hand sorting copper 4 wheats...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

hand sorting copper 4 wheats...

Postby gettin copper » Mon May 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Everybody sort these by hand? I like finding wheats, but it takes forever, and the only real dirty part of the job for me. Im hoping there's an easier way, cause I'm kinda tempted to collect "un-sorted" copper cents. Maybe I'll make more down the road marketing them well as unsorted, as opposed to pulling out all the wheats now. It's definately the longest and dirtiest process of collecting for me
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Re: hand sorting copper 4 wheats...

Postby Chief » Mon May 16, 2011 5:48 pm

I second your feelings. I double Ryedale sort for coppers and then hand sort for wheats. Takes some time and your hands get dirty. At least you don't have to look at the dates! :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Mon May 16, 2011 9:03 pm

when i sort i sort out the wheats.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Number21 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:05 am

Every last cent that comes through my hands gets thoroughly checked for date, condition, special backs, etc...one at a time.

My hands are probably covered in cocaine, marijuana, and some stranger's urine, but I got a jar full of wheats! :lol:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby GTOJohn » Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 am

dirty hands here also - after double ryedale sorting - i hand check for wheats. i also give a quick look at the rejects - looking for old wheats and IHs.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue May 17, 2011 6:26 am

I have a small box with 6 compartments.. I hand sort for wheats, Canadians, bu copper, ugly abes, dimes and oddball stuff. I roll the wheats when I get a lot, and I box up my little friends from north of the border..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 am

i came up with an idea but i haven't tested it yet.

idea is to select for zinc, and get a pure zinc pile to return to the bank.

then resort the non-zinc pile selecting on pre-82. my theory is that indians or older coppers end up in the zinc pile rather than the copper pile and a double sort is the way to find them. of course this takes twice as long and you are still going to have to look for the later dated wheats by hand.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 17, 2011 9:54 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:i came up with an idea but i haven't tested it yet.

then resort the non-zinc pile selecting on pre-82. my theory is that indians or older coppers end up in the zinc pile rather than the copper pile and a double sort is the way to find them. of course this takes twice as long and you are still going to have to look for the later dated wheats by hand.

I use a zinc select. Indians, dimes, Cu canadians, and 95% wheats go into CU pile.

I just dump out the Cu bucket on my coin desk and sort by eye. It takes the most time but its why I sort....not for copper but for wheats and other cool finds.

The pre 82's are just bonus.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby gettin copper » Tue May 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i came up with an idea but i haven't tested it yet.

Thats my process atm. I run a zinc in the comparator, and disregard that whole bucket. I then put a copper in the comparator, re-run the coppers and hope it shoots some idians or old wheats in the second bucket. Then I have been hand sorting the entire bucket of coppers pulling out the wheats.

The hand sorting part is the process is definately the most dirty and time consuming. Might be just collecting "un-sorted" pre 82 coppers from here out though
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue May 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Here's a thought for you hand sorters....latex gloves! You don't seem to get that dirty...unless you scratch/wipe your face/nose.

Just a thought from a former hand sorter! :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm

gettin copper wrote:That's my process atm. I run a zinc in the comparator, and disregard that whole bucket. I then put a copper in the comparator, re-run the coppers and hope it shoots some indians or old wheats in the second bucket. Then I have been hand sorting the entire bucket of coppers pulling out the wheats.

The hand sorting part is the process is definitely the most dirty and time consuming. Might be just collecting "un-sorted" pre 82 coppers from here out though

This is what I do, but I rerun the zincs against a copper and usually find 5 or so coppers per $150 total FV, but never any zincs when I rerun coppers vs copper comparer. Weird that I find few coppers in the zincs, but no zincs in the zinc rejects, but I really want every copper (in my city :lol: ).
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 pm

I remember reading a post on here a while back, before I joined, on a similar subject. I don't remember the exact subject and I certainly don't want to imply these ideas are my own. If I remember correctly, someone had the idea of using a large sheet of glass and spreading the pennies out. If the wheat back is "up" you see it and then you flip over or look under to find the rest. The other idea was to use a mirror with some sort of spacer so you could see the reverse and obverse at the same time. Both great ideas that need some "tweaking" or experimentation to see what works.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gettin copper » Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 am

merchoarder wrote:I remember reading a post on here a while back, before I joined, on a similar subject. I don't remember the exact subject and I certainly don't want to imply these ideas are my own. If I remember correctly, someone had the idea of using a large sheet of glass and spreading the pennies out. If the wheat back is "up" you see it and then you flip over or look under to find the rest. The other idea was to use a mirror with some sort of spacer so you could see the reverse and obverse at the same time. Both great ideas that need some "tweaking" or experimentation to see what works.

lol, I thought of the glass gig because our kitchen table has an entire glass top. I could spread them out and look at the face up one's, then crawl under the table. Thats my plan now, even though it's actually my girlfreinds table, and she's already not a huge fan of running the ryedale in the kitchen, and the random half filled 5 gallon buckets she has to walk around.
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby timmus0382 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:26 am

merchoarder wrote:I remember reading a post on here a while back, before I joined, on a similar subject. I don't remember the exact subject and I certainly don't want to imply these ideas are my own. If I remember correctly, someone had the idea of using a large sheet of glass and spreading the pennies out. If the wheat back is "up" you see it and then you flip over or look under to find the rest. The other idea was to use a mirror with some sort of spacer so you could see the reverse and obverse at the same time. Both great ideas that need some "tweaking" or experimentation to see what works.

Do a search for tinhorn wheat separator, its a good design from what I can tell.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dave » Wed May 18, 2011 6:57 am

Are BU cu worth anymore? I have @ 5 rolls of BU cu.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Number21 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Here's a thought for you hand sorters....latex gloves! You don't seem to get that dirty...

But rubber takes away all the sensation! :lol:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Centsation » Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Number21 wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Here's a thought for you hand sorters....latex gloves! You don't seem to get that dirty...

Yes, takes away all that centsation...hahaha 8-)
Centsation

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Number21 wrote:

That's what A. Schwarzenegger said.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu May 19, 2011 12:05 am

I run the usual CU accept on the ryedale. Then I run rejects back through with a zinc accept. This sometimes routes out the older wheats but I've noticed some older wheats and IHs will still end up in the zinc accept bin.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun May 22, 2011 8:13 am

gettin copper wrote:...our kitchen table has an entire glass top. I could spread them out and look at the face up one's, then crawl under the table. Thats my plan now, even though it's actually my girlfreinds table...

If she doesn't think you're strange now, THAT should do the trick. Easier to build a Tinhorn Wheat Separator: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4770

Be especially careful about using a tabletop. I've noticed some deep scratches on my glass, presumable from some really abrasive crud stuck to the coins. Do that to her table and she may reconsider your value as breeding stock.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun May 22, 2011 10:26 am

I don't sort out any wheats from my bags. Now on occasion I set back a bag that is full to sort them out later, but for the most part my copper is really unsorted. Wheats, some dimes, some foreign, or whatever else falls in.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing