MY RYEDALE ARRIVED

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

MY RYEDALE ARRIVED

Postby avidbrandy » Wed May 25, 2011 5:29 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D This thing's ridiculous :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :o aww no I'm out of pennies.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: MY RYEDALE ARRIVED

Postby Chief » Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 pm

The problem is keeping it fed. I love my Ryedale. How much are you sorting a week?
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Wed May 25, 2011 5:40 pm

They sure do eat alot. Might want to start looking for a bank where you can get bags of loose.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby avidbrandy » Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm picking up 32 boxes tomorrow. Going to try to maintain $1000 in pennies a week for now.

Does anyone have any advice on dumping the zincs? It's a LOT of pennies. I'm going to take them to the bank obviously but as far as transportation, the only thing I could think of was a roller suitcase. anybody got any better ideas?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Wed May 25, 2011 5:54 pm

With that many pennies, I'd recommend going to a few different bank branches. You don't want to overload one bank branch. That could spoil it for all the sorters using that bank branch.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby tinhorn » Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Yup, spread the love. You could spoil it for YOURSELF, as I learned when one grump in a suit banned me from his branch after I dumped a couple hundred in zincs. Hell, $300 in pennies fills the machine, and it doesn't appear that anyone checks for full bags until all six are full. I've learned that CoinStar offers a zero-fee card for both Lowes and the grocery store we use, so I'll be including more CoinStars in my dump route.

Good luck dumping $750 or more a week! Let's see, that's a little over $100 a day. I recommend some low-key buckets from Dollar Tree, or some giant plastic piggy banks.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Wed May 25, 2011 6:48 pm

I use a handtruck and a large cat little bucket with a lid. 5 gallon buckets work too. If you can't lift them, just use smaller buckets. Fill the 5 gallon bucket half way and put the smaller 2 1/2 bucket inside it. This way you are only making one trip.

I dump $275-$285 per branch due to the $300 limit per day/per branch limit. I use 3 branches and visit them as often as I need to per week.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed May 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah, spread it out. I guess I'm lucky as I have an agreement not to dump more than $1000 at a time give or take a few bucks. I also "grease" the wheels with drinks to my girls.

Welcome to the next level of sorting.

Deal

p.s. Do not dump at you pickup branch. That doesn't usually go over very well....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby newtopos » Wed May 25, 2011 7:15 pm

avidbrandy wrote:I'm picking up 32 boxes tomorrow. Going to try to maintain $1000 in pennies a week for now.

Does anyone have any advice on dumping the zincs? It's a LOT of pennies. I'm going to take them to the bank obviously but as far as transportation, the only thing I could think of was a roller suitcase. anybody got any better ideas?

Is one bank agreeing to order 32 boxes for you? That seems really high, especially as anything more than a one-time event. Maybe I'm too bashful, but I would think that is something a lot of banks would balk at.
newtopos

Postby avidbrandy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm getting 20 from one branch and 12 from another. Both of them just asked how much I wanted, said there wasn't really a limit, and simply told me it had to be ordered in $100 increments. I figure once they know me better I might be able to consolidate it to a single bank.

I'll look into spreading the amount around to different branches. That might work out. And yes, never dumb your coins where you pick up. That just doesn't go well for anyone.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gojomoso » Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 pm

tinhorn wrote:Yup, spread the love. You could spoil it for YOURSELF, as I learned when one grump in a suit banned me from his branch after I dumped a couple hundred in zincs. Hell, $300 in pennies fills the machine, and it doesn't appear that anyone checks for full bags until all six are full. I've learned that CoinStar offers a zero-fee card for both Lowes and the grocery store we use, so I'll be including more CoinStars in my dump route.

WHAT? is that for Lowes around the country? where'd you get the card... i think my bankers would like me more if i didn't dump, just picked up :)

oh i looked on their website... is it just a lowes gift card?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed May 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Yes , a Lowes gift card. Pair that with the fact that CoinStar's are super slow, and I still don't see the use for them unless you have no other option. Unless you are building a house or something and can use all those damn cards, hehe. Kinda makes it hard to use your zinc return money to buy more unsearched coin.

Deal

p.s. Maybe you can make purchases with the card, and return the goods for cash. Not sure how that works....
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby tinhorn » Wed May 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Go to the CoinStar site. You can choose from several merchants. I usually spend a lot of money at Lowes in the spring and summer, and lotsa dough at the grocery store. I'm surrounded by CoinStars, and every bucket of zincs dumped at a CoinStar is a bucket I'm not dumping at a bank.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 am

Yes, spread the dumps around. I once got banned from a branch for dumping a mere $3k in zinc there in a week.

Get a flat dolly with fold down handle. If you are going to be picking up 20 boxes or so per branch this makes it really convenient. You use the same dolly to haul in your kitty litter buckets of zinc if you are feeding a lobby machine, your precounted bags if you are dumping that way, or your rolled boxes if just happen to have a few automatic rolling machines.

If you are shopping at Lowes you are better off getting their card than using the gift certificate. They give you a 5% discount anytime you use their card for purchases. You can also get 10% discount cards for Lowes in the change of address kit at the post office. Never pay full price. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu May 26, 2011 1:23 am

I ran into the bank yesterday with one of my buckets. I just loved the look on a couple of the tellers faces....priceless! Only had $50 something in there.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 am

NotABigDeal wrote:p.s. Maybe you can make purchases with the card, and return the goods for cash. Not sure how that works....

If someone could get an answer to that, I think it would help a good bit of us out. Imagine the sheer joy of knowing no bank manager is looming nearby ready to cut you off.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Thu May 26, 2011 4:32 am

avidbrandy wrote:I'm picking up 32 boxes tomorrow. Going to try to maintain $1000 in pennies a week for now.

I do 500-1000 a week, and finding a dump bank is a nightmare. My dump bank just yesterday said effective next week there will be a 10% penalty for dumping pennies. Needless to say my account at the dump bank will be drained, and will only act (maybe) as a forex hub for me.

Anyways,
sorry for the rant and hopefully you have better luck with your dump banks!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby HD-Daddy » Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 am

New here. Been Lurking...( Wonderful info btw) registered yesterday. I use Coinstar also to give my banks a break, but not all Coinstars offer the e-certificates. I also found that certain machines offer different gift cards. I wanted to get some Movie tickets but nearest Coinstar with that specific gift card was 50 miles away.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby gojomoso » Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I ran into the bank yesterday with one of my buckets. I just loved the look on a couple of the tellers faces....priceless! Only had $50 something in there.

my tellers used to be amused at my penny sorting (For all they knew was that i was wheat sorting) :)
it wore off :cry:
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing