Give a penny, take a penny

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Give a penny, take a penny

Postby Chief » Sun May 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Have I really gotten this far that every time I am inside a gas station that I go through the give a penny, take a penny dish? I never find more than 4 or 5 coppers, but being a smoker I probably stop by the gas station about once a day. In a week, that amount of coppers has to add up. Anyone else religiously check the give a penny, take a penny tray? By the way, today I found a 1953-d wheat and a AU 1973.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Give a penny, take a penny

Postby timmus0382 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:34 pm

yup I get a half dozen a day at different gas station stops. I gave up trying to explain no one understands.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun May 08, 2011 6:12 pm

My eyeballs aren't good enough to see the dates. But I'm a substitute teacher, and a recent lesson in an elementary class was learning to add coins and make different combinations. This teacher had a bunch of real pennies mixed in with all the plastic ones, and I had to stop myself from offering to buy the wheats from the second-graders.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Sun May 08, 2011 7:26 pm

I contemplate exchanging zincs for coppers but havent yet done it...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 pm

I have graduated to the point where I just brazenly take them with no explanation.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Sun May 08, 2011 7:57 pm

I swap any since I might get in change with any coppers in the tray
TXBullion

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun May 08, 2011 7:59 pm

I still check all of them. And take 'em.... I too stay quite about it. I just get odd looks, but I don't care, hehe.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby merchoarder » Sun May 08, 2011 8:18 pm

I haven't started swapping out coppers yet but I always look. I have found about three wheats in the last year! Just took 'em :D I've pulled five or six nickels out too and a few quarters. It's amazing what people will put in there!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sun May 08, 2011 10:28 pm

I never replace the pennies in the trays. The fact is that no one cares about the give a penny, take a penny tray. To the uneducated, they are just pennies, but to me (us) it is a few extra coppers that you would not have if you didn't take them.
I am sure the clerks wonder what the heck I am doing checking all the dates and only keeping a few, but I also ask for a roll back if my change is greater than $.50. I assume you all also pick up pennies off the ground, since those are free as well (often copper too :)).
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun May 08, 2011 10:49 pm

I've done it, but out of courtesy, I replace what I take. It looks good and the guys behind the counter don't think of me as being a jerk. I want them to keep it in place, not take it away.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby andrewjackson » Sun May 08, 2011 11:04 pm

:lol: Thanks guys, I thought I was going nuts. I've gone as far as going through through the entire tray also,and replace with worthless zinc. Definitely have received the strange looks. I just smile and keep collecting
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 am

andrewjackson wrote::lol: Thanks guys, I thought I was going nuts. I've gone as far as going through through the entire tray also,and replace with worthless zinc. Definitely have received the strange looks. I just smile and keep collecting

I do it too, when I am not in a hurry. I just tell them I collect old pennies(old, like me!). It always brings a smile. ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Wed May 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Morsecode wrote:I have graduated to the point where I just brazenly take them with no explanation.

My my...now that's some cajones you got there. Just take, don't ask. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby assetcoin » Sun May 15, 2011 10:19 am

I always look to see how many "good ones" I can see, but I don't have the guts to take them.
assetcoin

Postby OtusLotus » Sun May 15, 2011 4:10 pm

I always go thru the tray, no matter where I am!

Whether gas stations, convenience stores, adult erotic toy store (see earlier post)....

It doesn't matter to me.. I have a mission in life, to acquire a lot of cents... whether they are copper cents, wheaties, or common sense.. it is all a game to me!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gobirds » Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I too am obsessed. I tried to pry a pre-1982 penny from the street in NYC when traffic started. It got stuck in the tar and I tried to free it. Almost wound up like a squished bug on the front of a cab, but at least I got a good story, even if I could not get the Lincoln.
Gobirds

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm

assetcoin wrote:I always look to see how many "good ones" I can see, but I don't have the guts to take them.

Sissy, hehe.

Just take 'em. What can they say? Remember, you collect copper cents for a hobby and you need more coppers. Those are actually free coppers if you do not replace them. I used to replace them, but not any more. After all, that is not the stores money. It belongs to the sucker who just left it. Finders keepers....

I have seen a sign on one that said, "Need a penny take one, need two get a job." I still took several, left none, and I'm employed, hehe.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby corky569 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:20 am

Last week I stopped at a small fishing store and his penny tray was overflowing. I picked up a King George, a wheat, and a copper Canadian. He didn't ask, I didn't tell. I did spend 15.00 bucks in there though.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby merchoarder » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Found another wheat in give a penny-take a penny tray! There were only two pennies in the tray and the wheat stood out like a sore thumb!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Wow. I just read this whole thread. I'm obviously falling behind.

I don't know that I can do this yet. I think I have to try though now. Thank you.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZigMeister » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:47 am

The last couple of times I went to my favorite Chinese restaurant I looked thru their GPTP dish to take out the coppers and had always replaced what I took. This last time I pulled 10 Cu (one was a 1940 Wheat) and was going thru my change to replace them when the cashier said to just take them. :D
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm

I have never done this, but I have eyeballed the thing a few times since the start of this thread. I don't think I would do it unless I saw a wheat or Canadian.

What if someone threw a vdb s in one of those things, that would start a brawl if more than 2 realcent members were present.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 am

How do you think the hoard got so big? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby John_doe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:How do you think the hoard got so big? :mrgreen:

abnormally large (unuseable) loafer collection?

Sorry been wanting to use that one for a while now. This is the best circumstance I have found to apply the joke.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 am

Does anyone know where you can get those trays? Started thinking and realized I could harvest some good copper from one. Nothing shady. But if I put one at the register in the restaurant I work in it could really pay off. I seed it with ten or twenty zincs and everyday I replace the coppers with more zinc. That's harmless right? Just need to find one, looked on the bay and couldn't find any? Thoughts?
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing