Question on storage

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Question on storage

Postby lakehouse » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Does anyone know (or experimented with) the most efficient way to store the coins? Is it better to stack the rolls or leave them loose in buckets to minimize space?

Thanks
lakehouse

Re: Question on storage

Postby slickeast » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:25 pm

not this question again

Depends on volume that you are sorting..

rolling is a lot of work, bags are good for some, others use buckets with lids, or even 55 gallon drums.

I like the 2 1/2 gallon buckets that I get from the bakery. They hold about $115 and are easy to move
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Ah, the often answered question. Canvas bags or buckets. All loose for me.

Deal

p.s. Does the search feature work here?
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Corsair » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:25 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:Ah, the often answered question. Canvas bags or buckets. All loose for me.

Deal

p.s. Does the search feature work here?

Yes, quite well. But let's not knock on lakehouse. He hasn't even been here a month yet.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby didou » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:48 pm

For the Canadian copper you are probably better by stocking them loose as they only seem to sell by the pounds due to the change in weight between different years.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Wasn't knocking him. I was really wondering about the search feature because there are a lot of the "basic" questions that are asked/answered all the time. I don't have a problem helping, or I would not have even answered....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby lakehouse » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 pm

I guess I didn't word it as clear as I thought. I'm trying to get an idea on how to make best use of a given amount of space (e.g. x cubic feet). Is one way more efficient (in terms of holding more coins) than others?

FWIW, I did try some searches but they all seemed more concerned with safety from being stolen, corrosion damage, and weight/ease to move. While these are also concerns, I am currently faced with space constraints as well. I've got a few unused cubbytype holes and other deadspace areas available that are perfect in that they are out of both everyday sight and daily activities. I'm looking to fill these as efficiently as possible. I know i don't want to use any round containers because of the lost space vs a square [ pi*r^2 vs (2r)^2 ] , but within a squarish container (say an ammo box), can one fit more coins loose or rolled? Relatedly, if anyone knows of a cheap place for 25-50 of the ammo boxes...
lakehouse

Postby slickeast » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 pm

For space saving, rolled. It is nearly impossible to get $25 loose back in a penny box.

Reuse $25 penny boxes. As long as you don't have any moisture concerns, or bug and critter concerns, this would be the best method. IMO
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby twentybux » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:27 pm

slickeast wrote:For space saving, rolled. It is nearly impossible to get $25 loose back in a penny box.

Reuse $25 penny boxes. As long as you don't have any moisture concerns, or bug and critter concerns, this would be the best method. IMO

Ditto with Slick. If you have the penny boxes from the bank, why not use them. Best of luck! Twenty
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Number21 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 am

slickeast wrote:For space saving, rolled. It is nearly impossible to get $25 loose back in a penny box.

I agree, though I wouldn't (don't) bother rolling them. A $25 box should hold at least $20 loose. Even thousands of dollars in pennies doesn't really take up much space. I have a bunch of clear glass 6 gallon jugs I fill with them and display...I'm not worried about somebody stealing my pennies with a forklift when there's a laptop sitting on the couch and a flatscreen on the wall...
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing