Jim Cramer: Skip Dollar - Buy Copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Jim Cramer: Skip Dollar - Buy Copper

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 am

Former Hedge Hund Manger and tv personality Jim Cramer quipped to drop dollars for copper.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11153014/1/cramer-skip-dollar--buy-copper.html?cm_ven=RSSFeed

Just found that amusing as I was doing just that this week. I.e. giving a bank branch dollars and taking copper in return. Sure I have to sort it and store it but I'd rather buy the physical stuff on the cheap over futures any day. :mrgreen:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Re: Jim Cramer: Skip Dollar - Buy Copper

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 am

copper is better than dollars but if China crashes copper will suffer in the short term. copper price is highly correlated with global business activity.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:52 am

I enjoy watching Cramer though his delivery is somewhat over the top. But then again business can get boring and he does what he does to make it interesting. Method aside he is a very intelligent & knowledgeable person.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:copper is better than dollars but if China crashes copper will suffer in the short term. copper price is highly correlated with global business activity.

I've been thinking about that a lot recently. If china's housing bubble pops (which I'm not sure it really will 'pop' because everything is state controlled) it would drop copper I would think because of the housing market taking a significant drop. Long-term it will stay a great investment for a while I think though.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 pm

true, and its more than just housing. copper is used in everything. if factory output declines, then copper usage declines. their current rate of usage is off the charts high, its more spec and getting out of treasuries.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ffej » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:30 pm

When the world economy is good, cooper is used to build a better world, when the world economy goes bad, copper is used to build a better war....Just my humble opinion.
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:59 pm

If copper drops way down, that's when I'll back up my truck and load up! :D
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:16 pm

pennypicker wrote:I enjoy watching Cramer though his delivery is somewhat over the top. But then again business can get boring and he does what he does to make it interesting. Method aside he is a very intelligent & knowledgeable person.

Agreed pennypicker. If you consider it's entertainment first and investment advice second, it's all good.

Years ago he used to do a radio show before he had TV show gig. The radio show was truely something that you get more insight from. I recall before the oil boom years ago the he'd spend half of his radio show pounding the table to that you need to own an oil producer and a oil service company.

With TV though, such a shorter attention span you cater too. You have to rush through investement idea after another. Good stuff but take it with a salt shaker.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 pm

ffej wrote:When the world economy is good, cooper is used to build a better world, when the world economy goes bad, copper is used to build a better war....Just my humble opinion.

I agree.

Plus, you can always use copper cents (rolls, gallon jars, 5 gallon buckets, Hoard's pallets of boxes) as trade units if push comes to shove.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Well, I don't have cable TV.. Gave it up years ago.. But, man! is Cramer getting old... hahaha. (me too) Anyways.. I love it. I'm working on my next 5 gallon bucket. Just about 2 thousand more to go.. lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Short term I think copper will give back a little ground, but long-term it's strong. Honestly I think it's a better inflation hedge than gold. People buy gold because there scared, people buy copper to use.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Yes, but gold is more scarce and harder to mine than copper. Copper is abundant and I believe mining could be more easily expanded than it could be for gold. That being said, I'm still hoarding copper. I think it's good to be diversified and both will likely appreciate nicely.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:14 am

inflationhawk wrote:Yes, but gold is more scarce and harder to mine than copper. Copper is abundant and I believe mining could be more easily expanded than it could be for gold. That being said, I'm still hoarding copper. I think it's good to be diversified and both will likely appreciate nicely.

There is not a lot of industrial application for gold. Granted I don't see it dropping much, I believe copper will close quickly on gold/silver and surprise a lot of people. Will it be worth more? Not in my lifetime, but it will gain at higher percentages over the next 10 years IMHO.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:30 am

ffej wrote:When the world economy is good, cooper is used to build a better world, when the world economy goes bad, copper is used to build a better war....Just my humble opinion.

and when the world economy is idle or slowing, the price of copper declines.

be very careful when a you investment strategy and Cramer's advice are aligned.

personally i tune out all mainstream media. besides the questionable ethics of guys like Cramer and publications like Barrons and Forbes, a reason for this is a human instinct called confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is a human tendency to give disproportionate weight to things with which we agree. so if you want to invest in copper, and hear someone like Cramer recommend it or a publication like Forbes, then it will reinforce what you think is a good idea. you'll tune out others who disagree with your view.

it also works in the opposite direction. many here understand real money and how the government actually operates. this information conflicts with years and years of misinformation held by those we come in contact to. when you try to explain this stuff to them, their defense mechanism rejects it. its actually threatening. its quite common for them to lable you a nut.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby camtender » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am

inflationhawk wrote:Yes, but gold is more scarce and harder to mine than copper. Copper is abundant and I believe mining could be more easily expanded than it could be for gold. That being said, I'm still hoarding copper. I think it's good to be diversified and both will likely appreciate nicely.

During WWII, nickle became more valuable than silver. It's hard to say what metal may become the next "green metal", therefore, diversification in all metals is a good idea. One thing to remember, as the cost of fossil fuels continues to go up, so does the cost of mining any metal, including copper.

Cost push inflation - or supply destruction if costs cannot be passed on.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Yep, and I love it when I hear about all these alternative energy sources like wind and solar, because no matter the source of the power generation it takes copper to distribute it and move it from point a to point b.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Silver actually conducts electricity better than copper, but I don't see the wiring in my home getting replaced anytime soon.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 pm

inflationhawk wrote:Yes, but gold is more scarce and harder to mine than copper. Copper is abundant and I believe mining could be more easily expanded than it could be for gold. That being said, I'm still
hoarding copper. I think it's good to be diversified and both will likely appreciate nicely.

I wouldn't call copper "abundant" considering the world was short 855,000 metric ton last year alone. Which means demand is far surpassing supply.

Copper cents will close ground on classic gold/silver/copper coinage prices.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:50 am

As I understand, raw copper is also gold and silver ore, sometimes. So, if the demand for copper drops enough, some of the copper mines will probably close, decreasing gold and silver production.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing