My first box of pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

My first box of pennies

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 pm

I have been a longtime follower of realcent.org and I always enjoy reading the stories in the Copper, Nickel, and Silver forums. You guys seem to have so much fun with the hunt for copper, Wheats, Indians, Buffalos, silver in the wild, and other crazy stuff. Hunting for 90% junk silver deals on eBay has been my way of accumulating the good stuff – and plucking any copper pennies and other interesting coins from my pocket change. But I always wanted to give roll sorting a try.

Today I actually had a need to pay a visit to my local bank branch which is pretty rare for me now with all of the online banking available. When I finished my business with the teller, I asked if I could get a box of pennies. She said she didn’t have a box at her window and would go get one for me but she did have loose rolls and could give me $25 worth if I had a bag or something to carry them in. Instead of taking her up on that offer, I said that I would wait for her to go retrieve a box. Maybe that was a mistake, I won’t know for sure until I sort the box. I did crack open the box when I got home and saw through the plastic tubes that it is a mix of shiny copper and the nice brown circulated kind. Maybe some good finds will be in there.

Anyway, while I waited for her to return with the box I glanced over at the teller tray for a quick edge check for silver. All I saw was a tall stack of quarters all showing the copper strip and three clad halves – no silver edges showing waiting to be “rescued” from the stack. I must thank you guys on the board for that little trick I learned.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: My first box of pennies

Postby ember » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm

I not only hoard the copper cents, but I also look through every cent for any possible errors. If you care to do so, you can possibly find some valuable errors with time.
ember

Postby Oakair » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 pm

ember wrote:I not only hoard the copper cents, but I also look through every cent for any possible errors. If you care to do so, you can possibly find some valuable errors with time.

Ive found a clipped planchet and a few strike throughs in under 1000FV sorted...pretty happy with that, but still looking for those double died and wide AM's
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby anarchir » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 am

I dont bother looking for errors. It doesnt seem worth it given the strain on ones eyes and the fact that the time might be better spent just efficiently sorting coppers.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:I have been a longtime follower of realcent.org and I always enjoy reading the stories in the Copper, Nickel, and Silver forums. You guys seem to have so much fun with the hunt for copper, Wheats, Indians, Buffalos, silver in the wild, and other crazy stuff. Hunting for 90% junk silver deals on eBay has been my way of accumulating the good stuff – and plucking any copper pennies and other interesting coins from my pocket change. But I always wanted to give roll sorting a try.

Today I actually had a need to pay a visit to my local bank branch which is pretty rare for me now with all of the online banking available. When I finished my business with the teller, I asked if I could get a box of pennies. She said she didn’t have a box at her window and would go get one for me but she did have loose rolls and could give me $25 worth if I had a bag or something to carry them in. Instead of taking her up on that offer, I said that I would wait for her to go retrieve a box. Maybe that was a mistake, I won’t know for sure until I sort the box. I did crack open the box when I got home and saw through the plastic tubes that it is a mix of shiny copper and the nice brown circulated kind. Maybe some good finds will be in there.

Anyway, while I waited for her to return with the box I glanced over at the teller tray for a quick edge check for silver. All I saw was a tall stack of quarters all showing the copper strip and three clad halves – no silver edges showing waiting to be “rescued” from the stack. I must thank you guys on the board for that little trick I learned.

Love the CWR - get the best return from them. I only get the boxed vault pennies anymore when I'm making a big run for the new Ryedale. When I'm just checking during the week, it's always the CWR I'm looking for. Have found branches that get a lot of them, and branches that hardly every get any of them - a bid odd.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ember » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am

The prices on some of the errors keep me at it :P
ember

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 am

The first time you find a 1999 WAM and get $100+ for it....you'll look for all kinds of stuff.

And there's all kinds of stuff floating out there!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby merchoarder » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:23 am

The debate between customer and bank wrapped rolls comes up quite a bit. I think the majority will tell you CWR's are the best. For me, the jury is still out. In my neck of the woods the Cu % seems about the same in both. They both have there merits. CWR's have been pretty good to me in terms of finding wheats but there are at least a few other sorters in my area and I hate getting solid zinc rolls :evil: To date I have never been skunked on a bank wrapped roll. It all depends on location and different banks. I know which banks the sorters use and which have the best %'s. Shop around, and you may discover patterns. Welcome to the fun, Copper is a hell of a drug :lol:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 am

I hadn't thought about checking for errors. Thanks for the suggestion. If I find anything good, I'll be sure to post it.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:33 am

So out of the very first roll from my very first box of pennies, I found this nice coin. It's the same size as a copper Lincoln cent and appears to be the same composition too. It's definitely a keeper.

IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG (76.9 KiB) Viewed 380 times
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (81.5 KiB) Viewed 380 times

Can't wait to sort the remaining rolls.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby merchoarder » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:35 am

Cool coin! Nice find!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:42 am

Finally finished sorting my first box. Here are the totals:

Copper (18.765%):
15 - Wheats 1940's and 1950's
425 - Memorial 1959-1981
28 - Memorial 1982

Zinc (81.235%):
26 - Memorial 1982
1708 - Memorial 1983-2008
45 - Anniversary 2009
247 - Shield 2010-2011

2494 U.S. pennies total. There were six other coins to bring the total to 2500 for the box.
1 - U.S. Dime
4 - Canadian Pennies (1981, 1999, 2000, 2001)
1 - 1975 Panama one cent

Among the copper pennies was a 1969D that appeared to have been silver plated and five older uncirculated pennies that were very nice (1959, 1959D, 1961D, 1962D(2)).

Among the zincs were some of the ugliest pennies that I have ever seen. About four or five were so corroded that I couldn't really make out the date.

The split on the 1982's was close (28 copper to 26 zinc). I used the ring test to sort them and was expecting to find more of them copper.

I did not find any wide "AM" errors among the zincs. The ones to check are from the Philadelphia mint and almost all my zincs are from Denver since I'm in Southern California. There really weren't that many coins that I had to look at for the wide "AM".
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:55 am

There is the 92D CAM (Close AM) to look for. Only D mint mark I know of for that series of mix ups.

BTW - There is a handsorters thread in the tracking forum where folks such as yourself crunch and chew stats six ways to Sunday. Check it out.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:14 pm

I would take both. Wouldn't want to worry about the one that got away so I take everything they are willing to give me. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Oakair » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:45 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:So out of the very first roll from my very first box of pennies, I found this nice coin. It's the same size as a copper Lincoln cent and appears to be the same composition too. It's definitely a keeper.

IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG

Can't wait to sort the remaining rolls.

Ive found like 40 of these and Bahama's pennies in under 1000 FV sorted...idk why they are so common
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:27 am

Those 1992 wide "AM"s had me fooled at first. I saw the wide "AM" and thought I had a winner. Now I know to look for the close "AM" on the 1992 P & D. Not really all that hard to check. Thank you guys for turning me on to these.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:36 am

ed_vantage17,

Thanks for the tip on the tracking thread for hand sorting. I just posted my numbers over there.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing