How do you guys dump your zincs?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How do you guys dump your zincs?

Postby Joogaler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm just seeing what methods everybody uses to dump their zincs. My bank requires me to put my account number on every roll, which is a pain because I'm sorting 10 boxes a week, and about to move up to 20 boxes. I bought a stamp to use to put my account number on my rolls, and use the flat wrappers, because they are the cheapest (I'm getting 1000 wraps for $4.68 shipped). But I wanted to know if anybody could give me any suggestions, other than finding a bank with a machine, because the only bank with a machine is about an hour away from me.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Re: How do you guys dump your zincs?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 pm

I am like Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption. Put them in my pocket with a hole in it and walk around the courtyard letting them drop down my pant leg.... :)

Actually I just toss mine in with my halves every week and run them through the coin machine so I cant help you.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 pm

NOW that does suc$ packing rolls and having to put an account number on EACH roll....yuck... I am one of the fortunate ones...I dump using five ballon buckets. Do you count the cents for packing the tubes by hand? Do you weigh them? If so maybe its time to move up to a batch processor that fills the preformed "shotgun" rolls. I have one but have not used the tubes on it yet...just use it to count out 10,000 cents per bucket. If your capital is right how about saving up and make the trip once a week or twice a month to the machine...time is money and all that rolling is sucking up your time....carpool with another sorter....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:27 pm

I don't have any type of sorter, was looking into getting one. Does anyone know if they make a coin sorter that just fills pennies? I mean all I need it to do is is put the pennies in the tubes. I might try to see if I can rig up something that does that.... I don't have the capitol to do it. I can only afford about $250 face right now.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:45 pm

They have those plastic funnel things that I have heard really help... I'm really small time on the penny sorting, generally only searching family piles and what not. I'd look into one of those.. or child labor.. "you can keep some of the newer SHINIER ones if you help me sort out all the old ones!!"

Something like this might help.
http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/coin-funnel ... googlebase
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Joogaler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:16 pm

MO-SILVER! wrote:They have those plastic funnel things that I have heard really help... I'm really small time on the penny sorting, generally only searching family piles and what not. I'd look into one of those.. or child labor.. "you can keep some of the newer SHINIER ones if you help me sort out all the old ones!!"

Something like this might help.
http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/coin-funnel ... googlebase

That's the exact same funnel thing that I have. I actually talked to my other bank today, and they will take bags of $50! I'm so excited, I lose so much time in wrapping, and my ACE should be here tomorrow or friday, so I'll be churning out copper left and right!

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:39 pm

I just joined a second credit union for their coin machine. $300 no charge, cash or deposit per month. Over $300, 8% cash or deposit. Don't know the brand of the counter (It's not a Coinstar or Cummins) but this thing is slower than molasses in January. But I can get cash, no fee, for zincers. Seems the only no fee coin machines in town are at Credit Unions. BTW, CUs can ALWAYS find a reason to let you become a member.

Original credit union, no fee if deposited, 8% cash, no dollar limits. This is my home FI and man, is that Cummins machine fast!!!
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Joogaler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:53 pm

rickygee wrote:I just joined a second credit union for their coin machine. $300 no charge, cash or deposit per month. Over $300, 8% cash or deposit. Don't know the brand of the counter (It's not a Coinstar or Cummins) but this thing is slower than molasses in January. But I can get cash, no fee, for zincers. Seems the only no fee coin machines in town are at Credit Unions. BTW, CUs can ALWAYS find a reason to let you become a member.

Original credit union, no fee if deposited, 8% cash, no dollar limits. This is my home FI and man, is that Cummins machine fast!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I've always heard that you had to be related to a government employee to bank at a credit union, but I guess it's not too hard. I would go that route, but the closest credit union is about 45 minutes away, and they're talking about closing that one.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:46 pm

I return loose to my credit union. I drop off the coins, take a drink order, and run down to the gas station and get their drinks. They absolutly love this. Two tellers actually ask me to come in on their weekends so they can get their drinks. The arrangement works out great for everyone involved, hehe. Sometimes I drop off my boots to get treated while I wait as the Red Wing shop is right next to the credit union.

There are no fees and cash is given to me on the spot. Their machine can eat through $1000 pretty quick....

Super easy to join this one. You must have at least a 550 credit score and work for one of several business, or just live in one of several counties.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby andrewjackson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 pm

:geek:. I picked up a used scan coin on ebay it works great.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Joogaler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 pm

andrewjackson wrote::geek:. I picked up a used scan coin on ebay it works great.

Wow how much did you pay for that? They don't even list the prices on their website lol.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennyaholic » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Well since I am a homeowner I just turn them into coinstar and get a ecard/gift certificate to Lowes. There is not a charge if you go with the card and I always need to get stuff but there are other options if you like Amazon and grocery cards.
pennyaholic

Postby fasteddy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 am

yes, on the Lowes gift cards but what if you use your zinc returns for capital on the next pickup....gift cards work well in small numbers but if you are doing 500 bucks a week in zinc dumps...well i guess some of us are going to be building something together with Lowe's ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby thesilvertiger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 am

[quote="AGCoinHunter"]I am like Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption. Put them in my pocket with a hole in it and walk around the courtyard letting them drop down my pant leg.... :)

That was funny, I love it. :lol:
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:07 am

I like to buy stuff like gas and groceries with my zincs (or roll and return to the bank). You might try only turning in full boxes, sealed, with your account number on the outside. The account # thing is to discourage you from turning in coin - it is rarely a real rule. Seriously where are you going to get penny sized slugs cheaper than a penny each?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:18 am

I return my zincolns loose in bags to the same bank that I receive from. Yeah, I know I shouldn't dump where I pickup but so far I seem to be the only customer that is hoarding copper cents. This particular bank gets a bunch of coins from alot of businesses that are along the interstate and so far my ratios have stayed 25 - 30% and that's with going thru 6 -8 $25 bags a week. They'll even call me if they get a bag or two more than usual at the end of the week and will even tell me not to worry that none of it is any of my dumps! :D It's been a good silver prospecting bank, too.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:37 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:I am like Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption. Put them in my pocket with a hole in it and walk around the courtyard letting them drop down my pant leg.... :)

Actually I just toss mine in with my halves every week and run them through the coin machine so I cant help you.

"Turns out andy's favorite hobby was toteing his wall out in to the yard" Can quote prety much any line in that movie. A few of us used to quiz each other on it at work to make the time go by
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Coppergames » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:53 pm

I just take them to my bank, drop them the coin machine and hand in my ticket and with that I buy more pennies haha.

Happy Coin Hunting!
Got lots of stuff on sale, Stranga!
Coppergames

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:30 pm

They don't have machines at the banks near me.. so I have to use my own. I usually just bag them using one of the DeLaRue Mach 7's or Glory CN-12's.. or roll them up using one the Glory automatic rolling machines. I seem to have little probem disposing of zinc if it is bank wrapped rolls. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ModernSurvival » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I only get a box or two a week and just do it for fun while having a beer or three. We have a lot of branches of our bank (Smaller Regional called Frost), I always pick up at one and dump at the other. My wife just takes the big jar when she does a deposit on Saturdays and includes it with the deposit.

Then sometime during the week when I am out and about I pick up another box. I figured for some of you guys doing big volume it would be a chore. With my bank they just dump it in a machine the rolls them all up and no charge or anything.
ModernSurvival

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing