They DO exist!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

They DO exist!!

Postby merchoarder » Sun May 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Indian heads and silver Washington's in the wild, Merc's in dime rolls, Walkers in bank tellers trays, Bigfoot and Aliens. Sure I've heard stories and believe they are out there somewhere. But I'm small time, no Ryedale, no standing orders for boxes of halves, dimes or pennies. I sort about $10-$20 in pennies a week, check my change and keep my nickels,buy Mercury dimes as my small budget allows. Just an enjoyable hobby with nice long-term upside. Anyhow, I'm a cook at small restaurant. I've worked there for years and everyone knows I collect so whenever we get rolled cents for the register I swap them out with rolls of zincs. I brought five rolls home last night after a brutal shift over the sweltering grill and the first one I opened was...drum roll please...SOLID wheats!!!!!! Fantastic, made my week, hell, my month! They DO exist!! Whoo-hooo, alright, off to look for Bigfoot (He's out there.)
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: They DO exist!!

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun May 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Sweet!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby sparechange » Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Congrats on a neat find!! We all share the joy. Just need to find more and more and more.........
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Bully!

Go get more. Someone spent the coin collection.

The 'Eldery Old lady' once again blew her late husband's coin collection
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Good for you! It's those kinds of finds that keep me going back to the bank again...and again. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Sun May 08, 2011 11:03 pm

I've found some cool find such as Indians, George V's, and few blank zinc planchets, but never a full roll of wheats. That is awesome.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby andrewjackson » Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 pm

:D Awesome, that's a whole tribe!
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 09, 2011 12:24 am

Great story. Wish it would happen to me.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby anarchir » Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 am

merchoarder wrote:Indian heads and silver Washington's in the wild, Merc's in dime rolls, Walkers in bank tellers trays, Bigfoot and Aliens. Sure I've heard stories and believe they are out there somewhere. But I'm small time, no Ryedale, no standing orders for boxes of halves, dimes or pennies. I sort about $10-$20 in pennies a week, check my change and keep my nickels,buy Mercury dimes as my small budget allows. Just an enjoyable hobby with nice long-term upside. Anyhow, I'm a cook at small restaurant. I've worked there for years and everyone knows I collect so whenever we get rolled cents for the register I swap them out with rolls of zincs. I brought five rolls home last night after a brutal shift over the sweltering grill and the first one I opened was...drum roll please...SOLID wheats!!!!!! Fantastic, made my week, hell, my month! They DO exist!! Whoo-hooo, alright, off to look for Bigfoot (He's out there.)

WTF you're like my doppleganger. I hand sort, max of $25 in a week, Mercury dimes are my favorite silver to collect, I've only got about 12 ounces or so of silver, I am a cook at a restaurant, etc.

Hope you had some fun with the nice rush this weekend brought on. We got slammed from both Mothers Day and a bunch of local Proms.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby aristobolus » Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 am

Whoo Hooo!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby merchoarder » Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Cashed in $14 dollars of zinc today and of course got 28 more rolls of pennies. 13 were bank wrapped and 15 were customer wrapped. TEN of the customer wrapped rolls were skunks!! Ughh... Believe it or not those were the first skunk rolls I've ever got so I actually found a roll of solid wheat before I found one of solid zinc! Silly how these things work. Excluding the skunk rolls I got about 29% copper and 5 wheats so still a pretty good haul.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

Congrats on the great find! I wonder if whoever rolled up your skunk rolls is a member here. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby merchoarder » Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Congrats on the great find! I wonder if whoever rolled up your skunk rolls is a member here. :mrgreen:

I wondered the same thing. I was not aware of any other sorters in my area but that, of course, doesn't mean they aren't here. Clearly they are. The rolls were marked with a O with a slash through it. Alright, Who was it :evil: lol.
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Gobirds » Sun May 15, 2011 5:00 pm

I brought five rolls home last night after a brutal shift over the sweltering grill and the first one I opened was...drum roll please...SOLID wheats!!!!!! Fantastic, made my week, hell, my month! They DO exist!! Whoo-hooo, alright, off to look for Bigfoot (He's out there.)

Rock On! Go get more.
Gobirds

Postby merchoarder » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 pm

So I only had to work the lunch shift yesterday (11-4) and got home around 4:30. At around 5:30 one of the girls at work calls me and says "I just opened a roll of pennies and they look old, they say one cent on the back. Do you want me to save them for you?" Absolutely, Thanks, I say. I get to work this morning and sure enough, a "solid" wheat roll is stashed for me (solid in quotes because it was actually 49 wheats and one 1989? Guessing she used that one in change before she noticed). I brought a few rolls of zincs with me to swap out that roll and the rest. Got three other rolls, two were machine wrapped unc 1985's and one was a skunk. I cracked one of the 85 rolls because it was tails tails but I saved the other. I went to the credit union where we get our coin on my lunch break and bought $10 dollars of customer wrapped rolls, hoping to get more of the goodies. Lol, all skunks besides a few copper 82's. Wish I could have got more but I don't have an account there and the tellers aren't very friendly. I plan on opening an account tomorrow before work and trying to buy as many CWR's as possible. Two solid wheat rolls in as many months is pretty sweet and I love the girls I work with!!
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Congrats on your great find!! :D The only solid rolls I find are zinc or clad. ;)
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 pm

hirbonzig wrote:Congrats on your great find!! :D The only solid rolls I find are zinc or clad. ;)

No crap, me too! :D
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:43 am

merchoarder wrote:Indian heads and silver Washington's in the wild, Merc's in dime rolls, Walkers in bank tellers trays, Bigfoot and Aliens. Sure I've heard stories and believe they are out there somewhere. But I'm small time, no Ryedale, no standing orders for boxes of halves, dimes or pennies. I sort about $10-$20 in pennies a week, check my change and keep my nickels,buy Mercury dimes as my small budget allows. Just an enjoyable hobby with nice long-term upside. Anyhow, I'm a cook at small restaurant. I've worked there for years and everyone knows I collect so whenever we get rolled cents for the register I swap them out with rolls of zincs. I brought five rolls home last night after a brutal shift over the sweltering grill and the first one I opened was...drum roll please...SOLID wheats!!!!!! Fantastic, made my week, hell, my month! They DO exist!! Whoo-hooo, alright, off to look for Bigfoot (He's out there.)

Congrats. Ih cents are hard to come by, but I have found 2 in the past week! (ryedale)

that brings my grand total to........drumroll........3
:D
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:39 pm

I got a box a while back with 670 or so wheats! best roll had 48.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:49 pm

merchoarder wrote:So I only had to work the lunch shift yesterday (11-4) and got home around 4:30. At around 5:30 one of the girls at work calls me and says "I just opened a roll of pennies and they look old, they say one cent on the back. Do you want me to save them for you?" Absolutely, Thanks, I say. I get to work this morning and sure enough, a "solid" wheat roll is stashed for me (solid in quotes because it was actually 49 wheats and one 1989? Guessing she used that one in change before she noticed). I brought a few rolls of zincs with me to swap out that roll and the rest. Got three other rolls, two were machine wrapped unc 1985's and one was a skunk. I cracked one of the 85 rolls because it was tails tails but I saved the other. I went to the credit union where we get our coin on my lunch break and bought $10 dollars of customer wrapped rolls, hoping to get more of the goodies. Lol, all skunks besides a few copper 82's. Wish I could have got more but I don't have an account there and the tellers aren't very friendly. I plan on opening an account tomorrow before work and trying to buy as many CWR's as possible. Two solid wheat rolls in as many months is pretty sweet and I love the girls I work with!!

The coin gods are smiling down upon you! I have never found a solid roll of wheaties during my searches. Congratulations! :)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 pm

CoinHuntingObsession wrote:I got a box a while back with 670 or so wheats! best roll had 48.

WOW!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 pm

best coin in that box was either the 1917 or the 1929 S, so no reallt good dates. lots of BU copper, though. ( I am working on a roll set)
Edited to fix my terrible typingg.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Conga rats! Savor the moment, remember the thrill :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Subby » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:07 am

Add a third kitchen soldier to the list. I'm an akm/sous/whatever at a sports bar. I work with a wide array of interesting people to put it mildly. I also buy some US 90% when funds permit, save all nickels and Cu Abes, etc. Since I'm a manager I try to sit in on when the drawers are being counted. I always run thru the pennies and put aside the good ones, then trade whatever clad I have for Jeffersons. Also, keep an eye on those 5g buckets, a lot of folks will buy/trade for them. Same with milk crates(quasi legal, they've been considered garbage everywhere I've ever worked).

Sub

(P.S. Yunz guys, I'm from SwPa too, Mon/Yough chapter)
Subby

Postby merchoarder » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:04 am

Subby, Welcome to the board, lots of good people and good info here! "I work with a wide array of interesting people to put it mildly." That's one way to put it, gotta love the food service industry, never a dull moment! I'm getting a little tired of these 90+ degree days, makes the kitchen kinda unpleasant, but hey, pays the bills and I really do enjoy the job 80% of the time. You're right about the buckets and we go through quite a few. There is no one on here all that close to me that I know of though.
Funny story about your name. Years back when I started working at the place I'm at now this regular started calling me subby. He's in about three times a week and gets the same sub every time. He couldn't remember my name but he said I made the best subs so he just starting calling me "subby." He was in today and he still calls me that. Made me chuckle when I saw your name.
Keep an eye on that register, you never know what you'll find!
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing