If anyone is sorting in Vegas...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

If anyone is sorting in Vegas...

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:39 am

Get ready for some increased wheat numbers in your searches.

My house was broken into recently, and they stole a little over 10,000 wheats. I imagine they'll end up at a Coinstar... but then again they were all rolled, so maybe someone will hit the lottery when they pick up some CWRs.

It seriously helped lessen the sting when I thought that there's a chance my loss will potentially make someone else's (preferably a Realcenter's) day.

:D
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: If anyone is sorting in Vegas...

Postby Crescendo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 am

Doctor Steuss wrote:Get ready for some increased wheat numbers in your searches.

My house was broken into recently, and they stole a little over 10,000 wheats. I imagine they'll end up at a Coinstar... but then again they were all rolled, so maybe someone will hit the lottery when they pick up some CWRs.

It seriously helped lessen the sting when I thought that there's a chance my loss will potentially make someone else's (preferably a Realcenter's) day.

:D

Did you place any identifying marks on the wrappers by chance? Really sorry to hear about that happening :(
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 am

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope they were all common dates.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 am

Crescendo wrote:Did you place any identifying marks on the wrappers by chance?

Not on the wrappers. They were in $25 boxes, and I had just written "wheats" on the boxes.
Crescendo wrote: Really sorry to hear about that happening :(

Thank you. It could have been much worse -- I definitely consider myself fortunate. They only stole a few items with nostalgic value. Everything else that they took is replaceable.

NDFarmer wrote:Sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
NDFarmer wrote:I hope they were all common dates.

They were all 40's and 50's. Other than a few common date Morgans, and some war nickels, they didn't find very much of my more cherished treasures.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 am

Do you think it was an inside job? Or that someone who knows of your collection talked?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Do you think it was an inside job? Or that someone who knows of your collection talked?

It's certainly a possibility, but based on what they took and what they left behind, I doubt it. There were a few Dansco albums sitting out in the open (a nearly complete Jefferson Nickel Album, a half complete Franklin Half Album, and a Type Set Album I just started) that they left behind. I also had a small pile of silver coins on my computer desk that I was about to list on eBay, and they only took the Kennedy halves (leaving the Washington quarters, Mercury dimes, and Roosevelt dimes). Of course, there's the definite possibility that it was someone who had found out that I collect coins, but they didn't really know what to look for and/or take.

This has certainly renewed my diligence though to be very careful who I tell about my hobby (which kind of sucks, because having close friends know that I collect coins has resulted in some pretty fortunate buying opportunities over the years).
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Neckro » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:49 pm

I'd suspect they might come back, careless teens, or crackheads.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Do you think it was an inside job? Or that someone who knows of your collection talked?

It's certainly a possibility, but based on what they took and what they left behind, I doubt it. There were a few Dansco albums sitting out in the open (a nearly complete Jefferson Nickel Album, a half complete Franklin Half Album, and a Type Set Album I just started) that they left behind. I also had a small pile of silver coins on my computer desk that I was about to list on eBay, and they only took the Kennedy halves (leaving the Washington quarters, Mercury dimes, and Roosevelt dimes). Of course, there's the definite possibility that it was someone who had found out that I collect coins, but they didn't really know what to look for and/or take.

This has certainly renewed my diligence though to be very careful who I tell about my hobby (which kind of sucks, because having close friends know that I collect coins has resulted in some pretty fortunate buying opportunities over the years).

If they were all sitting in a pile than why wouldn't they just take the pile instead of picking through it?? Seems very strange.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 pm

highroller4321 wrote: If they were all sitting in a pile than why wouldn't they just take the pile instead of picking through it?? Seems very strange.

Well, it would certainly be faster to just sweep the coins into a pocket.

Albums are bulkier, so that may be why they were left behind. Passed time to put in a nannycam?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 pm

highroller4321 wrote:If they were all sitting in a pile than why wouldn't they just take the pile instead of picking through it?? Seems very strange.

There were quite a few things that were a little "off." The above is one.

My brother and his wife are in an apartment while they wait for their new home to be built, and so they have some stuff stored at my house. In my bedroom on my dresser was a jewelry box that had my brother’s cufflink collection in it, and a diamond ring. They took the diamond ring, left the cufflinks (some of them are very valuable), but took a pile of 2009 nickels off my dresser (about $1.25).

They took my laptop, but left my computer. They took my xBox, but left my BlueRay player. They lugged off 4 boxes of wheat cents, but didn't feel like taking some silver quarters and dimes. And of course, the kicker is that they stole my pillow case (I assume they didn’t come prepared with a bag to carry the smaller items in).

The randomness of what was taken, and what was left, mixed with how they were able to cherry pick the most valuable item out of a bunch in one scenario, but leave a pile of valuable things untouched while taking something trivial is enough to drive a feller mad.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:They took my laptop, but left my computer.

I am sure you already thought of this but if you had any passwords for different accounts saved on your laptop you need to be changing those.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Arm yourself in case they come back.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I just want to thank you all for the outpouring of support and advice. It’s a wonderful thing to be reminded that the turds of the world are in the minority (but dang if their stink doesn’t make it hard to realize sometimes :lol: ).

Chief wrote:Arm yourself in case they come back.

Luckily, I still have my shotgun (it was in a closet that they didn’t seem to go through) -- the very first thing the officers asked me to do was make sure that any firearms in the house hadn’t been stolen.

I had a security door added the day after (which has allowed me to enjoy the last few days of nice weather). I’m going to be buying an alarm tomorrow (house is already prewired, so hopefully I’ll be able to figure out the installation on my own). Been thinking about picking up a camera system, but not sure if it’s worth it. Also have been letting the dog stay in the house during the day since the incident (she’s old, and on her way out the door, but her bark and appearance should make anyone think twice [she’s a Chow/Rottweiler mix]).

Truth be told, if they do come back, I really hope it’s when I’m not home. I don’t know that I have it in me to hurt another human being just to protect some physical belongings (I’m one of the deplorable softies).
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:I just want to thank you all for the outpouring of support and advice. It’s a wonderful thing to be reminded that the turds of the world are in the minority (but dang if their stink doesn’t make it hard to realize sometimes :lol: ).

Chief wrote:Arm yourself in case they come back.

Luckily, I still have my shotgun (it was in a closet that they didn’t seem to go through) -- the very first thing the officers asked me to do was make sure that any firearms in the house hadn’t been stolen.

I had a security door added the day after (which has allowed me to enjoy the last few days of nice weather). I’m going to be buying an alarm tomorrow (house is already prewired, so hopefully I’ll be able to figure out the installation on my own). Been thinking about picking up a camera system, but not sure if it’s worth it. Also have been letting the dog stay in the house during the day since the incident (she’s old, and on her way out the door, but her bark and appearance should make anyone think twice [she’s a Chow/Rottweiler mix]).

Truth be told, if they do come back, I really hope it’s when I’m not home. I don’t know that I have it in me to hurt another human being just to protect some physical belongings (I’m one of the deplorable softies).

I'm the same way, hoping I'm not home if the house gets robbed.

But if I am home. I will assume the intruder intends my family harm and I will kill that person or persons. I will make sure they are dead. That scenario really would suck. You'd probably be wasting an idiot teenage who might have some potential.

There was a RCer recently who got robbed of pennies? or was it nickels. But it turned out to be neighborhood idiot teenagers.

Who was that? Remember, they stole a huge amount of pennies from a guy here, out his back door at home.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:44 pm

I would let the close by banks know about your boxes marked "wheats". If they don't call the police when they bring them in, at least you could get them back at face value from the banks.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Economist » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:05 am

I second the idea of calling the local banks, pawn shops, coin dealers, etc. Heck, I might even pay personal visits, just to convey the level of seriousness. It's not so much about getting $100 in Wheats back (hopefully you had insurance on all this stuff anyway), but about nabbing these bastards. If they try to dump at a bank, they will be caught on camera.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:00 am

I don’t know that I have it in me to hurt another human being just to protect some physical belongings (I’m one of the deplorable softies).

I do not have this problem. I have several weapons that are capable of rearranging cells in patterns non-conductive to life functions at suprisingly economic costs with very little time investment. :lol:
SGT_Slaughter

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 am

SGT_Slaughter wrote:
I don’t know that I have it in me to hurt another human being just to protect some physical belongings (I’m one of the deplorable softies).

I do not have this problem. I have several weapons that are capable of rearranging cells in patterns non-conductive to life functions at suprisingly economic costs with very little time investment. :lol:

I have two such weapons. They are called "my hands" and they are registered with the police.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:25 am

shinnosuke wrote:I have two such weapons. They are called "my hands" and they are registered with the police.

Chuck Norris, is that you?

"Chuck Norris buried a small jar of pennies in his backyard as a small child; this is now known as the federal reserve..."
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:I have two such weapons. They are called "my hands" and they are registered with the police.

Chuck Norris, is that you?

Yes, it's me, and if you run a small announcement in the "notices" section of your local newspaper that Chuck Norris is flying in to Las Vegas tomorrow, the thieves who broke into your home will return your items and then walk out into the street and promptly die of a heart attack.

Doctor Steuss wrote:"Chuck Norris buried a small jar of pennies in his backyard as a small child; this is now known as the federal reserve..."

That's a good one.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing