What do you think is up with this?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What do you think is up with this?

Postby OtusLotus » Thu May 12, 2011 9:25 pm

My girlfriend works at a bank, and a customer walked in today and bought $10,000 worth of Presidential Dollars :?:

She said all of the tellers/bankers were excited and helped the guy to his car with all of the bags of dollars..

She says he is a customer, and one of the bankers said that he works in a hotel and uses them for tips.

I believe he is like the rest of us, a hoarder, but I (nor my girlfriend) can understand WHY they bought all of these dollars and she wanted me to see if anyone here has any ideas.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What do you think is up with this?

Postby Neckro » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Thought it read brought. Not Bought.
Last edited by Neckro on Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Crescendo » Thu May 12, 2011 9:35 pm

OtusLotus wrote:My girlfriend works at a bank, and a customer walked in today and bought $10,000 worth of Presidential Dollars :?:

She said all of the tellers/bankers were excited and helped the guy to his car with all of the bags of dollars..

She says he is a customer, and one of the bankers said that he works in a hotel and uses them for tips.

I believe he is like the rest of us, a hoarder, but I (nor my girlfriend) can understand WHY they bought all of these dollars and she wanted me to see if anyone here has any ideas.

I'm sure there are people who feel that to acquire that many in one go would be very difficult, and therefore may pay a premium. Only thing I can think of .... were they circulated? It really wouldn't be that difficult to order that many whenever one wants. I mean I could do it tomorrow. Just, like you said, what's the point? Kind of like people who collect two dollar bills. Again, I can order as many as one would want.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 pm

According to my girl, she said he was a customer, so I assume the money was just deducted from his account.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 pm

I am assuming they had to alert the fed of the withdrawal of $10,000, but in dollar coins? That is quite a few.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Roadrunner » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Melt Value = ~$700

:lol:

FAIL.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu May 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Maybe he wanted the bank bags? How much are they worth or cost?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Crescendo » Thu May 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Chief wrote:I am assuming they had to alert the fed of the withdrawal of $10,000, but in dollar coins? That is quite a few.

Technically it isn't $10,000.00. A CTR is $10,000.01+.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Chief » Thu May 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Crescendo » Thu May 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Chief wrote:Ok, thanks for clarifying.

That doesn't mean there aren't other forms that are worse than a CTR that are supposed to be filled out.... while we are clarifying :)

EDIT: And believe me, this kind of hobby makes it on those forms....
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby OtusLotus » Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 pm

CTR? Cash transaction?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 am

What about a trip to Ecuador it is the number coin there. Also the Fed just sent a boat load of them to Zimbabwe about a half dozen countries use them more than we do. :D For info see-- http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294307-i2253-k4082225-l29885892-Presidential_dollar_coins_usage-Ecuador.html and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollarization#U.S._dollar
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Number21 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:27 am

henrysmedford wrote:What about a trip to Ecuador it is the number coin there. Also the Fed just sent a boat load of them to Zimbabwe about a half dozen countries use them more than we do. :D For info see-- http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294307-i2253-k4082225-l29885892-Presidential_dollar_coins_usage-Ecuador.html and

Huh...I knew they used US dollars in other countries, but I never knew they were exclusive currency like that. The fed actually endorses this?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 am

Number21 wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:What about a trip to Ecuador it is the number coin there. Also the Fed just sent a boat load of them to Zimbabwe about a half dozen countries use them more than we do. :D For info see-- http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294307-i2253-k4082225-l29885892-Presidential_dollar_coins_usage-Ecuador.html and

Huh...I knew they used US dollars in other countries, but I never knew they were exclusive currency like that. The fed actually endorses this?

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_coin_%28United_States%29
From that this "The Sacagawea dollar has achieved popularity in Ecuador, where the US dollar is also the official currency.[17]"
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri May 13, 2011 6:24 am

sounds like a money laundering scam...

shamelessly posted as this is the 10000th post on the copper penny investing forum :mrgreen:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 13, 2011 7:13 am

Number21 wrote:

Fed doesn't care, but has no say in this one way or other. It's the Treasury Department's decision, and as long as they are paid for them, they don't care either. The US Mint does also does contract work on occasion, as well, for other countries. So does the Canadian Mint.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 am

As far as the request, it's probably real, and probably what the hotel hands out in change for people asking for tip money. 10,000 for a big hotel doesn't go very far.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby tinhorn » Fri May 13, 2011 10:38 am

Some of the early ones were missing the text that is normally stamped into the coins' edge. I understand that those are quite valuable. I learned this AFTER handing out a couple rolls of them as change at a small airport gift store I operated briefly.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Fri May 13, 2011 10:47 am

I have heard that in the event of monetary collapse such as Argentina had (was the country named for silver? Just realized as I typed that ARGENTina, ha ha) that as the decimal point moves to the left for notes (1.00 goes to .10, the coins move to the right i.e. .10 becomes 1.00)

I do not know if it is true, but maybe he's a prepper/hedger?

I'm betting tip money. I heard of a "gentleman's Club" that would get all the 2 dollar bills they could lay hands on. They did not give ones out as change, the 2's helped the dance.... errrr "entertainers" draw more money!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby aaa30040 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:11 pm

He should have bought directly from the US mint. You can buy at face, shipping is free and you can pay with a credit card and get the rewards points.

The intended purpose of the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship program is to make $1 coins readily available to the public, at no additional cost, so they can be easily introduced into circulation—particularly by using them for retail transactions, vending, and mass transit. Increased circulation of $1 coins saves the Nation money. The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ifier=8100
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 13, 2011 4:33 pm

aaa30040 wrote:He should have bought directly from the US mint. You can buy at face, shipping is free and you can pay with a credit card and get the rewards points.

The intended purpose of the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship program is to make $1 coins readily available to the public, at no additional cost, so they can be easily introduced into circulation—particularly by using them for retail transactions, vending, and mass transit. Increased circulation of $1 coins saves the Nation money. The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program.

I'm too lazy to go find the earlier related posts, but there is a thread or two on this from some months ago. I was doing this regularly until I got side-tracked by the silver run-up. Cool thing about it is you can charge it to your credit card, get the points or miles on the card, there is no extra fee (contrary to some other advice given), and they deliver right to your box (though only if you get the smallest $250 amount - if you order larger sizes they hold them at the PO, so you have to make a trip). There is a maximum order per month, however. Don't remember what it is, but this guy may have been over it.
68Camaro

Postby Number21 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 pm

68Camaro wrote:I was doing this regularly until I got side-tracked by the silver run-up. Cool thing about it is you can charge it to your credit card, get the points or miles on the card, there is no extra fee (contrary to some other advice given), and they deliver right to your box

Fantastic idea! Now I'll have weekly dollar coin dumps to go with my pennies.... :lol:

With the PayPal debit card you can get 1.5% cash back.
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat May 14, 2011 12:13 am

68Camaro wrote:
aaa30040 wrote:He should have bought directly from the US mint. You can buy at face, shipping is free and you can pay with a credit card and get the rewards points.

I'm too lazy to go find the earlier related posts, but there is a thread or two on this from some months ago. I was doing this regularly until I got side-tracked by the silver run-up. Cool thing about it is you can charge it to your credit card, get the points or miles on the card, there is no extra fee (contrary to some other advice given), and they deliver right to your box (though only if you get the smallest $250 amount - if you order larger sizes they hold them at the PO, so you have to make a trip). There is a maximum order per month, however. Don't remember what it is, but this guy may have been over it.

The mint was also finding out that people were buying up the coins, charging to the CC, then dumping it into the bank before the CC bill was due and paying it off, accruing Airline Miles in the process. Either the Mint a/or the CC companies halted this process.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 am

cesariojpn wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

The mint was also finding out that people were buying up the coins, charging to the CC, then dumping it into the bank before the CC bill was due and paying it off, accruing Airline Miles in the process. Either the Mint a/or the CC companies halted this process.

It can't be true that the Mint or the CC companies halted the process because neither of them know what the purchaser does with the $ coins after procuring them. The Mint, for example, can't see inside my bank account. And since my checking account is with one bank and my CC with another, the CC company would also be clueless. Besides, all a person would need to do is deposit one dollar less or more than the $250 order amount and any snoopers would be thrown off the trail. Anyway, I have been an occasional purchaser of the coins which I use to buy gas and groceries. However, nothing would stop me from depositing the coins in my bank account if I wanted to.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Number21 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:45 am

cesariojpn wrote: The mint was also finding out that people were buying up the coins, charging to the CC, then dumping it into the bank before the CC bill was due and paying it off, accruing Airline Miles in the process. Either the Mint a/or the CC companies halted this process.

It says right on the mint's website they accept any card with a Visa/Mastercard logo as well as others. There is nothing they can do to stop this besides stop selling them. Max 4 boxes of $250 for every 10 days.

To think about it another way, using my PayPal card I can buy money from the mint at 98.5 cents on the dollar. Too bad I can't get pennies like that. :lol:
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing