storing copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

storing copper

Postby cb350f » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 am

Hi guys, I'm a newbie. How do you guys store your copper cents? Do you roll them so that you know how many you have, or just throw them in a can?
thanks
cb350f

Re: storing copper

Postby aristobolus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Welcome. I store them either in twenty five dollar boxes (the ones they often come in from the bank), old sewn mint bags (increasingly hard to obtain at bank-I guess you can use the newer, plastic ones), or five gallon water containers (you can get them from water supply businesses- ask for "leakers" [these have small, insignificant cracks, holes, or usually I can't even see the imperfection] and they will either give them to you for free, or at a nominal charge.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:48 pm

I roll my copper cents and keep them in coffee cans. I keep my nickels in a locked drawer. I like keeping them rolled because you can inventory them easier.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 pm

get a open head barrel(drum) and toss 'em in....a "barrel o pennies" be sure to put it somewhere so you will not have to move it later...it maybe a bit heavy.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 pm

fasteddy wrote:get a open head barrel(drum) and toss 'em in....a "barrel o pennies" be sure to put it somewhere so you will not have to move it later...it maybe a bit heavy.

This also makes them harder to steal! Can't steal it if you can't move it!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:57 pm

I use canvas bag that I still get for some of the banks
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mcsusanquilts » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:02 pm

I just started storing my pennies 3 weeks ago. I make my own penny storage boxes and miniature money bags to store my pennies in. I like to recycle. Each box holds 8 miniature money bags. Which comes to a total of 2400 pennies per box. These boxes are small, so you can hide them almost anywhere. I have a double wide metal cabinet in which I put my boxes in. I love these cabinets; because you can lock them up. :P
Last edited by mcsusanquilts on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mcsusanquilts

Postby rickygee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 pm

I've been using 1/2 gallon fruit and tomato juice jugs. I intend to tape them together to make them a little more theft resistant when I have more. Intend to have a hidden box cutter close by. When these are emptied they will be cut open. Not even going to try to pour cents out that small opening.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby ZigMeister » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:22 pm

Most of mine are rolled and placed back inside the $25 box they originally came in. That way they can be stacked and strored inside another larger box. I got a couple of Green Pepper boxes from the local supermarket and they hold 18 $25 boxes nicely. :)
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby commoncents » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 am

Some people have stolen manhole covers to sell as scrap. (? 125 lb each ?) I doubt you can deter theft by the the weight of your hoard. You could store it loose in a container that would disintegrate if the thief tried to pick it up.
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Postby GA-Silver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:34 am

I keep mine in those old green army ammo cans. They are easy to stack, plus they have a good carry handle.
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 am

Store mine loose in the boxes they came in. Tape them up and stack them. Have put some in coin lock bags when I can get them from the bank.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris819 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:00 pm

I roll and put back in the $25 box that i get from the bank. It is easy to see how much i have.
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm

I used to take the time to roll my cents but after I retired I stepped up my handsorting by using coffee cans and then when I ramped up sorting even more I started using canvas bags. I store the bags in totes and then store the totes on skids in my garage.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby oktyabyr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:15 pm

I store mine in bags in a kitty litter pail. Works wonders. Hidden, and easy to carry.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing