storing loose copper vs rolled copper?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

storing loose copper vs rolled copper?

Postby Nokozan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 pm

im not so much worried about what to put it in i can put it in anything, i more concern about if i should roll it up for storage or keep it loose for storage.

storing loose copper vs rolling the copper in wrappers, just throw it all in a bucket and forget it, or roll it up and organize it. how do you do it. i have infinite amount of free wrappers but not sure if i want to keep it in rolls or keep it loose. how many people roll it and how many keep it loose?
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Re: storing loose copper vs rolled copper?

Postby Wheathead Saver » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:38 pm

I plan on storing mine loose (in 5 gallon buckets) until all the copper has been removed from circulation and sorting becomes a thing of the past. I anticipate this to be within the next 5 years. Since I will not be able to sort any after all the copper is gone, I will occupy my time by rolling them up into $25.00 bricks. Won't sell until at least 3x face with the hopes of someday even 4x face.

So to answer your question, loose as a goose until the copper has vamoosed.....then put 'em in rolls and bricks and stacks!
Wheathead Saver

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Wheathead Saver wrote:So to answer your question, loose as a goose until the copper has vamoosed.....then put 'em in rolls and bricks and stacks!

Would you roll them in your socks? Would you roll them with a fox? Would you stack them in a box? Would you stack them in a stack?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Let's do tricks with bricks and blocks, sir. Let's do tricks with chicks and clocks, sir.
First, I'll make a quick trick brick stack. Then I'll make a quick trick block stack.
You can make a quick trick chick stack.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tinhorn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Been pondering this topic myself. (Storing coppers, not the Dr. Suess rhymes.) My concern is protecting them from moisture-induced corrosion--that green gunk. I've been seeing more and more of it on the rolls I open. Not sure how fast it would spread, not only on my own stash, but in bags I sell. Found some 3-gram packets of silica gel on the bay. I estimate that 3 grams will protect 25 pounds stuffed into a Tyvek bag for just 15 cents apiece. This presumes, of course, that I figure out how to kill the existing verdigris or whatever that crud is.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Merwanseth » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Tinhorn said: ...My concern is protecting them from moisture-induced corrosion--that green gunk. I've been seeing more and more of it on the rolls I open. Not sure how fast it would spread, not only on my own stash, but in bags I sell..."

I don't plan on selling any copper pennies soon. But even for those who do, I'd recommend separating the "clean" pennies from the ones that have the "green gunk" or some other crud on them. I personally store my pennies rolled and put back in $25.00 boxes. The copper pennies with gunk or crud I place in rolls too. When I have a full box, I save it with the label: "copper culls". Since I sort by hand, it's easy to do this. For those Ryedale-types, do you separate your pennies?
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Corsair » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Nokozan wrote:im not so much worried about what to put it in i can put it in anything, i more concern about if i should roll it up for storage or keep it loose for storage.

storing loose copper vs rolling the copper in wrappers, just throw it all in a bucket and forget it, or roll it up and organize it. how do you do it. i have infinite amount of free wrappers but not sure if i want to keep it in rolls or keep it loose. how many people roll it and how many keep it loose?

I have a scale and weigh the coppers in their original Brinks boxes and box them loose. Saves me a lot of time.
Last edited by Corsair on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm

re Verdigris removal: I have a vibrating foot bath I've contemplated using for cleaning brass for reloading. Something like that should work well for cleaning, after you remove the numismatics.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby psi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Rolled takes up a fair bit less space if you care about that. Personally I don't feel like it's worth my time with pennies, nickels I roll to keep track of how much face value I have.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm

I roll them and re-box the COPPER rolls back into $25 penny boxes. I tape the boxes to keep them rolls secure and put the boxes into my storage area. However, I carefully remove the Ugly Abes from the Clean COPPER rolls. I box the Ugly Abes too, but keep these away from the good guys. If you do high powered Ryedale sorting, I can see that you won't really have the time to do this. But if you handsort your COPPERs, it's kind of pleasurable to see your COPPER rolls safely placed into boxes. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

i'm not picky about the color.

its not worth my time to re-roll.

they store easier in $25 bricks, so i use my coin counter and re-fill the boxes with exactly $25 and then seal them in tape.

theft wise loose in a bucket is better but its difficult to move or sell.

re: moisture, maybe try cat litter.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Centsation » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 pm

I store my hoard loose in the $25 boxes they come in. I've found that I can cram about $22 of loose pennies into a $25 box. The $3/box difference between loose/rolled is worth it to me because it's much easier to just throw them in than to roll them up. Also, since the boxes aren't too heavy, it's easy to move my hoard if needed - plus the boxes make it easy to stack.
Centsation

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing