It's the little things.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

It's the little things.

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 23, 2011 5:29 pm

So I went to see how many pennies I could get from the bank during my lunch hour at work. Waiting for my ryedale to come. I ordered 32 boxes (12 from one bank and 20 from another). I managed to pick up 8 boxes right then. 6 of them were brand new 2011s. It's alright I guess but not what I like.

However right after I left I went to get something to eat and in my two cents of change I got a wheat penny. :) made my work day a little nicer.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: It's the little things.

Postby pennypicker » Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 pm

As Jerry Seinfeld once said, "you have your highs and lows and they all even out over time." :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:38 pm

avidbrandy wrote:So I went to see how many pennies I could get from the bank during my lunch hour at work. Waiting for my ryedale to come. I ordered 32 boxes (12 from one bank and 20 from another). I managed to pick up 8 boxes right then. 6 of them were brand new 2011s. It's alright I guess but not what I like.

However right after I left I went to get something to eat and in my two cents of change I got a wheat penny. :) made my work day a little nicer.

That's a lot of roll cracking, hehe. I hope they are plastic wrapped. Reminds me of when I first started and hadn't discovered the greatness of the loose bags. Oh well, pennies are pennies.

Deal

p.s. Try and sell the '11's before it's too late. Maybe make a little extra on them for now....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:01 pm

how do you get loose bags? my hands get sore after 100 or so paper rolls.

Roadrunner told me on Saturday about new pennies. seems to be working pretty well.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby newtopos » Mon May 23, 2011 8:17 pm

avidbrandy wrote:So I went to see how many pennies I could get from the bank during my lunch hour at work. Waiting for my ryedale to come. I ordered 32 boxes (12 from one bank and 20 from another). I managed to pick up 8 boxes right then. 6 of them were brand new 2011s. It's alright I guess but not what I like.

Which banks do you use? Are they the central locations in town? A lot of banks I try look at me crazy when I ask for pennies. I haven't gotten up the courage to ask for more than 2 boxes at a time.
newtopos

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm

I work with a local bank near where I live. It has about 10 branches all in my city.

As far as asking, it's been awkward. But I make it fun by confusing the tellers. At one of the branches I went to today, when asked what I could possibly need $500 in pennies for, I explained to the teller that I was making a giant castle out of coins for fun, and that pennies were the cheapest way to do this. I now apparently owe the bank branch a photo when I"m done, as they all want to see it. :D
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goldteam » Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm

I always tell them I have a wheelchair bound brother who sorts them for something to do.

I feel a little guilty as they can't wait to get them for me when I tell them this.
goldteam

Postby Morsecode » Mon May 23, 2011 9:55 pm

goldteam wrote:I always tell them I have a wheelchair bound brother who sorts them for something to do.

I feel a little guilty as they can't wait to get them for me when I tell them this.

Damn...wish I'd thought of that. Now they all know me too well.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue May 24, 2011 10:27 am

avidbrandy wrote:how do you get loose bags? my hands get sore after 100 or so paper rolls.

Roadrunner told me on Saturday about new pennies. seems to be working pretty well.

It takes a little work.

First ask if they accept loose coins. If they do, they have a machine. Then ask if it sorts be denomination. If so, you're one step closer. Then offer to buy them from them. Some will say they can't, but that's BS because they can. Tell them that you are actually doing them a favor because it saves them money as they have to pay the armored car service to pick them up. Try to talk to someone as high up on the food chain as possible. Offer to open an account at their bank. Most will sell without a problem.

I know some here can't get loose bags, that's too bad, hehe.

For those of you that are scared or whatever of asking, don't be. Worse thing they can do is to say no. If that's the case, move on to the next one. Some branches simply don't have the vault space to store too many boxes. Ask how many they can order for you. But remember, ALWAYS pickup the amount you order on the day you say you will pick them up. I buy all they have, bags, boxes, and CWR's. See, I do them a favor, hehe. Just don't leave the bank stuck with a dozen boxes of coin that they do not want/need. Very fast way to get cut off.

Deal

p.s. This is not a hobby for the bashful....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby HD-Daddy » Thu May 26, 2011 8:31 am

p.s. This is not a hobby for the bashful....

Man I learned that real quick!
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing