Ryedale's aren't necessarily right for everyone

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ryedale's aren't necessarily right for everyone

Postby rulesforrebels » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Hey guys, new to the boarsd. Been saving Silver coins for a while but relatively new to copper. I've been hand sorting for the most part but built myself a homemade machine recently and though it's no Ryedale it has sped up sorting.

Ryedales are an AWESOME machine. I will agree nothing else out that I've seen comes close to comparing to it. ALso from the amount of positive things I've heard about it not only is it a great machine but the guy who makes them apparently offers great custmer service and is a pleasure to work with.

That said someone like me who sorts 1-3 boxes per week doesn't need a Ryedale and the expense just isn't justified. If I uppsed the amount of pennies I sorted and started seling on ebay I would definately invest in one however what I'm currently doing I can sort with my machine a box in just a few minutes, even by hand wouldn't be bad with the amount I do.

I've seen people on these boards as well as others refuse to offer any advice or acknowledge that anything besides a Ryedale can sort coins. Sure a Coinalyzer or home made sorter wont be as fast and possibly not quite as accurate as a Ryedale however for somene like me it speeds up the process and is cost effective. I havn't bought one but the Coinalyzer looks like a decent machine and I've read some good reviews about them. My machine works well for me, it's prety quick though I plan on speeding it up by building some type of hopper or at least a ramp to manually feed quicker

Anyhow, just wanted to say I'm new to the boards. Also wanted to say I wish people would be a little more helpful to people asking for machine sorting advice besides just telling everyone to buy a Ryedale and saying anything besides a Ryedale sucks.

Like I said if I uppsed my pennies I would definately invest in one but as it stands with only 1-3 boxes per week hand sorting or a home made machine is more than good enough, for me from a cost standpoint a Ryedale isn't worth it. I do however agree it's a fabulous machine, a fabulous company and th way to go sorting large amounts of coins.

I have heard about an Ace Model as well as a Sniper, seen the sniper on ebay, price is reasnoable and it looks fast, I may consider buying one of those. Seems like you cn recoup most of your money selling it when you decide to upgrade. As it stands though mine only cost me a few bucks to build, coin comparitor was $19 plus some wood and two hot wheels tracks.

Here's a vid of the one I'm using, nothing fancy, not quick but better than hand sorting for me. Mine is basically a homemade version of the coinalyzer though built my own powersource and ordered my comparitor from China. I'm finding I'm at least 99.4% accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX6GOnipo1g
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Re: Ryedale's aren't necessarily right for everyone

Postby daviscfad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Welcome to the board. I have been here and have neverrefused advice or been refused advice. I know what i know about pennies b.c of people on the board. I also have never seen people say anything but ryedale Sucks. Anyhow welcome to the bd.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:13 pm

If you plan to sell your copper at 1.7x and you do less than $100/week, then no, the Ryedale Apprentice isn't right for you. What is right for you? The mini Ryedale. As I recall, it was around $100 shipped; I had one, and that thing was perfect. No matter how few or how many pennies I sort per week, I will never do it in a machine that doesn't carry the Ryedale name.

Welcome to the board.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:20 pm

First, Welcome to RC, and your right Ryedales are not for everyone...many have more time the money, some like yourself don't sort enough, some like to hand sort, looking for those errors, heck we have read where poeple have bought one then sold it shortly after receiving it. The great thing about the Ryedale is its resell value usually in the greater than 90% range.

Many of us started handsorting then moved to a simple inexpensive penny sorter, like myself, then decided that time was money and moved to the Apprentice...this model will sort 100fv in less than 40 minutes. I bought mine used off of Craigslist....have nearly sorted a million cents through it since last June. We all like creativity..Did you look at some of the threads where people are writing about their homemade sorters....many responses were "where are the pics" Many of us were waiting on Linkster, VWBeamer and there creations...Recently another homemade sorter showed up here...the creators asked for comments...well it wasn't quite up to par yet so comments were somewhat critical....however they did ask for comments. I say good for you and good for everyone who sorts from Franklin sorting out the wheats to Slick and Hoard running four mahines to Highroller running the industrial sorters....man get with it and sort.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby rulesforrebels » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks guys, been lurking for a while finally signed up. Got a lot of good info from you guys already. Origionally was just interested in copper and sivler but starting to develope a little bit of an interest in collecting coins as well.

Was sorting wtih a buddy having some beers on my porch the other day and he had a great box, not only a ton of copper but he got 31 wheat pennies out of one roll, never seen anything like that before, I got 5 out of my last two boxes. OVerall he pulled 131 out of a box.

My comment about people saying anything besides Ryedals suck, I think that came out a little negative, wasn't insinuating people were rude to posters or anything like that just whether it be youtube or other coin boards when searching for info people would ask thing like anyone used the coinalyzer? and there would be 10 responses saying "get a ryedale" , "its no ryedale", etc lol.

Im surprised there's not a mid level product on the market at a lower price point but nothing of quality that i've seen at least.

I saw the copper king guys you refered to. I havn't watched their vids, the machine probably works decent but like someone else mentioned just the visible screws and stuff make it look ilke something thrown together even though it may be made well. that said and in their defense i suppose it makes sense to refine the design and see what people think with a rough outline before getting all concerned about the astetics of it.

I was going to buy a cheap coin sorter an make a hopper for mine however those things are so cheap i imagine motors burn out with too many coins so it probably really wouldnt' make it that much faster, can probably only load a few coins at a time. to really speedd things up i imagne i should get a hopper from an actual vending or slot machine, those things fling out coins like there's no tomorrow

anyhow, thanks guys look forward to learning more from the forums
rulesforrebels

Postby slickeast » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Tinkering and making your own is fine. Most who have Ryedales are big time sorters. I get my pennies loose and have anywhere from $500 - $1000 + to sort when I turn the machines on. I use 4 because i want to get the job done.

Like fasteddy said, the resale value is strong on a Ryedale. Customer service is beyond top notch. I bet no one can say that the customer service or support from Ryedale is anything but great.

99.4% accurate. Or 60 zincs mixed in with every $100 sorted. That is not good.

People sort at all different levels. PTP sorts just a few rolls a week and no need for a Ryedale. Some sort so much that the Ryedale is TOO SLOW and they use industrial sorters. So your statement is true that a Ryedale is not for everyone. The Ryedale is the right tool for the people who need to automate their sorting and needs a reliable machine that gets the job done.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:26 pm

I disagree with this statement "most who have Ryedales are bigt time sorters".

I don't know the demographics, of course, but my guess is most Rydale owners sort only marginally more than other sorters. They just do it faster.

If you can afford one and you plan to keep sorting buy one regardless of "how much you sort". It will pay for itself eventually.
barrytrot

Postby slickeast » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Big time sorters to me are people who are ordering boxes / or sorting $200 + a week. Hand sorting $200 a week to me seems like it would be very time consuming. Where a Ryedale can knock it out in about an hour.

That might not seem like big time to some. Maybe I should have worded my other post differently.
slickeast

Postby rulesforrebels » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Mine is 99.4% accurate out of the box, I havn't played around with the various sensitivity settings whatsoever so once I figure out how to make some adjustments I should be more accurate, I notice there's 3 or 4 different sensitivity and size settings so have to figure out how to make adjutments.

I notice resale value is strong, there's a Ryedaleon ebya I was bidding on. Started out low, I put in a few offers, bid it up to about $350 and then gave up. Maybe look into getting one down the road. I'll be curious to see what that auctions ends at, I imagnie pretty close to buying one retail so your sure right about holding value.

I ntoice some people make machines similar to the penny miser or penny wise or something like that. It looks like a pretty slow machine but from a design standpoint I think its really cool so I may make one just because I enjoy tinkering with things but probably wont even use it to sort pennies.

Question, I notice you mentioned bagged pennies. I know that means bags and not rolled coins but what are they? Are they coins people turned into the bank and the bank gives them to you instead of shipping them back to their vault?

How do I get these? Do I go to the bank and ask for loose bagged pennies? Are they happy to give them up so it saves them money on sending them off? How do you find the bags in comparison to rolls? More or less copper more or less wheaties?
rulesforrebels

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:57 pm

I currently sort less than $200 per month. My ryedale is skin and bones. It doesn’t have to worked to death to be enjoyable or have value fulfillment. I just like the machine. Simple as that. Kind of like having a Sexy Mustang parked in the garage. No need to drive it every day for it to have value.

Don't forget how to tabulate TRUE cost. If I buy a widget penny sorter for $500 bucks. I don’t have to sort a Silverado bed full of cent boxes to get “my money back”. I only need sort whatever the difference New paid price versus Used sold price of said penny sorter to reclaim my money / help come out ahead.

Example:
Buy machine sorter for $500
Sort pennies and what not
Then sell used sorter for $350
Question: What was the actual cost of “sort pennies and what not” in the above example?
Answer: $150

I know it’s not a groundbreaking Idea, but it is often the overlooked elephant.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Doc, you might need a Silverado bed full of cents to pay for the repairs to keep that Chevy running.
slickeast

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm

slickeast wrote:Doc, you might need a Silverado bed full of cents to pay for the repairs to keep that Chevy running.

:lol: ......Jeep and Ford guy here slick.

No Chevys in the Rodebaugh Driveway.......not now..........not ever!
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:32 pm

I understand you feelings. I started out handsorting $50 per week, then $150. Doing $150 per week by hand was about 2.5 for 5 days week, for me. I decided that a Ryedale was the way to go. I can double sort $150 per week in 1.5 hours with a Ryedale, but since then I have been ordering more pennies, like $800 last week.
A Ryedale is the way to save time, which if you have other things to do, is money. Ultimately, if you are sorting $150-$1000 per week, a Ryedale is the way to go, for accuracy, reliability, resale, and of course money/time saved.
I do enjoy reading about people's homemade marchines, and if it works fine for you, with the amount that you are currently sorting, that's great, but if you plan on increasing production, Ryedale is the last word....
Hoard on, and welcome to Realcent.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:36 pm

I was a hand sorter, then I built my own sorter with mixed results (anyone wanna buy an IGT S2000 hopper BTW?), then I got a Ryedale. Right now my penny sorting is "losing" money with all the investment I've put into equipment, but my plan has me turning that around in short order. None of this would be possible without a Ryedale.

I think most folks here worship at the alter of Ryedale because there is nothing out there that is even "comparable". I've seen a few piss poor attempts at a sorter being peddled on these pages. If there was ever anything that was as good, or better at a fair price, I'd give it a good, hard look, but I haven't seen anything yet.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:41 pm

After a acquired my Ryedale I was hellbent on paying it back and sorted hardcore until that point. It took two months. After that point, I'm a $100/week kinda guy, but it's all profit, so I'm not fussed!
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:After a acquired my Ryedale I was hellbent on paying it back and sorted hardcore until that point. It took two months. After that point, I'm a $100/week kinda guy, but it's all profit, so I'm not fussed!

How do you figure you "paid it back?" Do you mean you've now saved up $500 face value of copper? Or that you've been selling your sorts, making $40 or $50 each CTU... and now you've broken even? What does "paying it back" mean to you?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:29 pm

I average $200 week handsorting, and I could easily double that if finances allowed. That would only be $60/day and 3 hours time daily to sort, count, weigh the '82s, and bag all the sub-categories. I haven't convinced myself yet that if I had a machine I would step up production from the current comfort zone. Said comfort zone includes not only what I can afford to spend on cents (and locking away the 25% keepers), but also the fairly easy bank runs that support a modest $200/week habit. I'd definitely have to expand my territory considerably to feed an automated hungry beast to the extent I'd feel obligated.

And I guess I just enjoy finding the numi-coins that would be missed otherwise.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 pm

beauanderos wrote:
TwoPenniesEarned wrote:After a acquired my Ryedale I was hellbent on paying it back and sorted hardcore until that point. It took two months. After that point, I'm a $100/week kinda guy, but it's all profit, so I'm not fussed!

How do you figure you "paid it back?" Do you mean you've now saved up $500 face value of copper? Or that you've been selling your sorts, making $40 or $50 each CTU... and now you've broken even? What does "paying it back" mean to you?

thats the point.....and what about machine equity?
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:32 am

I bought my first Ryedale with proceeds from a lot of serious hand sorting. It paid for itself in 2 weeks of fairly serious sorting. The other 3 were all purchased at decent prices from members that decided to sell off their machines when the price of copper tanked. I used to have another Apprentice.. but highroller talked me out of it in a weak moment when he was just getting started. I think it is actually owned and run by another member now.

I have a lot of serious coin machines.. but the Ryedales are still my favorites. If you are going to sort pennies, you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.. if you are going to get serious about sorting.. Get a Ryedale, dude! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:39 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I bought my first Ryedale with proceeds from a lot of serious hand sorting. It paid for itself in 2 weeks of fairly serious sorting. The other 3 were all purchased at decent prices from members that decided to sell off their machines when the price of copper tanked. I used to have another Apprentice.. but highroller talked me out of it in a weak moment when he was just getting started. I think it is actually owned and run by another member now.

I have a lot of serious coin machines.. but the Ryedales are still my favorites. If you are going to sort pennies, you can do it with a pencil and a popsicle stick.. if you are going to get serious about sorting.. Get a Ryedale, dude! :mrgreen:

That's some hard work, sounds as though you really "earned" your ryedale.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:37 am

Slightly off-topic comments, but to two things that have been raised (again) above:

99.4% being not good: well 100% is best, and 99.4 is starting to get a little sketchy (if he has really calculated it correctly), but the truth is that a few tenths of error are perfectly tolerable, and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. To start, the mint alloy composition itself isn't perfect (95% Cu is nominal, not actual). And it is clear that banks don't deliver perfect bags, boxes, else we wouldn't have all these posts talking (if not bragging) about all the other weird coins we find in with the cents. (That's why I have this large container of canadian cents, not to mention euros, british pennys, and coins from bermuda, bahamas, antigua, etc.) I doubt that the bank delivers at better than 99.4%.

82s: I fail to understand the hubbub over 82s. I could care less if they are in my mix or not, as long as they as copper 82s. If there is some perceived stigma about them, I would be happy to take as many as someone can supply at FV. In fact I would probably give a bit of a premium...! ;) PM me, please. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm happy with my homemade machine. Getting the right comparator is key. Mine is very accurate.
I saved money by using mostly used parts.

BTW, you would be hard pressed to build a Ryedale with new parts much cheaper than you can buy one...and they have great resell value also.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:16 am

VW, that's an aweomse machine you got there. If you dont mind sharing I'd be intersted to know what kind of hopper your using. Very cool good job man
rulesforrebels

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:23 am

slickeast wrote:Doc, you might need a Silverado bed full of cents to pay for the repairs to keep that Chevy running.

I have a Silverado. And in a older post I showed how to hide $800 FV inside. See-- http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4875&hilit=+zinc
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 am

rulesforrebels wrote:VW, that's an aweomse machine you got there. If you dont mind sharing I'd be intersted to know what kind of hopper your using. Very cool good job man

It's an IGT S2000. If you're really interested, PM me and I can hook you up with one.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing