A day I will never forget.....

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

A day I will never forget.....

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:14 pm

It was back in 1966. LBJ was our new President and painful memories of JFK were still strong. The war in Viet Nam was escalating and the mothers in my town prayed it would end before their sons graduated high school. All the girls in my school loved the Beatles--especially Paul! Baseball would never be the same for us Dodger fans as Sandy Koufax was calling it quits. And the great Mickey Mantle was nearing his end and you could see it as he ran the bases or chased a fly ball. Vince Lombardi was the standard and envy of every high school football coach. And those big-block muscle cars-wow! And let's not forget the girls and their sexy "hip hugger" bell bottom pants--wow again! Steve McQueen was the fancy of countless teenage girls. Back in '66 in small town California the skies were a deep blue then, the clouds pristine white and the water sparkling clean. Gangs, drive-by shootings, home-invasion robberies?--the words didn't exist in those days. Cokes were a dime, candy bars a nickel. You and your pals could hunt 3 cent coke bottles in the morning and be stuffed with RC cola & Snickers bars by lunch time--Jesus what a great time to be a kid in the fifth grade!

Every school morning my mother would give me a quarter for my hot lunch and she would tell me not to loose it or I would go hungry that day. So I would push it deep into my pocket and off it went. But one particular day as my mother was to hand me my quarter I instead experienced a heavy thud hit my hand followed by the words, "Donnie that is a Walking Liberty 50-cent piece and it is equal to two quarters so make sure the lady at school gives you back a quarter in change". I stood there mesmerized by that silver monstrosity in all its glory. I remember taking it back out of my pocket and holding it in my hands as I walked to school admiring all of its details and beauty. The coin seem alive as LIberty herself appeared walking to greet the rising sun. It was huge...it was beautiful... and it was more than just a coin--it was a piece of art!

During my morning classes and recess I would occasionally retrieve Lady Liberty from my pocket and sneak a peak at her. As lunchtime neared I was hit by the realization that in no way could I surrender her to the cashier--no way! So I went hungry that school day and instead of joining my friends in the cafeteria I opted to play tetherball by myself at the playground. The remainder of the school day was slow as everything slows down when your hungry. But the final bell came and with it came another problem as realized I didn't have the quarter my mother was expecting. With this in mind I sprinted to our local liquor store and scurried about the open fields that bordered it in search of the beloved 3 cent coke bottle--the bread & butter of my childhood. With my adrenaline pushing me perhaps 30 minutes passed and enough were had--I had my quarter.

As expected I ate a big dinner that evening and that night I held Lady Liberty in my hand and admired her until I feel asleep. I had mixed sentiments in that I was happy that the coin was mine and that I earned it by going hungry and collecting bottles. But I also knew that what I did was wrong and that my mother worked hard every day to give my that quarter. But as the days passed so did my guilt--its like that when you're a kid. My mother is gone now but I still have that Walking Liberty and I would not trade it for a $20 gold piece. I am sincere when I say this because every time I take a look at that wonderful coin it brings back all the memories of my childhood and all that my parents did for me. No $20 gold piece can do that for me.

That special day back in 1966 is a day I'll never forget as it was the first time I ever laid eyes on a Walking Liberty half-dollar--and it was the first day that I became a coin collector! :D

Last edited by pennypicker on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: A day I will never forget.....

Postby NiBullionCu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Great story.

Thanks for sharing!

I remember cruising the alleys for returnable bottles as a kid.

beer bottles were 2¢, pop bottles were 5¢, and quart bottles were a whole dime!!!
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:21 pm

What a cool story. I have silver coins from my father-in-law, my grandparent and a few my mom saved years ago and recently gave me.

I agree that some coins are priceless..!!
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Very cool, do you remember if the quarter you got was clad or silver? not relevant but I was just wondering!
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 pm

I nearly cried a little reading this. You can't do that to a guy on a lazy Saturday!

Did you ever confess?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:27 pm

TXBullion wrote:Very cool, do you remember if the quarter you got was clad or silver? not relevant but I was just wondering!

I wouldn't recall because in '66 I paid no attention to silver Rosie's, Washingtons or Kennedys as they were common in change. It was not uncommon to see my father spend a Franklin, mercury or buffalo and I distinctly remember back in '66 going to the coin shop in town for the first time, once I became a collector, and seeing a stack of BU '64 Kennedy's in the show case for .55 cents each and thinking how ridiculous it was to pay an extra 5 cents for them. Walking Liberties on the other hand were seldom seen in change back in '66 and were considered a real treasure by myself and my other childhood coin collecting friends!!
Last edited by pennypicker on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:41 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Did you ever confess?

I never did. That was one of those secrets that we as kids just keep to ourselves and never forget.
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Great story!

I only remember 1966 as the first year I started crapping my pants. That story would not be a touching as yours.

Very well written, a neat feel-good read.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Thogey wrote:Great story!

I only remember 1966 as the first year I started crapping my pants. That story would not be a touching as yours.

HAHAHAHAHA! I hope you were born in 1966. Otherwise, at what age did you start crapping your pants?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby hirbonzig » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Very good story!

I still have a 1927 cent that my mother let me keep after looking thru her change jar back in the mid 70's. That penny may not be my first coin as a collector, but it brings back memories of my childhood-just like your Walker.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby gojomoso » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Awesome story!

how much was gas back then? :lol:
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rickygee » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Gas at the major brand stations in the Cincinnati, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana tri-state area would have been about 37.9 cents per gallon for 'regular' and 41.9 cents for premium or 'ethyl'. This was the "EXPENSIVE" stuff.

Gas at the independents was roughly 25.9 to about 30.9.

Plus, if there was a 'gas war' going on you got free drinking glasses, silverware (stainless steel) toys, stickers... premiums out the wazoo with every 8 gallons purchased.

Stations gave S&S Green Stamps, or Top Value stamps for every dollar sold. (You'll have to Google those for the info)

BUT WAIT THERE'S STILL MORE! The guy at the island pumped your gas, checked your oil, cleaned your front and rear window, kept a wad of bills in his shirt pocket and a coin changer on his hip, and wasn't really concerned about being robbed.

Oh, yeah. I did time as a pump jockey. Lotta fun.

Yep, you could cruise all night on a bucks worth of gas.

BTW. Ain't a glass cleaning attendant alive doesn't have fond memories of the beautiful scenery that was visible thru the safety glass at times! ;)
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Great story!

Digressing, it wasn't so long ago that I used to be "young". Sometime in the past 10 years I suddenly became an old-timer. It's actually a riot, when I think about it, in some ways. And scary in others. I'm now on my second generation of people who are completely disconnected from what I grew up with.

The Great Depression is to the current youngest adults what the Civil War was to me. Not many people left who lived through it; the survivors dying out. Corporate memory of it nearly gone. Viet Nam was a war of their grandparents, like WWII was for me.

Silver as coinage; hardly anyone knows that. I had an interesting discussion late this afternoon with the young woman at a local independent espresso bar - she saw me picking through the "leave a penny" tray and asked me if I collected coins, so we struck up a conversation. She was one of the very few young people I've talked to in years (apart from this forum) with any understanding of coins. (I did take away 7 coppers; left her a clad rosie to replenlish with zincs.) We had a good conversation; someone had told her that nickels were good to keep, and she was proud to have kept a 68 Ike that she had found - she was fascinated by the size of it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:13 pm

68Camaro wrote:Great story!

she was fascinated by the size of it.

I better not even start on the kind of memories that thought invokes :shock: :? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:57 am

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Great story!

she was fascinated by the size of it.

I better not even start on the kind of memories that thought invokes :shock: :? :lol:

Ahhh - I'm a happily married man, and even if I was single I get a bit put off by vast expanses of tattoos, but she would be a good match for someone I'm sure... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:01 am

Thanks for the great story. Life might have been harder back in the 30's 40's and 50's but it sure was a lot better.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby abe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:33 pm

PennyBoy wrote:
Thogey wrote:Great story!

HAHAHAHAHA! I hope you were born in 1966. Otherwise, at what age did you start crapping your pants?

:lol: He told me he was born in 54 :D
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 pm

You Guys are bad :mrgreen: Old :lol: I graduated in 1955 from High school
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby myfundsarelow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:55 pm

AUG, 1955 was the year i ended 4 years of service in the USAF at 21 years of age, i missed three years in the fifites while serving 3 years in europe all good memories of days gone by PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing