A copper cent collector in my neighborhood died.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

A copper cent collector in my neighborhood died.

Postby Thogey » Fri May 27, 2011 1:18 pm

I know this because his widow (recently). Dumped off part of his penny hoard at my pickup bank :mrgreen:

She told the tellers "he just had this thing about pennys. I don't know what was wrong with HIM"

Anyway I'm starting my weekend early, drinking beer and opening 136 (solid copper/155-157 gram) rolls. :D
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: A copper cent collector in my neighborhood died.

Postby Corsair » Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Did he have any other coin collections? Silver? Gold?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri May 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Bank tellers said no. But they did snag a solid wheat roll for themselves.

All these cents are 1977 and earlier LMCs, so far.

Tellers said they would call when old elderly widow brings in the rest of her, probably happily, dead husband's coins.

What the hell is wrong with these women? No wonder the man wants to die first.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby gojomoso » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 pm

did he have a ryedale? maybe she'll sell it to me :D
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dp2007 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:30 pm

For this very reason I have a sign posted on my boxed stack of copper (70 boxes). It basically explains what the deal is with the copper and if the wife inherits these she is to go to realcent.org to find a buyer.
dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 pm

dp2007 wrote:For this very reason I have a sign posted on my boxed stack of copper (70 boxes). It basically explains what the deal is with the copper and if the wife inherits these she is to go to realcent.org to find a buyer.

Yeah like OK....when was the last time she listened to you? And this would be with you breathing! You need to officially take care of it in your will....and I'd say let Hoard take care of your copper babies! :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 pm

I like that plan! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat May 28, 2011 12:31 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I like that plan! :mrgreen:

Don't forget the finder's fee! :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Thogey » Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 pm

When scoring the all-knowing, elderly. old widow's dead (happily) husband's hoard..

Is it possible there is a ghost attached?
Thogey

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun May 29, 2011 1:54 am

You bet there might be. If you believe in that stuff. I guess as long as you are saving it...you should be ok...just don't try to sell. :lol:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Number21 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:36 am

A good reminder to inform your significant other that your penny collecting hobby is NOT just a hobby, but it's worth a lot of freakin' money! If I get hit by a bus tomarrow I sure don't want my relatives taking my penny hoard to the bank and geting less than 1/2 their value.... :roll:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 am

As a carry over from a previous post... you know you are a serious penny collector when...your loved ones have instructions on melting your pennies for your coffin and vault. :D
Copper Catcher

Postby inflationhawk » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 am

May he rest in peace. He was obviously a wise old man.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:07 pm

They had another $20.00 of the elderly old widow's, (happily) dead husband's, hoard waiting for me at my pickup.
My name was written on the box with a sharpie.

Solid copper with 2 rolls of wheats and 9-1943s.

That's nice.
Thogey

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 am

Thogey wrote:They had another $20.00 of the elderly old widow's, (happily) dead husband's, hoard waiting for me at my pickup.
My name was written on the box with a sharpie.

Solid copper with 2 rolls of wheats and 9-1943s.

That's nice.

Enjoy searching these!!! Similar to something I encountered quite a bit ago. I could virtually see time progress through the rolls of pennies. From solid copper to a good average copper percentage per roll. Nice and neat and clean coins in the beginning when they were all copper. Nastier coins mixed with bits of paper, etc as the man had aged. Turns out he wasn't a coin collector, per say, he was a collector of pennies in that he could not let one through his hands and kept them all and rolled them up and stored the rolls in paper boxes like check boxes. No other denominations from this little old lady turned in either. But the pennies were cool to sort through and construct a little story in my head about this guy.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:14 pm

This is interesting as my wife and I were discussing it today. From time to time you can see silver go for well below spot at estate sales. I can't help thinking that the soul of the deceaced crys out from the grave to his family, "You fools! Sell the tractors, sell the F250, sell (some of) my guns, but don't sell my silver! That was saved for YOUR security."
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing