Another Reason Not to Place Large Orders

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Another Reason Not to Place Large Orders

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:30 am

Not only am I being told that I need to limit the size of my orders at my source bank, but the last twenty boxes I ordered? ALL 2011D's. How the hell are you supposed to harvest copper... if you can't order... and what you can is all zinc??? Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Another Reason Not to Place Large Orders

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:34 am

Time to start hoarding zinc? !! It's not my first, or second, or third, or fourth choice, but it's in my top 10...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:58 am

Well, Bro... I know where you could score an easy twenty boxes for the price of shipping and face. Nah, cancel that. More trouble than it'd be worth. I'll just do the Mint a favor and release them into the stream. :twisted: The good news is ... no wear and tear on the Ryedales :geek:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby gilpo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey, hoarding zinc is something to think about. How many of you would've hoarded all your coppers in 1982 in retrospect? Copper was only $1 a pound. How much is Zinc today? $1 a pound. Things that make you go hmmm.....
gilpo

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:33 pm

gilpo wrote:How many of you would've hoarded all your coppers in 1982 in retrospect?

not me. you are lucky if you can sell your copper cents for 1.7 cents each. if you bought them for a penny in 1981 and held them for 30 years you would realize only 1.78% compounded return. that is well below the rate of inflation, before subtracting for storage costs, etc. you could have earned 6-10% in a bond or 12% in the stock market.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:
gilpo wrote:How many of you would've hoarded all your coppers in 1982 in retrospect?

not me. you are lucky if you can sell your copper cents for 1.7 cents each. if you bought them for a penny in 1981 and held them for 30 years you would realize only 1.78% compounded return. that is well below the rate of inflation, before subtracting for storage costs, etc. you could have earned 6-10% in a bond or 12% in the stock market.

Well that and a couple of us weren't alive back then. :?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby WizardTN » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:53 pm

In the next 2 years most likely the zincs wil gain in numismatic value from further debasement and/or elimination of the penny. As far as base metal value ... see my post in the economic forum. Zinc and nickel have outpaced gold on a percentage basis since 1980.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Number21 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:not me. you are lucky if you can sell your copper cents for 1.7 cents each. if you bought them for a penny in 1981 and held them for 30 years you would realize only 1.78% compounded return. that is well below the rate of inflation, before subtracting for storage costs, etc. you could have earned 6-10% in a bond or 12% in the stock market.

That's if you trust the banks/government. Some of us don't, that's why we hoard metal.

I wouldn't start hoarding just plain zinc, but if I got new boxes of 2010s or 2011s you can bet I'd save them. The numismatic value will be high once the zinc penny is no longer. Imagine if you had a box of never circulated 1983 pennies. Worthless as metal, but, I'd bet worth more than dirty coppers on ebay...
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Number21 wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:not me. you are lucky if you can sell your copper cents for 1.7 cents each. if you bought them for a penny in 1981 and held them for 30 years you would realize only 1.78% compounded return. that is well below the rate of inflation, before subtracting for storage costs, etc. you could have earned 6-10% in a bond or 12% in the stock market.

That's if you trust the banks/government. Some of us don't, that's why we hoard metal.

I wouldn't start hoarding just plain zinc, but if I got new boxes of 2010s or 2011s you can bet I'd save them. The numismatic value will be high once the zinc penny is no longer. Imagine if you had a box of never circulated 1983 pennies. Worthless as metal, but, I'd bet worth more than dirty coppers on ebay...

good point. I don't see any harm in hoarding some zinc. It all depends on what you can afford to do, your strategy, storage as lemonthrower pointed out, etc.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:25 am

Number21 wrote:

well you can hoard whatever you want but seeing as 1.78% is less than the rate of inflation you'll be going backwards so good luck with that. thats why most people hoard copper, silver, gold and dump the fiat zincs at the bank.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:26 am

WizardTN wrote:Zinc and nickel have outpaced gold on a percentage basis since 1980.

performance depends on the measurement period. i expect the monetary metals to outperform the industrial base metals going forward.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 pm

What's a "large order?" :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby JTM3 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Number21 wrote:

Will that not cause the numismatic value to remain relatively low, as pennies become obsolete and cease to lose their mint luster in circulation?
+637 posts
JTM3
Penny Collector Member

Postby ember » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 pm

They are finding some doubled dies and other errors on the shields. So may be a good time to start searching them if you care to. I think most are Philly, though.
ember

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing