Throwing Pennies Away

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Throwing Pennies Away

Postby mcsusanquilts » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:24 pm

I have noticed since I started saving (hoarding) my pennies; that people actually throw the pennies on the floor at work or on the ground outside. I work at a fast food restaraunt. I have been picking them up everytime I work. I have been gaining $3.00 extra per week. This helps out when you can not afford to put much aside. Some customers actually tell me that I can keep the pennies from their change. How many people pick up the pennies on the ground?
mcsusanquilts

Re: Throwing Pennies Away

Postby bman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 pm

I pick up every penny I see on the ground, sometimes my wife rolls her eyes but hey money is money...
Make sure you check around the drive thru area, lots of dropped coins out there.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mcsusanquilts » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 pm

I do pick up the pennies from the drive-thru. I work the overnight shift; so I go out at 5 a.m. and tell them that I am going to pick up the trash in drive-thru. I also pick up the coins on the ground. I do this 2 times a week. The other 3 times I just stay inside. I went for a walk tonight. I picked up $1.22 from the fast food places nearby. :mrgreen:
Last edited by mcsusanquilts on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcsusanquilts

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm

I always pick up pennies. I used to work at a fast food place and I would always swing by the drive through on the way to my car and pick up all the change. Never turn down free money!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZigMeister » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Find a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck!
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:27 am

Not only do I pick up all the ones I see on the ground....I got a metal detector to find the ones I can't see! They add up!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 pm

I've been bending over and picking up cents since I was kid. I never pass them up when I see them, no matter where I am at. I picked up thousands of them walking between classes when I was at the university. A trend I noticed the last ten years I was there was a growing number of quarters, dimes and nickels mixed in with it.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Joogaler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:54 pm

I always pick up any change I see, even if it's a penny covered in something questionable.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 am

It's amazing....I've found 872 pennies so far in the last month and a half with my metal detector. At least half of them are surface finds....no digging....just bend down and pick up. 223 were copper! It seems like everyone but us crazy copper people are just throwing all of these pennies away on the ground. I'll keep picking them up to go with the rest of my dumps while copper and silver hunting!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 am

I always pick up pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, fiat, and the occasional trade dollar (I wish!). I found my first wheat penny as a kid on the ground in a parking lot...made my day! :)
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 am

I pick the up as well. Can't believe how many people tell me they just throw them out as welt. Bet the landfills are just full o pennies!
misteroman

Postby adagirl » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am

I too pickup pennies from the ground. I have even convinced several of my co-workers to give me their pennies and nickels. For some co-workers I pay them back with a greenback when it adds up, but other co-workers could care less and just give their pennies and nickels. Keep collecting!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby justoneguy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:33 pm

my buddy lives close to an unmanned toll road exit.
he "walks his dog " past it a couple of times a month late at night.
he can pick up $20 some nights
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby abe » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Heck yes I pick them up. Once I picked a dime out of a urinal, what. Thats why we have soap & water, right?
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 pm

I thought about this thread today. I was in a gravel parking lot, and saw something round, so, out of habit, I picked it up. Turned out to be a 79 Susan B Anthony dollar. No metal value, but it's the first time I've found a dollar coin.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:02 pm

When I'm out walking I 'm alway looking for coins to pickup.
dakota1955

Postby agmoose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:27 am

Yep, my wife even points them out. She won't actually go pick em up, but she'll point them out to me.

On the ground next to trash cans at car washes I always find change - some people even stack it up and leave it by the vacuum.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thesilvertiger » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am

I pick up any change I can find, then put in a cup. When I have enough to buy an ounce of silver I do so and call it "free" silver. Right now I can't find change fast enough to keep up with the rise in silver prices. I may have to shoot for the half ounce bars at my LCS.
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am

1. If your local post office has a postage "vending machine" in their lobby, take a few steps back from it and get a good look underneath it and beside it. You can often find dollar coins since this is a common place for them to be received in change. Where I lived 6+ years ago had one and there was almost ALWAYS at least a quarter under it.

2. Often at places like Chuck E Cheeses you can find tokens on the floor if your arm is longer than a child's. Or quarters at arcades between TRON and POLE POSITION. Wait, it's not 1983. But I often found pennies, nickels, and dimes at arcades, because they were worthless to the addicted gamers there.

3. I know it's already been mentioned, but I can attest to it, since my first job was at a fast food restaurant. Drive-through windows are great! People drop change there all the time. Sure, I'll sweep the parking lot!

4. I hadn't thought about vacuums at car washes. But I did once find a $20 bill when I was working at a car wash.

Interesting that TheJonasCollegeFund has found so many pennies with the metal detector, and that even for these, the copper percentage is just over 25%.
uthminsta

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:17 pm

I always pick up pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters. I always pick them up heads up though (I know silly superstition). I'll flip them if they are face down and pick them up :-)

I saw a woman at work one time pick up a couple of pennies off the floor in her office and throw them in the trash. I was in shock and of course had to retrieve them.

I find them a lot at the gym; either around cardio equipment or flat benches.

I always live by the saying "A penny saved is a penny earned"
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Always pick up any money I see on the ground. Might streach it a bit to go into the toilet for one though, unless it was a gold double eagle...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 am

I make it a habit to always look down at the floor while in line at McDonald's and the check out line in Wal Mart- I don't hesitate to pick up a penny. My wife has even started picking them up. One nite I pulled in to Wal Mart, got out of my car and found about 20 pennies that someone had evidently dumped. Bonanza!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mooski » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:34 pm

I actually throw some pennies away. They're so gunked up and/or corroded that it's just not worth the hassle of trying to get rid of it.

But a few days ago, I found a dollar bill on the ground - so I guess that makes up for the dozen pennies or so that I've thrown away! :D
Mooski
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Money is money....I picked up a nickel today going into my office building.
Copper Catcher

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm

I always find money and pick it up. I think I have been trained or something because Im always the one to spot money on the ground even if in a group. At my previous job there were always pennies or nickels on the ground near the change room and everyone eventually knew I was the only one picking them up. People started picking them up and giving them to me. Due to the low wages everyone always complained about not having enough money and this still happened.

The best part about finding change on the ground is that it is TAX FREE!
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing