Sorting by candlelight tonight

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Sorting by candlelight tonight

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Think I'd let a little thing like a thunderstorm power outage stop me? Got 4 candlepower (without looking it up I think it's maybe 6 watts) plus an old whale oil lamp burning. Yeah, I fully expect to be blind by tomorrow 8-)

Only wish I had some authentic whale oil.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Sorting by candlelight tonight

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Baaahahahahahaha.............
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Well, there's something I hope never to do again. And the power's still not back on :cry:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:46 pm

are you using your phone to post here?
TXBullion

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 am

Yep. It's been my only internet access since last year.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Mossy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Morsecode wrote:Well, there's something I hope never to do again. And the power's still not back on :cry:

I lived off the grid for several years while my only electricity involved "D Cells" and most of my light involved diesel standing in for Kerosine.

No, this is not something to do if there is a way around it.

If you have to do without electricity and are using just one lantern: Cut the flaps off a big cardboard box, line with foil, stand on end, put table lantern inside. Cut a hole in the top for the hot air to escape. A partial sheet of foil across the top in front will throw light back into the box so it has more a chance to escape below where you can use it.

Good way to get enough light to read by using a candle as well. Also room for more than one candle, but I did not use them much, they cost too much per hour.

Mantel type lanterns usually flicker. Several mantels burning at once are better because they don't flicker all together so they produce less eye strain.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thaler » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:45 pm

I use a palm sized LED flashlight when I sort, even with the lights on. To me, it makes things so much clearer.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:55 am

thaler wrote:I use a palm sized LED flashlight when I sort, even with the lights on. To me, it makes things so much clearer.
One of those book lights work well, especially the kind with a flexible neck.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 am

Actually I wished I could experience a "thunderstorm power outage". I live in the Mojave Desert in Southern California and we average 358 days of sunshine a year with only 7 days of any measurable percipitation. Haven't seen any snow, hail or ice in two years. Our relative humidity averages 12% throughout the year. When you are shaving by the time you get to the other side of your face the very top layer of the shaving cream will already be turning to powder. When you are eating a sandwich the surface of the bread will start to take on a hard film before you finish if it is a windy day. In fact it is so dry and clear here the major airlines store there surplus planes and older parts planes at our Mojave Airport so they won't experience any deterioration.

So Mr. weatherman please send me a few "thunderstorm power outages" so I can go sit out in them and enjoy some weather. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm

pennypicker wrote:Actually I wished I could experience a "thunderstorm power outage". I live in the Mojave Desert in Southern California and we average 358 days of sunshine a year with only 7 days of any measurable percipitation. Haven't seen any snow, hail or ice in two years. Our relative humidity averages 12% throughout the year. When you are shaving by the time you get to the other side of your face the very top layer of the shaving cream will already be turning to powder. When you are eating a sandwich the surface of the bread will start to take on a hard film before you finish if it is a windy day. In fact it is so dry and clear here the major airlines store there surplus planes and older parts planes at our Mojave Airport so they won't experience any deterioration.

So Mr. weatherman please send me a few "thunderstorm power outages" so I can go sit out in them and enjoy some weather. :D

Wish I could. We normally should be having our famous daily "sea-breeze" induced summer thunderstorms, but they are late, and we are burning up. Brush fires everywhere. (Not just in AZ/NM.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing