copper separation theories

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

copper separation theories

Postby Sanford02 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi all,

I bought a box of pennies from the bank today during my lunch break...the typical box of N.F. String rolls that I usually get. I couldn't wait until I got home, so I just went through 10 rolls. Only 2 of the 10 rolls had less than 25 pre-82 pennies, and those 2 had over 15. Three of them had over 35 pre-82 pennies. There were also 6 wheats and 5 old copper canadians.

Now, I have not been sorting for very long, but this seems really unusual to me. Maybe it's just a fluke, and the other $20 will even out my percentage for this box, but I can't help but think that something is up here.

I'm thinking that when Brinks or N.F. String processes their pennies, the machine rumbles and vibrates and they have some large container of pennies. Maybe, since the coppers are heavier, the zincs and coppers separate a little from the vibrations, and the end of the run produces a bunch of copper heavy rolls. Then, since those copper heavy rolls were all rolled close to each other chronologically, they end up in the same box.....

Does anyone else have any insight? Does the penny processing procedure lead to an occassional box that is 50%+ copper? Or is my experience this time just a statistical fluke?

-Sanford02
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Re: copper separation theories

Postby Joogaler » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 pm

That is a very good theory, I haven't had that happen to me yet but hopefully one day it will. I wish the bank would just let me weigh all of their boxes and take the heaviest ones!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:07 am

Sanford02 wrote:Hi all,

I bought a box of pennies from the bank today during my lunch break...the typical box of N.F. String rolls that I usually get. I couldn't wait until I got home, so I just went through 10 rolls. Only 2 of the 10 rolls had less than 25 pre-82 pennies, and those 2 had over 15. Three of them had over 35 pre-82 pennies. There were also 6 wheats and 5 old copper canadians.

Now, I have not been sorting for very long, but this seems really unusual to me. Maybe it's just a fluke, and the other $20 will even out my percentage for this box, but I can't help but think that something is up here.

I'm thinking that when Brinks or N.F. String processes their pennies, the machine rumbles and vibrates and they have some large container of pennies. Maybe, since the coppers are heavier, the zincs and coppers separate a little from the vibrations, and the end of the run produces a bunch of copper heavy rolls. Then, since those copper heavy rolls were all rolled close to each other chronologically, they end up in the same box.....

Does anyone else have any insight? Does the penny processing procedure lead to an occassional box that is 50%+ copper? Or is my experience this time just a statistical fluke?

-Sanford02

Brinks runs the coin they get in through a machine called a "super sorter". It is a machine that they invented and they are the only ones who use it. The machine does vibrate but it sorts by size so the tiny weight difference doesn't matter.

The reason you sometimes get more coppers than the average is because a person brings them into the bank. Somebody decided to bring in their stash to the bank and than it filled the $50 bag. That $50 bag than gets put with other $50 bags to make a $3,000 skid. When they go to wrap the bags get cut and wrapped. You just happened to get the mostly copper bag that didn't get mixed to bad with the other pennies.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Joogaler » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 am

Wow I didn't know that, I need to quit reading up on the NWO, and Barry Soetoro, and take some time to learn more about the processing, and creation of currency,

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Joogaler wrote:I wish the bank would just let me weigh all of their boxes and take the heaviest ones!

What RANGE of weight would you say a complete box would have? I mean 50 rolls, plus wrappers, plus the box... what would a decent box weigh, versus a great box, versus a 100% zinc box etc?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Joogaler » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:34 pm

uthminsta wrote:
Joogaler wrote:I wish the bank would just let me weigh all of their boxes and take the heaviest ones!

What RANGE of weight would you say a complete box would have? I mean 50 rolls, plus wrappers, plus the box... what would a decent box weigh, versus a great box, versus a 100% zinc box etc?

I will try to do an experiment with that. I'm picking up 8 boxes today, so I'll weigh all of them, number them, and write the weight on the boxes, and see what percentages I come up with. Maybe start a new thread about it.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasTT » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 pm

The easier way to figure it out is to make a box of pure copper and a box of pure zinc and weigh them.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 pm

fasTT wrote:The easier way to figure it out is to make a box of pure copper and a box of pure zinc and weigh them.

I think HCBTT knows those numbers of the top of his head.....
TXBullion

Postby Joogaler » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 pm

fasTT wrote:The easier way to figure it out is to make a box of pure copper and a box of pure zinc and weigh them.

I thought about that, but I get brinks boxes, and use flat wrappers. I guess that little difference in weight probably doesn't matter considerably though.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby bman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:03 pm

I think a solid zinc box weighs about 14 pounds and a solid copper box is about 17 pounds.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm

theres a thread on the old forum that had exact weights broken down as far as boxes of 1% copper, 2% copper and so on and so on.

i'll look around a bit...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:32 pm

aloneibreak wrote:theres a thread on the old forum that had exact weights broken down as far as boxes of 1% copper, 2% copper and so on and so on.

i'll look around a bit...

Found it!
http://realcent.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~11736.asp

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:05 pm

To quote HoardCopperByTheTon from that thread,
"A box of 100% zinc weighs 14.1 pounds. A box of 100% copper weighs 17.3 pounds."
So, this is a basic chart, with all values being the coins in box with wrappers:
0% copper = 14.1 pounds
5% copper = 14.26 pounds
10% copper = 14.42 pounds
15% copper = 14.58 pounds
20% copper = 14.74 pounds
25% copper = 14.9 pounds
30% copper = 15.06 pounds
35% copper = 15.22 pounds
40% copper = 15.38 pounds
45% copper = 15.54 pounds
50% copper = 15.7 pounds
...(if it weighs more, for goodness sake, BUY it!)
100% copper = 17.3 pounds

In short, 14 pounds is a zilch box, 14 and a half pounds is low but decent, 15 pounds is a great box, 16 pounds is a monster box! And 17 pounds would mostly be unheard of...
uthminsta

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing