Advice for Ryedale Beginner

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Advice for Ryedale Beginner

Postby HoldingAg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 am

Hello All,

I am about to receive my first Ryedale Apprentice machine probably early next week. I have only been hoarding copper pennies for about 4 months. I have a small business and a family so I hardly have any time to sort. What I have been doing when I do have the time is this: I go to my bank and ask for $25 or $50 in pennies, get them home and start hand sorting the rolls. I keep the wheats in a separate bin for saving (earliest was a 1912), and the foreign coins in a separate bin, and the 82's separate for weighing when I get enough of them. I weigh when I get about 300 or so 82s.

I want to know if anyone can give me advice about picking up at the bank? I don''t have a lot of money, but I would like to start out by picking up about $100fv at the bank and going from there. How long will it take me to sort $100fv roughly? Also, can anyone tell me how to make the ryedale pick out the wheats from the regular coppers? After I sort I take the Zincolns to a TD Bank that has a coin sorter, I think I should open an account there, since I will be bringing more zincs from now on.-

Any advice for making trips to the bank, or ryedale use specifically would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips for a small time sorter would be good. Like I said my funds are limited, I think I will eventually start to sell some of my copper to support this hobby so anything advice-wise would be extremely useful to me, and I am sure for others as well.

Thanks!
HoldingAg
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Re: Advice for Ryedale Beginner

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 am

WElcome to the forum....Seems that you have it going on right now...With the fam and the biz the Ryedale is the way to go it will drastically shorten your sort time...when your Apprentice shows unbox it carefully it is a precision instrument....some banks have alot of coin on hand and many do not...depends on if they have local business or mainly residential customers...You could ask to order your cents so it doesn't leave them short of coin...Always pick them up when the coin comes in many banks do not have large vaults. For feeding your Ryedale try to scan the junky and bent cents out...these coins may jam your Ryedale. Many of us use a counter to seperate the bent and junky coins from the others. It should only take you maybe 40 minutes to sort 100 fv of cents. Doing four boxes at a time will leave your Apprentice lonely and lazy....sell your copper when you can to build up your working capital. There are many threads here that offer much more info...Good luck and remember some may look at you abnormally but what is normalcy...here on real cent the non sorters are the abnormal ones.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby gojomoso » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 am

HoldingAg wrote:Hello All,

I am about to receive my first Ryedale Apprentice machine probably early next week. I have only been hoarding copper pennies for about 4 months. I have a small business and a family so I hardly have any time to sort. What I have been doing when I do have the time is this: I go to my bank and ask for $25 or $50 in pennies, get them home and start hand sorting the rolls. I keep the wheats in a separate bin for saving (earliest was a 1912), and the foreign coins in a separate bin, and the 82's separate for weighing when I get enough of them. I weigh when I get about 300 or so 82s.

I want to know if anyone can give me advice about picking up at the bank? I don''t have a lot of money, but I would like to start out by picking up about $100fv at the bank and going from there. How long will it take me to sort $100fv roughly? Also, can anyone tell me how to make the ryedale pick out the wheats from the regular coppers? After I sort I take the Zincolns to a TD Bank that has a coin sorter, I think I should open an account there, since I will be bringing more zincs from now on.-

Any advice for making trips to the bank, or ryedale use specifically would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips for a small time sorter would be good. Like I said my funds are limited, I think I will eventually start to sell some of my copper to support this hobby so anything advice-wise would be extremely useful to me, and I am sure for others as well.

Thanks!
HoldingAg

Welcome to the club, I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and love it. Spread your dump banks out, if you only have 1 bank available dont bring in more than $200 back in a week or you stand a chance of getting kicked out. Make sure to use dri-slide only on your ryedale.
Are you hoarding or selling?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

If you live in an area with a lot of banks, I'd try to limit my pickups to $50 at each bank and only visit them at most once a week. I try to keep under the radar. I have two banks where I do pick up $100 or $125 at a time, but that was only after starting small and then meeting the right person willing to help me out.

TD Bank is the way to go for dumping. Definitely open an account, or else they will charge you a percentage on dumps. I bring in less than $100 per visit to their coin counter and I only visit each branch once per week. I have at least 5 or 6 TD banks I can easily visit in my area.

I strongly recommend the under the radar approach and keep the volumes low, but the consistency high. Except for here on Realcent, i never really talk to anyone about my penny sorting. For two reasons, first, I don't want someone else in my immediate area to become my competition and maybe cause banks to cut off supply because too many people are asking for pennies, and secondly, I think many people may think I'm crazy!!!

Good luck and welcome to the board! Ryedales are awesome and you'll love it.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 am

inflationhawk has good advice. I dump at TD's and I usually bring about $80-100 at a time. Half the time I fill the bags, sometimes I don't have to bother the tellers. Bringing them treats is a huge help. It really improves their attitude. Spread it around to as many branches as you can. I am lucky that I pass about 8 branches on my commute to work.

If I were you, I would stop around at some banks (Not TD Banks - keep source and dump separate) and ask if they can order you coins. I have a supply bank that gets me 8 boxes a week and I go and pick up each Tuesday. I just tell them that I am a collector and I also tell them that I WILL NOT bring the coins back to them. They have no problem doing that for me. I have also had many different banks offer to order for me when I go in to get a box or three. They prefer to have you order so that they don't run out. If one place turns you down, don't let it discourage you, just ask the next one. Someone will be happy to help you. If you are not gonna do huge volume, you can just get one good source bank like I do and then you don't have to worry about stopping in at a bunch of places and you don't have to worry about getting weird looks or getting rejected.

Yup, keep that SNP lubed! If you get a jam and the pennies start clogging up the feed ramp, you probably need to apply more lube to the SNP.

$100 FV through a Ryedale? Well under an hour. I have never timed it exactly, but I think I do about 6 boxes/hour on average now that I have a good system in place.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:32 pm

You will eat through the 100 fv pretty fast.

How I sort, while still harvesting the wheat (pun intended, but won't land)

Wait till after you sort to search the coppers for wheat. Also a head lamp helps to spot em.

Treat your ryedale well, and it will be good to you. Clean it and lube it regularly.

Enjoy! This will step you up to a whole new level.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:40 am

Don't forget to check the zinc pile for the older wheats....cause that's where they will fall!

Watch after your first box....it'll go by so fast...you'll say to yourself...."That's it....what do I do now?"....be prepared to be shocked so you should stock up on a few extra boxes to get you through the rough, quiet, lonely times of empty boxes.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoldingAg » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to the contributors of this thread so far. The information contained here has been very valuable to me and I'm sure to other new Ryedale owners and hand sorters alike.

Please keep this thread going, and the information coming.

Any advice on sorting/hoarding and more specifically Ryedale sorting/operation / sorting on the cheap is Welcome!

Thanks Again,
HoldingAg
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby John_doe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:27 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Don't forget to check the zinc pile for the older wheats....cause that's where they will fall!

Watch after your first box....it'll go by so fast...you'll say to yourself...."That's it....what do I do now?"....be prepared to be shocked so you should stock up on a few extra boxes to get you through the rough, quiet, lonely times of empty boxes.

Even I am still learning. I found a 1917 in my zincs this evening.
That 1909 vdb s might have already slipped through my fingers. :oops:
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 am

I continually change my mind about how thoroughly I should check my zincs before I dump. Sometimes I only glance at them as I am feeding them into the penny arcade. Sometimes I sit there and look at every one before I bring a batch to the bank. I have pulled a lot of old wheats out of the zinc pile. It is a tough call. Should I be spending a bunch of time looking through this when I could be sorting more instead? Considering the low % of good stuff found in the reject pile, I would hate to see what the actual hourly return is on that task. But sometime I just can't stand the thought of a possible IHC going back to the bank.

The practical side of my brain tells me to just dump all the rejects and don't waste any time, but it is hard for me to stick to that. Right now I am just hoarding so all of the accepts just get boxed and I don't search for wheats in them. I do have a few boxes that I did already pull out the canadians and wheats on, just in case I wanted to sell or trade at some point. Otherwise I figure that there will always be time to pull out the wheats in the years to come. Right now I am trying to focus my time and attention to getting as much copper pulled as I can while the percentages in the wild are still decent.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 am

I use the quick-sift method on the zinc rejects. I just dropseveral handfuls into a large tray "I picked up at the dollar store. I quickly sift through these by hand before dumping into one of the automatic rolling machines or high speed counters. You would be surprised at how easy it is to pluck one those elusive Indians or older wheats out of a bed of shiny zinc. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby gettin copper » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 am

Maybe I been returning my old stuff back with the zinks :?

I run a zink accept, disregard that whole bucket. Then run a copper accept against the good bucket, then hand sort those for wheats. What are old wheats and Ih's composed of that would make them go into the zink bucket running a zink accept through the ryedale?

Also, whats the most you would pay for a 1k lot picked up local?
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 am

Gettin Copper: When you do your 2nd run (the copper accept), how many rejects do you get, and what are they typically?

I have attempted to do a zinc accept before, but the results were not an accurate sort. I made sure the comparator penny was positioned correctly and I even moved it around a couple of times, but I still got lousy results. On the other hand, when I do a copper accept, I get very very accurate results (other than the occasional old wheat that gets rejected)

I think that it is better to just do the copper accept and pass the pennies through once. I'll get twice the life out of my machine and it'll take me half as long to process. But of course this is at the expense of missing the occasional wheat. This is my thinking right now anyway and I am open to others opinions.

Maybe someone out there thinks that I am crazy to dump zincs that may have some old wheats mixed in. If that is the case, I will sell you all of my zincs at face value. Local pick up only. Guaranteed to only be run once through a ryedale with copper accept :P (dreaming)
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby gettin copper » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 am

NHsorter wrote:Gettin Copper: When you do your 2nd run (the copper accept), how many rejects do you get, and what are they typically?

I have attempted to do a zinc accept before, but the results were not an accurate sort. I made sure the comparator penny was positioned correctly and I even moved it around a couple of times, but I still got lousy results. On the other hand, when I do a copper accept, I get very very accurate results (other than the occasional old wheat that gets rejected)

I think that it is better to just do the copper accept and pass the pennies through once. I'll get twice the life out of my machine and it'll take me half as long to process. But of course this is at the expense of missing the occasional wheat. This is my thinking right now anyway and I am open to others opinions.

Maybe someone out there thinks that I am crazy to dump zincs that may have some old wheats mixed in. If that is the case, I will sell you all of my zincs at face value. Local pick up only. Guaranteed to only be run once through a ryedale with copper accept :P (dreaming)

I just ran a half 5-gallon bucket of keepers after running a zink first, and 10 wheats and a couple zincolns made it into the other bucket. All the wheats that get rejected with the copper accept are 1940 and older usally
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby inflationhawk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 am

gettin copper wrote:Maybe I been returning my old stuff back with the zinks :?

I run a zink accept, disregard that whole bucket. Then run a copper accept against the good bucket, then hand sort those for wheats. What are old wheats and Ih's composed of that would make them go into the zink bucket running a zink accept through the ryedale?

I use this same process and if I return some old wheats, IHC, or even a very few mis-sorted coppers, I don't sweat it. You can't be a perfectionist when your sorting hundreds of thousands or even millions (in Hoard's case) of pennies. I do find old wheats, several pre-1920, but I wouldn't be surprised if I returned several by accident. The long step in the process for me is sorting out the wheats and Canadian pennies from the copper accepts. I'm wondering if I should skip this step before rolling them up into $25 boxes. They're all still high percentage copper after all.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gettin copper » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:22 pm

inflationhawk wrote:
gettin copper wrote:Maybe I been returning my old stuff back with the zinks :?

I use this same process and if I return some old wheats, IHC, or even a very few mis-sorted coppers, I don't sweat it. You can't be a perfectionist when your sorting hundreds of thousands or even millions (in Hoard's case) of pennies. I do find old wheats, several pre-1920, but I wouldn't be surprised if I returned several by accident. The long step in the process for me is sorting out the wheats and Canadian pennies from the copper accepts. I'm wondering if I should skip this step before rolling them up into $25 boxes. They're all still high percentage copper after all.

I'm still thinking about skipping the hand sorting the copper too. I find some while unrolling, and some looking in the copper bucket while ryedaling. I bet I could find alot more of them while ryedaling if I shake the good bucket around more, and just keeping more of an eye on the copper bucket while the machine is running.

And resale would be easier. Those coppers would pretty much be considered unsorted, and can label them 1909-1982
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Well I have a glad-bag ($10fv) of 1980 copper and with that I do a copper accept (1980) first adjusting the compartitor just enough to reject a few of them. (Bucket-1-green accepted copper) and (Bucket-2-white rejected) (green is good)

Then I have a glad-bag ($10fv) of 2010 zincs and I do a zinc accept (2010) and adjust the compartitor just enough to reject a few of them.
(Bucket-1 is now accepted zincs) and (Bucket-2 rejected) Hopefully old wheats and copper. normally a few $fv.

Then I go back to the copper/readjust and do the accepted copper to see if I can reject anything. Normally here it rejects about $5fv and I do get some zincs. Once that is all done I hand flip the copper for wheats. I did search my first $600fv dump and didn't find anything so I just ignore the dump now.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing