Garage Sale Payment....

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Garage Sale Payment....

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am

So one of my buddies is gonna have a garage sale next week, and i thought of an idea. Lemme get some feedback on this.

The idea I had is that for a discount off (thinking 25% off), one could pay in pennies. I figured getting a cheapo coin counting machine or those red tubes from Office Max to use in counting. Think this idea could work?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Garage Sale Payment....

Postby Snake42 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:30 am

zincs or coppers?
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 am

If you figure the biggest percentage of pennies will be zinc I think you are better off just going to a bank and getting pennies. After you give the discount you won't be gaining anything and probably will loose money.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am

Better idea....when they try to bargain down your price....and if it's close just tell them to add whatever pennies they have in their pocket/purse to it and it's sold!

Just a thought by someone who has NEVER done that! I swear I haven't! 8-)
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:58 am

NDFarmer wrote:If you figure the biggest percentage of pennies will be zinc I think you are better off just going to a bank and getting pennies. After you give the discount you won't be gaining anything and probably will loose money.

Interesting you pulled that up, and there is a reason for my discounting plan:

It's a given that with garage sales, people will try to lowball you like mad. I'm trying to play upon this idea abit by saying to the people "Okay, i'll give you this price (or the discount), but......pay me in pennies." Plus, there are a few cultural reasons as well (i've been hearing alot that Filipino's lowball like crazy. Supposedly they flock to garage sales to send back goods to the motherland.)

Like I said, I've thrown up the idea, see if it's viable or not. Good responses so far.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:26 am

Most people wont know they can acquire that many pennies...

You will need to direct them to a bank and inform them about prices/box...

May be more hassle than its worth, considering you can just take the proceeds to the bank yourself and pick up some boxes/bags...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Creative idea so props for that but I think it's more trouble than its worth for you and them.

First off your ad space is generally limited, do you really want to waste 2 lines of your ad saying if you pay pennies you get 25% off.

Also, are you actually going to give a discount or just quote a higher price and then take 25% off? If your really giving a true discount I think you'd make more money charging more than you will giving a 25% discount, having to buy a penny machine and then only getting a % of coppers adn the rest zincs.

I just don't think it's practical. Lots of garage salers have kids with tehm, now they gotta haul the kids and a bag or box of pennies around plus who's to say they even want something from your sale.

I think it's easier just going to the bank. Props on a creative idea though.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Don't think it work. Had a garage sale a few weeks ago after I bought a storage unit. It would have been way too busy trying to deal with pennies.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing