Interesting conversation w/ a banker today

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Interesting conversation w/ a banker today

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Went to open a new Chase checking acc't (Had a coupon for a free $125 with direct deposit). During the opening I asked if they could order me $100-$300 in pennies a week. The banker said that they used to order coin for customers but "lots of people" were ordering "thousands of dollars in half dollars" so they stopped. She said it would be no problem if I wanted to deposit a couple hundred in pennies though. Found a dump bank. To bad the silver hounds killed my penny action.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Interesting conversation w/ a banker today

Postby Crescendo » Fri May 27, 2011 5:22 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:Went to open a new Chase checking acc't (Had a coupon for a free $125 with direct deposit). During the opening I asked if they could order me $100-$300 in pennies a week. The banker said that they used to order coin for customers but "lots of people" were ordering "thousands of dollars in half dollars" so they stopped. She said it would be no problem if I wanted to deposit a couple hundred in pennies though. Found a dump bank. To bad the silver hounds killed my penny action.

Ask them for one box of pennies for when you come by to make deposits. That's a good starting point. You can even brush it off, well thousands of dollars sounds great, but how about we just do 25 instead, much easier number to work with! Like make it sound like you don't want thousands.... you can work your way up there :)
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slickeast » Fri May 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Dump, dump, dump

It is way harder to get rid of pennies than to buy them.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John_doe » Fri May 27, 2011 6:39 pm

slickeast wrote:Dump, dump, dump

It is way harder to get rid of pennies than to buy them.

agree.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri May 27, 2011 7:36 pm

I just buy them out of the coin machine. I can normally get 6-8 bags a week and my bank doesn't mind letting me have them. Of course they cut me off from getting 50 cent halves... and I was doing good on those .. avg about 4 per bag. Sometimes I would go through a bag or two with nothing them bang! I would get a dozen.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Yeah, didn't ask about bags. Figure that conversation is better suited for the head/vault teller instead of a personal banker.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri May 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Make sure you try different branches of Chase. In my neck of the woods, I'm currently working on getting bags from the smaller branches....the big branches wave their big finger...and tell me...."No...NO....and NO!" when the subject of buying bags come up. They claim corporate policy, but the smaller branches must not be part of the coporate system. ASK,ASK, and ASK again. I'm used to no's!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby newtopos » Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Make sure you try different branches of Chase. In my neck of the woods, I'm currently working on getting bags from the smaller branches....the big branches wave their big finger...and tell me...."No...NO....and NO!" when the subject of buying bags come up. They claim corporate policy, but the smaller branches must not be part of the coporate system. ASK,ASK, and ASK again. I'm used to no's!

Do only branches that have self-serve coin counters in the lobby have bags that they are willing to sell, or does every branch have bags that they send to Brinks or Loomis? I.e., if a branch without a self-serve coin counter gets in any CWRs, etc., do they break them open, count them, and then put them in coinlok bags in batches of $50 to send to Brinks (and if they do that, are they ever willing to sell those to save whatever fees they pay Brinks to pick them up)? Thanks.
newtopos

Postby GTOJohn » Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 am

at one of my regular supply bank branches - they do not have a counter in the lobby - but they take some customer coin. i am able to get a bag ($500) of quarters or dimes each week or two.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 am

call back your rep and discuss specifics.

best case is to get them to accept bagged cents. tell them if they give you the fed bags, you'll count and deposit them just how the fed wants it to save the bank time. find out what days its most convenient to deposit, and whose line you should go through. find out if there are any limits - no more than 10 bags, etc. do this now when you set up your account and then you can tell the tellers that you have an understanding with Mr. so and so that you can do this much. also, since its out on the table, you might offer to take all of their customer wrapped pennies and halves from them weekly. for many branches, that is doing them a big favor.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing