UPSP hypothetical

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

UPSP hypothetical

Postby biglouddrunk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 pm

What would happen to the market for selling copper pennies if next year the USPS put a 40# weight limit on all flat-rate boxes? Would the market seize up or would the price people are willing to pay for copper increase?
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: UPSP hypothetical

Postby Number21 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Usually when shipping costs go up that is passed along to the buyer.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I think it'll be like cans of tuna... they are only 5 oz now.

Just smaller portions...
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Buyers will pay less for the pennies as they have to factor in the increased shipping cost per penny. As a result demand will fall and sellers will see a drop in their profit margins.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:23 pm

If they started charging regular rates for the boxes we are sending I think it would pretty much put an end to our "hobby". I wonder how much longer these flat rate boxes will be around.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby biglouddrunk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't see flat-rate boxes going away, but I would not be surprised if they lower the max weight, I sure they lose money shipping 70 lbs for 12 dollars.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Number21 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm

NDFarmer wrote:If they started charging regular rates for the boxes we are sending I think it would pretty much put an end to our "hobby". I wonder how much longer these flat rate boxes will be around.

I think they are making plenty of money off the flat rates. They started as a "test only", and then they decided to keep them so obviously they weren't a loser. We may be the "winners" in the flat rate box game, but, they still get plenty of small shipments in flat rate boxes that actually cost more than regular postage. It's still quite a savings for a lot of shippers not having to weigh, or seperately price their shipping for different customers, even if they aren't shipping 68lbs of copper....
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scentavoh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 am

could you imagine what a pain a 70-pound small flat rate box would be to handle? it would be five times heavier than the same box full of copper cents!
scentavoh

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:58 am

All we would need to do is start lobbying congress to force the company running the USPS to keep flat rate boxes.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing