The Old Sorters Club

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The Old Sorters Club

Postby Robarons » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I was just poking around and notice that realcent has seen a large increase of sorters with fresh thoughts (sometimes a little too fresh :lol: )

Most of the old guys from the old forum have disappeared and was wondering whos left? Who is our 'old men' of realcent. Back in the old days we saw the heyday of copper cent sorting in its infancy. I know that when I joined the just made it illegal to melt cents down, a hot topic of the time.

Anyone care to reminisce of the old days? When I joined in 2007 my sorting percents were 33% to 40% in Michigan.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: The Old Sorters Club

Postby Rosco » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:07 pm

I have not been sorting long 2009, but I'm old at least I think 73 an hand sorting is old :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:38 am

summer 2008. back in the good old days, my then 5 year old was happy to help and get paid in a half dozen wheat cents. these days he wants silver halves or ASE's. kid alrady beats me in chess and monopoly.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Slaphot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:37 am

I started saving all pennies from change back in 2008. Funny I thought all pennies were copper at one point:). I did not start mining bank rolls untill Dec 2009. I was a lurker for months before I actually joined Realcent back in Feb 2010. Here in the rust belt my % has always been a steady 30%.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gojomoso » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 am

Robarons wrote:When I joined in 2007 my sorting percents were 33% to 40% in Michigan.

From michigan! east or west side?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 am

When I heard the mint was going to make a composition change to zinc, I started putting away COPPER in 1979. I went to the bank and got some BU rolls in 1979, 1980, and 1981. Also, got some canvas bags sealed with a lead seal from the FED. Also, some BU FED bags too. Supplemented all this with some paper rolls that bank had on hand. When you ordered pennies from a bank in those days, the bank would tell you that you could not return them back in bulk. Never a problem for me, I never returned any of them. I got a number of rolls that that were sitting in banks for a decade or so earlier, the oldest date in them being in the 60's, with many brand new coins. I checked a few of these recently for wheaties, but none were in the rolls. In those days, folks had to put their SS number and phone number on the rolls when they brought their rolled pennies to the bank for deposit (not much security in those days).

Once I had a stash of COPPER, I continued to pull COPPER out of circulation and from some penny hoards my friends would give me in the 1980s. For many years afterwards, I sort of lost interest until I found RealCent a couple years ago. I had to sit on my stash for nearly 30 years (How's that for being patient), but I'm happy now. As your know, I'm sorting again, and it's fun knowing that what I pull out of circulation now is really worth the effort these days.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 am

Rob, you were the person that I completed my first transaction here on RC. Picked up a ton of indians if I recall. Had you ship them to my dad's house. Thats been two years ago. Before then, Long....Long time lurker for me. I remember fresh posts from tenbears, ponce's nick enthusiasm, and our most recent lost god father of RC....Ardent listener's guidance.

Still a good group here with the come and goes....miss some of the incite of the lost members....but I feel like there has been an influx of quality contributors even in my short time of member status that would not be same without:

Country- can you imagine a realcent without him? He has by far the most popular threads. The work and dedication in upkeep the man delivers is incomparable.
68Camaro- great incite posts. The man is sharp as a tack and has a matter of fact view on a lot of important topics.
Beauanderos- who needs kitco with this member online. Silver’s biggest cheerleader has made it where I will never fall below a certain total ounce hoard.
Market Harmony- I have stepped up to a new level in numismatics because of this member. I look at morgans completely different than I did just a year ago.

Moral of the story: Man there are a ton more folks out there that make RC …well RC. Members sign on and post everything from awesome finds to personal tragedies. Ups, downs, and just good coin talk. My coin game and life is different and better due to the info gathered and absorbed here.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:22 am

I started getting boxes in early 2008. I was staying with my cuz in SC. and I remember getting some great amounts of copper and even a few indian heads. Then i went home and sorted through a couple of boxes and they were all zincs. I also remember tenbears. I think he was one of the members in disbelief of wild indians. In a way it seems like a life time ago
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cerulean » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:43 am

I joined the old forum in 2006, and I've been pulling coppers from my pocket change just as long.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Kurr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:52 am

Do I qualify for this club?

I have to agree with Doc, in the years I have been here, I can honestly say, realcent CHANGES ( :D ) you!

I knew nothing of saving, sorting, hard money, economics, etc etc when I came here. Frankly thought everyone was nutz. Then I tried it an read an read an read an read.

Through the site and membership, I have started saving and investing. I actually had to save to get my first box of cents, I was that broke, with newborn boy/girl twins! I have learned about the markets, and sound money.

My children now have a nice Indian Head cent collection, wheat collection, copper pile, ASE collection, I have had a huge pile of copper, and sold a huge pile off. I bought a 1911 for security equipment/investment with money earned from copper cents that they own but I carry. Same with an 1851 Navy .36 caliber.

I have bought equipment and started a business for my children/family in the metals with money from copper cents, and encouragement and ideas from Market Harmony and others, A&M Fine metals to produce micro bullion in silver and gold. Copper cents have financed equipment so that I can produce jewelry, sheetstock and wire.

I remember Tennears back when he was TexasCattleRancher :D

This site and it's membership through the knowledge, education, kindness, civility, trust, and friendship can and will change a person. It has completely changed my life for the better and caused me to be a better person in mind and spirit.

For that I thank you all.

Here's to many many more years among friends!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 am

Well... it looks like Cerulean is in the lead for "the Old Man of Realcent" so far... length of time as a member, that is. :D Where's Hoardie? :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:24 am

upper right hand corner, click on members, then click on join date, and it will sort all members by join date. click it again and it will sort them by reverse join date.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 am

I came across the old site in 2007 and initially thought it was sort of a weird hobby, but pretty soon I started buying bundles of nickels to search for .999 and I got hooked. That was the summer nickel went into the 20's, which was a good motivator although I never sold any until recently. At that time the alloy recovery program had not yet started and percentages were generally around 25%, pretty good for a coin that was worth over 4x face at the time. I started bringing along a couple rolls of reject nickels with me when I went out, and running them through vending machines until I had full rolls of .999 . Later on I started sorting pennies and dimes as well. I have always hand sorted, thought about getting a Ryedale but I never took the plunge and bought one.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby camtender » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:19 pm

camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:26 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Rob, you were the person that I completed my first transaction here on RC. Picked up a ton of indians if I recall. Had you ship them to my dad's house. Thats been two years ago. Before then, Long....Long time lurker for me. I remember fresh posts from tenbears, ponce's nick enthusiasm, and our most recent lost god father of RC....Ardent listener's guidance.

Still a good group here with the come and goes....miss some of the incite of the lost members....but I feel like there has been an influx of quality contributors even in my short time of member status that would not be same without:

Country- can you imagine a realcent without him? He has by far the most popular threads. The work and dedication in upkeep the man delivers is incomparable.
68Camaro- great incite posts. The man is sharp as a tack and has a matter of fact view on a lot of important topics.
Beauanderos- who needs kitco with this member online. Silver’s biggest cheerleader has made it where I will never fall below a certain total ounce hoard.
Market Harmony- I have stepped up to a new level in numismatics because of this member. I look at morgans completely different than I did just a year ago.

Moral of the story: Man there are a ton more folks out there that make RC …well RC. Members sign on and post everything from awesome finds to personal tragedies. Ups, downs, and just good coin talk. My coin game and life is different and better due to the info gathered and absorbed here.

Very well said Rodebaugh. I came to the dark side a little over a year ago (fairly new in perspective) but wouldn't change anything. RC definitely grows on you!
TXBullion

Postby Number21 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Never saw the old site, but I've been picking coppers for at least a decade. People thought I was crazy when copper pennies were still worth less than a cent. NOW WHO'S CRAZY!?! :lol:
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 pm

I was a late bloomer. In fact, I needed a little prodding from Nate at the Copper Cave (http://coppercave.com/copper) before I committed myself to the same loony bin that all you other guys are in. I love copper. Copper cents, copper bars, copper roofs, copper whatever, I love it. It took me about 5 or 6 years before I found realcent, but I sure am glad that I did. I joined in 2009 and have been in good company since.

Thank you to all the members, past and present, that have made realcent what it is today. The future has a wide range of possibilities. I hope we all can share that future with each other, and even more members will make that better. Go out and tell someone today about realcent.org! :D
Last edited by Market Harmony on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby bankmining » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Just thought of something - has anyone heard from the original founder of this forum, Realcent himself? I think he disappeared about the time I joined maybe a little before.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:18 am

Not sure I qualify as an "old" sorter :lol: , but I have seen Realcent grow a lot since I joined. I'm a member on probably more than half a dozen metals forums, but Realcent is the one I keep coming back to. Ya'll are a wealth of information, inspiration, and support. It only took a couple months of hanging out here to encourage me to start The Copper Cave. It has grown significantly over the past three years, and I currently have a lot of new things in the works, again in large part thanks to the connections I have made with outstanding members here.
natsb88

Postby ed_vantage17 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm fairly new here, but it feels like the new X-men movie when the mutants find out they're not alone and start meeting others like themselves. I've been in various stages of sorting/hoarding for many years but I finally feel like I'm not a complete whack job. There are others. We are legion.
:)
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm

TXBullion wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Rob, you were the person that I completed my first transaction here on RC. Picked up a ton of indians if I recall. Had you ship them to my dad's house. Thats been two years ago. Before then, Long....Long time lurker for me. I remember fresh posts from tenbears, ponce's nick enthusiasm, and our most recent lost god father of RC....Ardent listener's guidance.

Very well said Rodebaugh. I came to the dark side a little over a year ago (fairly new in perspective) but wouldn't change anything. RC definitely grows on you!

I'm honored (I think - sharp as a tack sounds like I'm doing well - "all things considered" ;) ) to even be mentioned in this list, but - while this goes off-topic - I have to add neilgin to this. See his latest post - a must read if you haven't already, so I'm advertising it:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6521&p=62366#p62291
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I've been around since '07 or so. Thisis the only site I participate in. Great place full of great people.

It's true, many have come and gone but the community survives. Some can stay gone, hehe....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm

yeah Rich, Neil is no joke. Very smart cat indeed.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby fb101 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I miss hearing from TenBears. I've been round since '08 and lurker before that.
fb101

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

I, too, was a proud lurker before I came out of the closet and signed up to be a official member of this forum. It's nice to feel like you you just "fit" here. It's amazing how smart some of us really are in contrast to how just about everyone else thinks were crazy with our "dumb" penny thing. And the best part is that there doesn't seem to be too many knuckle head bad apples here. Lots of GOOD folks here!

If this is "crazy"...I like crazy!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing