you have commercially deposited cents? Yes

We can sell you some of those BAGS? Uhhhhh REALLY? Hummmm wonder why banks are failing.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby CU Baker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:05 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Chocolate :mrgreen:

and he still can't get bags!
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:15 pm

CU Baker wrote:

and he still can't get bags!

Ouch! Hey, I got a bag once. They had broken all the pennies out of the rolls and were just getting ready to ship it.. but I talked them out of it. It's a real challenge talking them out of bags they were already intending to ship.

Probably a good thing I can't get bags.. imagine all the zincs I would have to dump. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Number21 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:34 am

Credit unions seem to be a lot more customer friendly for stuff like this. I have multiple locations of the same branch that will give me $50 bags of the nasty pennies that come into their sorter...though it doesn't hurt that I have an insider. ;)
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 am

Call all the banks that are close by and ask them if they offer coin counting and if they do you might tell them that if they sell them to you you will not bring them back to them. Take them back to a bank ,CU that does counting but will not sell you the bags I found out from a Branch that the cost of shipping the bags shows on there P&L statement so you would be helping them out. I found a bank that will sell all the bags we want but then found that my son Franklin who has autism who is the sorter will not go through bags. I found out he has a problem starting and stopping a job he would want to do the whole bag in one sitting so it rolls for him only. Though the bank will call me when the get a full bag of half dollars . :D I can make the time for silver mining. :D
Joe
Franklin's Dad
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aaa30040 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:30 am

I think banks would want us to take the bags. I spoke to the branch manager about ordering pennies and she said that I could get as much as I wanted as long I paid what they are charged for delivery. She said $4.44 per $50 penny bag is what they are charged for shipping back to fed or receiving from fed ($8.88 round trip). So taking a bag they were to ship saves the bank $4.44.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue May 03, 2011 7:42 am

aaa30040 wrote:I think banks would want us to take the bags. I spoke to the branch manager about ordering pennies and she said that I could get as much as I wanted as long I paid what they are charged for delivery. She said $4.44 per $50 penny bag is what they are charged for shipping back to fed or receiving from fed ($8.88 round trip). So taking a bag they were to ship saves the bank $4.44.

That is why I can never understand when banks say I am sorry but we can't sell bags to the public it is against our policy. They would rather sell them back to the FED for a charge than sell them to one of their customers and save the money they are going to pay out in fees. Plus they would have happy customers because they are able to get bags at their bank. So it is a win win situation for the bank. But most will still continue to say sorry we can not sell you any bags. And then there are those banks that just say sorry we can not order or sell any coins to the public at all even with a fee. When they tell me that I always respond with gee "Excuse me for thinking I could get coins at a BANK."
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 am

On the other hand when my son Franklin was filling out his SBA, Sacagawea, Native American and Presidential books we bought a bag of dollars from the bank and it was $15 short and had 65 pieces of car wash tokens , Chuck E Cheese tokens etc. When I called the bank about the problem they said that coin counter would not have a problem with the tokens and that I had bought the bag as-is. I told the banker before you stick with that answer could look in the bag dollars and see if there was any tokens in the bag. She said she would call me back and when she did she asked what account I wanted I wanted the $85 credit on. Also I got to keep all the tokens. :D So maybe they had some one get mad at them when there bag was short. I later found out that the Feds will short pay the bank if they have a problem with the bags sent in.
Joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Crescendo » Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am

NDFarmer wrote:
aaa30040 wrote:I think banks would want us to take the bags. I spoke to the branch manager about ordering pennies and she said that I could get as much as I wanted as long I paid what they are charged for delivery. She said $4.44 per $50 penny bag is what they are charged for shipping back to fed or receiving from fed ($8.88 round trip). So taking a bag they were to ship saves the bank $4.44.

That is why I can never understand when banks say I am sorry but we can't sell bags to the public it is against our policy. They would rather sell them back to the FED for a charge than sell them to one of their customers and save the money they are going to pay out in fees. Plus they would have happy customers because they are able to get bags at their bank. So it is a win win situation for the bank. But most will still continue to say sorry we can not sell you any bags. And then there are those banks that just say sorry we can not order or sell any coins to the public at all even with a fee. When they tell me that I always respond with gee "Excuse me for thinking I could get coins at a BANK."

Bank policies don't always follow logic though. Many branches are required to send them back to their cash shipment courier because when the courier verifies the bags, they are not just verifying the amount in the bag, but as a secondary benefit, verifying the counting machine is actually working correctly. By providing a customer with the bags, this eliminates the ability to verify the machine is working correctly through that route, making someone have to physically come out to conduct maintenance on the machine. Not saying they have the best set up, but just explaining one of the main reasons I'm aware of (I've worked in a bank a long time). There are a slew of other reasons too.

I know a branch at a bank that actually has to recount all the coin that comes into their branch... ready for this? By hand. They have to crack all customer rolls, count them, reroll them, then ship them out.

PS: Have you ever seen the inside of an armored truck courier service portal? It's.... a nightmare haha.
Last edited by Crescendo on Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Tue May 03, 2011 8:59 am

Got to love that private sector! It's always so efficient! They don't care about these fees because some non-members will still pay 5-10% for coin counting.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Crescendo » Tue May 03, 2011 9:02 am

PolishPunisher wrote:Got to love that private sector! It's always so efficient! They don't care about these fees because some non-members will still pay 5-10% for coin counting.

Banks made most of their money from interest fees for lending, and overdraft fees. With relatively recent law changes regarding overdraft fees (making the revenue for banks decrease DRAMATICALLY), those coin fees will be going up.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ibeakc » Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm

The first bank I asked offered me all of their bags each thurs morn before the thurs afternoon armored pickup to go to the FED. They even let me dump all my zincs while im picking up(FOR FREE!). The same bank (different branch) said no way, not a chance, take 1 box and go away. Then they lady called over the branch manager, an avid coin collector, she says, he proceeds to explain to me how I won't find much of anything and shouldn't waste my time searching. Then he gives me the direct line to the STL FED, (bout 10 Min away) and says that I should see if they will sell me $50 bags of pennies if I want them that bad!!! :!: :?: :lol: Is there a single person ever that has done direct business with the FED?? Am I completely wrong or does the FED do business with licensed banks EXCLUSIVELY??
ibeakc

Postby Morsecode » Tue May 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Good luck with that one. You'll probably end up being dragged out of your car at the first security checkpoint and water-boarded.

But, hey...if he gave you the phone number go ahead and call. You can say Mr. So-and-So, the manager at XYZ Bank, thought you might be able to accomodate me.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 pm

If you are going to call, ask for 10 bags of halves! That would be your best bet, I would bribe them to get bags of halves to search... dont settle for pennies.. go for the gold.. er silver
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Number21 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:07 pm

henrysmedford wrote:On the other hand when my son Franklin was filling out his SBA, Sacagawea, Native American and Presidential books we bought a bag of dollars from the bank and it was $15 short and had 65 pieces of car wash tokens , Chuck E Cheese tokens etc. When I called the bank about the problem they said that coin counter would not have a problem with the tokens and that I had bought the bag as-is.

That would ENRAGE me! I already feel like throwing the worthless peices of canadian steel at the tellers when the machines won't accept them. How did they get in the box I bought from you if you don't accept them?! :roll:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue May 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Number21 wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:On the other hand when my son Franklin was filling out his SBA, Sacagawea, Native American and Presidential books we bought a bag of dollars from the bank and it was $15 short and had 65 pieces of car wash tokens , Chuck E Cheese tokens etc. When I called the bank about the problem they said that coin counter would not have a problem with the tokens and that I had bought the bag as-is.

That would ENRAGE me! I already feel like throwing the worthless peices of canadian steel at the tellers when the machines won't accept them. How did they get in the box I bought from you if you don't accept them?! :roll:

The photo is two of the tokens we got in the bag. Also a teller told me later that the bag that they checked had a large number of tokens in it and that is why I got the credit. Also they had to call the Cummings coin counter people out to fix it. :D Also my son Franklin who is the sorter has autism and when he find odd things they have to go in 2x2 so I also had to by a new box of 2x2. :mrgreen:
sc0111a76e.jpg
sc0111a76e.jpg (190.13 KiB) Viewed 588 times
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Today was dunkin' doughnut munchin day...for the tellers...my treat!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby John_doe » Tue May 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Cookies have worked for me!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 pm

ibeakc wrote: Then he gives me the direct line to the STL FED, (bout 10 Min away) and says that I should see if they will sell me $50 bags of pennies if I want them that bad!!! :!: :?: :lol: Is there a single person ever that has done direct business with the FED?? Am I completely wrong or does the FED do business with licensed banks EXCLUSIVELY??

Order BIG! :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing