Copper cent supply dwindling?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper cent supply dwindling?

Postby Wheathead Saver » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Curious if any of the long-time hoarders are seeing a reduction in the amount of copper cents they retrieve. I have noticed once in a while I will get a box that contains less copper than average....say 15% less. I would imagine in the not too distant future, we will all be seeing less copper. Really hard for me to tell, but I will continue to track my copper percentages and analyze over say a 3 or 6 month period. Later in the year I will be able to compare current time frames to the prior year and this will be interesting. I began keeping my numbers last fall.

This is for another discussion though --
Looking out several years later, I invision where these copper cents will be like silver and trade for closer to their melt value. I realize this is dependent upon alot of factors (copper prices, supply, demand, economics, and the continued growth in the developing countries, melt ban being lifted, etc.).

Happy Hoarding to all!!!!!!!!
Wheathead Saver

Re: Copper cent supply dwindling?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:59 pm

6 months ago, after just joining, I did some math and suggested that the copper supply would noticably shrink over the next 18-24 months and get increasingly more difficult to obtain. I was roundly trashed by people that didn't want to believe it. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Country » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:23 pm

My COPPER percentage has been very constant around 24%. I have seen fluctuations within the boxes I get: some as low as 19%, some as high as 30%. It sort of ebbs and flows, week to week. But, I have not seen a noticeable drop in COPPER in my area during the past 18 months.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I've been so focused on silver for the past 3 months that I stopped sorting, personally. So I can't say for sure. I will start back up again at some point, and then it will be interesting to compare. I will say that I just spent 6 days on the Florida SE coast, and did not pick up a single copper penny in change. Not a one. That would be unheard of for me up here. So I can't say if that is a regional thing, bad luck, I found myself in the provence of a heavy sorter, or something else.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:39 pm

All new boxes around here in Indy including change from retailers. Only getting CWR for now.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:43 pm

last 6 months my percentage has gone up 3%.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:09 pm

68Camaro wrote:6 months ago, after just joining, I did some math and suggested that the copper supply would noticably shrink over the next 18-24 months and get increasingly more difficult to obtain. I was roundly trashed by people that didn't want to believe it. :)

I missed that, can I roundly trash you now instead?
:D
fb101

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 pm

With the influx of new 2011 cents flooding the market it seems logical that our copper percentages can only go one way---down :cry:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:26 pm

fb101 wrote:
68Camaro wrote:6 months ago, after just joining, I did some math and suggested that the copper supply would noticably shrink over the next 18-24 months and get increasingly more difficult to obtain. I was roundly trashed by people that didn't want to believe it. :)

I missed that, can I roundly trash you now instead?
:D

Ha! Sure, pile on... ;)
68Camaro

Postby gojomoso » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:34 pm

it might be dwindling slowly, but theres got to be only a few thousand sorters out there (maybe), some have sorted thousands of dollars worth, but theres billions of pennies.
Currently i havn't had issues with percentage. A steady 32% :D
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm

I ran a thread some months ago saying brass cents would not grow in price until there was a rush to pull them from circulation. Once they became scarce after the rush, the price will skyrocket. I expected five years for that to happen. Now, some of the guys who disagreed with me then say the same thing now.

I ran 33% two/three years ago. Now, more like 15% in sorting.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Over the past 6 months, I have been able to hold on to a 30+% copper rate. Sounds amazing compared to some of the percentages I've seen on this board. Also, haven't seen a lot of 2011's in circulation, but plenty of boxes of them at banks. New boxes are actually the best way to amass more coppers, You buy $25 boxes of uncirculated pennies, sell them on ebay for $37+ after fees, buy from a good copper seller at 1.5x shipped and you have copper pennies at face value w/o having to open rolls. :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Number21 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:43 pm

Doesn't seem to really change for me. I still get lots of them in change and was just noticing a $25 box had more copper than usual. I don't think I've ever seen a bag or box below 20%.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:06 am

The bags I've been getting lately run 30-40%.
fb101

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:38 am

30-40% would be unreal.

I felt quite lucky to get 20.8% last week as the prior week i got ONE percent out of 20 dollars!
SGT_Slaughter

Postby sparechange » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:47 am

The 2011's are definately on the way. Have had several dirty boxes here lately with 0-2 coppers in each roll. Really makes the overall % take a dip. My % has gone from 20-22% to about 18% lately(I live in a midsize[60,000+) community so I am probably seeing same coins over and over). The bright side is that I was able to rescue the couple of coppers in each roll of the dirty boxes of 2011's.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:15 pm

sparechange, I live in San Antonio and average around 12% from the boxes I buy. So consider yourself lucky. Can't find a bank that will sell me bags.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Number21 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm still waiting to find my first 2011.....
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby gojomoso » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Number21 wrote:I'm still waiting to find my first 2011.....

same...
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:51 pm

In Ontario the percentange is consistant at 40-50% sometimes hopping to 60%, But when I buy in the larger cities Kitchener or London, the percentage usually drops to 30%
Copper

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Copper wrote:In Ontario the percentange is consistant at 40-50% sometimes hopping to 60%, But when I buy in the larger cities Kitchener or London, the percentage usually drops to 30%

Dang, those are crazy numbers....
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Number21 wrote:I'm still waiting to find my first 2011.....

I'm coming across so many 2011's in my string rolls that its getting frustrating to say the least. More 2011's are showing up and displacing the coppers. :cry:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:37 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Copper wrote:In Ontario the percentange is consistant at 40-50% sometimes hopping to 60%, But when I buy in the larger cities Kitchener or London, the percentage usually drops to 30%

Dang, those are crazy numbers....

I think it might have to do with that Canada went to non copper in 1997 so they have 15 more years out there than we do of copper also at 98% it is a nicer find. I get 60%+ Canadian copper of the ones that make to Oregon about 25-40 per $50 sorted. See--http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5015&hilit=+canada Also in July a salesman that calls on my work is bring us a $100 on Canadian cents to sort! :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Wheathead Saver wrote:Curious if any of the long-time hoarders are seeing a reduction in the amount of copper cents they retrieve. I have noticed once in a while I will get a box that contains less copper than average....say 15% less. I would imagine in the not too distant future, we will all be seeing less copper. Really hard for me to tell, but I will continue to track my copper percentages and analyze over say a 3 or 6 month period. Later in the year I will be able to compare current time frames to the prior year and this will be interesting. I began keeping my numbers last fall.

This is for another discussion though --
Looking out several years later, I invision where these copper cents will be like silver and trade for closer to their melt value. I realize this is dependent upon alot of factors (copper prices, supply, demand, economics, and the continued growth in the developing countries, melt ban being lifted, etc.).

Happy Hoarding to all!!!!!!!!

I think the price will jump, once the cc becomes more scarce.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Any of you old school penny pickets got an appx calculation of when the supply will be done?

I've seen a significant change in the 2-2 1/2 years I've been sorting.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing