my dump bank dumped me

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

my dump bank dumped me

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 pm

that is basically it. I dumped $350 and got a call later in the day saying that I couldn't bring in anymore coin. :( :cry: :x
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Re: my dump bank dumped me

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm

In pennies?? Halves? Dimes?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 pm

pennies. and the was just after I went to my supply bank and ordered $500 in pennies!
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 pm

HAHAHA....

thats jokes!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 am

CoinHuntingObsession wrote:that is basically it. I dumped $350 and got a call later in the day saying that I couldn't bring in anymore coin. :( :cry: :x

A 35k piece dump in one location will not win you any friends.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 am

$350 is really not that much. Try going in and talking to the head teller or bank manager and ask what a weekly limit is.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:51 am

If your banks policy is X amount a day then the teller can't do that. I would take it to the branch manger. One thing that amazes me is how many people are freaked by the bank employees. You are the "customer" and they are in business to take "YOUR" money... Not saying be rude but, the customer is always right... The only part of this that should be hard is getting the bulk, not dumping it off. I do limit mine to 75-100 bucks at a time though, just to be nice since the machine normally has 4 bags for pennies and I like to dump and get out without filling the machine. Also one thought is to find the branches that have 2 or more counters.. They arer use to being busy. Or, find a bank that takes all you can carry. We have one of those and all they want is a warning call before you come in.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:05 am

Hope you are not going to give up! If talking to the manager does not help, there are always other banks that are happy to hold your money.

Do you mind telling us the bank name so that we can avoid bringing large dumps there and get cut off too?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:27 am

Yeah, 350 takes you out of hobbyist category and plants you into business category. (As I also discovered.) I'm lucky in that I'm surrounded by dump banks, so 75-100 per bank will take care of as much coin as I'll ever need to dump.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 am

If you have a decent amount of money in that bank I would tell them you are taking everything out and swithing banks if they will not atleast take some of your pennies. You might be surprised what the bank will do to keep your money with them. Last year I needed to make a larger then average withdraw with no notice and the bank told me I could only have 2,500.00 unles I gave them about a week notice, I said fine then here is a week notice that I want all of the money in all my acounts in cash becasue there was no point in having it in there if I can't get it when I need it, all of a sudden they had the 4,500.00 I needed and gave it to me
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm

I get boxes and dump coins so I'm with you guys on that front but not sure why everyone has this sort of entitled attitude that you can bring coins in or ask for coins nad the bank has to service you.

THey are a private business. Brinks pickups and deliveries are not cheap and depending on your contract can be based on weight and not amount.

Like I said I'm with you guys on the penny hoarding but lets be honest, essentially we are using the bank for our private investment purposes and in some cases for a money making venture/business if you are selling on ebay. WHy should you as a business be able to pass your costs onto the bank who isn't making anything but is paying to help you run your business.

Talk to people at the bank, try to make things as easy on them as possible, come in the day before their pickups, maybe as what time is most convenient but I often see responses like "they have to take your pennies" they absolutely don't have to do anything and may want to get rid of you as a customer if that's your attitude.

Being flexible, working with them and occasionally bringing coffee and donuts will go a long way and they will actually try to help you in many cases but dnot assume because you have $200 in a checking account they have to bow to your every whim. You probably cost them more in a month than is in your account anyway

One other tip, mix some nickels, dimes and quarters in with your dump, its not nearly as wierd as bringing in hundreds of dollars of just pennies

One other tip, coinstar is a ripoff with the 9.8% or whatever it is but for a gift card its free. I know I'm going to spend $100 on groceries every week or ten days and probably another hundred on smokes for the month. I cna bring a few hundred into coinstar get a jewel gift card with a few hundred and use that to buy my groceries and smokes. Sure you cna only buy so much but thats a few hundred a month I dont have to bother my bnak with.

If you livein a state with road tolls tolls take pennies as well. Think of little ways to lighten the load on the bnak.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:55 pm

They have a closed system (they rewrap their coin from the counter, no connection with the fed) and they said that their vault is full. I am starting to dump at another bank which ships to the fed weekly. I found out yesterday that someone else has been dumping large amounts of wheats at the bank that shut me down, so I will probobably change them to a supply bank.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:20 pm

My bank just changed carriers. They're going to start charging $6 to $8 a bag for returns. Well, guys... it was fun while it lasted. :cry:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby HoldingAg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:28 pm

I just started hoarding copper cents in March of this year. Just got my ryedale about a month or so ago. I only have 1 pick up bank so far, I get weekly orders for between 200-300fv now for the last about month and a half or so. I am really starting to build up a pile of zincs, not to mention last week I got $100 in brand new shield pennies, and this week out of a 300fv order I got $275 shield pennies, pure skunkage. I take them anyway, I have close to 300fv shields in my trunk, and another 100fv shields at home. I really need to find a dump bank. I think I will open an account tomorrow morning at one.

What I really chimed in to say was, as copper goes beyond $5 a pound, and people start to hoard/sell more and sort with ryedales and such, the banks will start to catch on. When I went to get my order today I asked my wife if she thought they were trying to skunk me out, and we figured it was just coincidence. But mark my words, as copper increases in price so will this little hobby we have all taken to. I say welcome the newcomers to realcent, but don't broadcast its existence. Keep a good thing going as long as you can, you know?
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:37 pm

HoldingAg wrote:What I really chimed in to say was, as copper goes beyond $5 a pound, and people start to hoard/sell more and sort with ryedales and such, the banks will start to catch on. When I went to get my order today I asked my wife if she thought they were trying to skunk me out, and we figured it was just coincidence. But mark my words, as copper increases in price so will this little hobby we have all taken to. I say welcome the newcomers to realcent, but don't broadcast its existence. Keep a good thing going as long as you can, you know?

In self-rebuttal to my post about telling others about copper, I think I need a big serving of this:
http://sororitea.files.wordpress.com/20 ... titled.jpg

As the copper price escalates, people will figure out the deal. I can envision banks being wiped out of all their pennies in no time once the word gets around. Silver will be somewhat less of a conundrum as we will have Apmex and other sites to order bullion. Can you imagine the day when you'll have to look to paying over face value on pennies to get the copper to stack? Kind of makes this look like a great time to get as much as copper as possible in case a melt ban is lifted ultimately also.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Verbane » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm

beauanderos wrote:My bank just changed carriers. They're going to start charging $6 to $8 a bag for returns. Well, guys... it was fun while it lasted. :cry:

Don't give up.
For what it's worth, I think we're inching towards the end of copper cents at 1c face. Now is the time to find another source bank or five, even if they only pan out for a couple months, at least until you can regain your hoard. I've learned a lot from your posts (as well as many others) since i started lurking here three years ago, You were actually the first person to PM me on ORC :o , keep at it... This is just a setback, End Game hasn't started quite yet...
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby wpd7 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Verbane wrote:
Don't give up.
For what it's worth, I think we're inching towards the end of copper cents at 1c face. Now is the time to find another source bank or five, even if they only pan out for a couple months, at least until you can regain your hoard. I've learned a lot from your posts (as well as many others) since i started lurking here three years ago, You were actually the first person to PM me on ORC :o , keep at it... This is just a setback, End Game hasn't started quite yet...

The student has become the teacher... :D
wpd7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Brings a tear to the eye verbane
TXBullion

Postby thaler » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 pm

CoinHuntingObsession wrote:They have a closed system (they rewrap their coin from the counter, no connection with the fed) and they said that their vault is full. I am starting to dump at another bank which ships to the fed weekly. I found out yesterday that someone else has been dumping large amounts of wheats at the bank that shut me down, so I will probobably change them to a supply bank.

Dumping large amounts of WHEATS?! :?
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Yea I got cut off last week from my main pick-up bank. Was a BofA getting $500 a week for last two months. kinda crappy.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 pm

What.. you guys thought this was easy? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:40 am

avidbrandy wrote:Yea I got cut off last week from my main pick-up bank. Was a BofA getting $500 a week for last two months. kinda crappy.

I can still order... but the size of the dumps I was making was causing hemorrhoids... in other words those dumps are now becoming a pain in the ass. :lol: In a town like mine there aren't that many different banks to spread large weekly returns, so I guess if I want to continue I'll have to scale WAY back.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Crescendo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:58 pm

CoinHuntingObsession wrote:that is basically it. I dumped $350 and got a call later in the day saying that I couldn't bring in anymore coin. :( :cry: :x

Another bit of advice is to actually ask the person who told you you can't bring anymore why. For example, if you happen to always come in on Thursdays, and their pick up dates are weekly on Wednesday, that's probably why. So in that scenario, you could bring your pennies in on Monday or Tuesday, and they may be more accommodating. Each bank is set up differently, as is each person, so the reason may be easy to fix.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 pm

thaler wrote:
CoinHuntingObsession wrote:They have a closed system (they rewrap their coin from the counter, no connection with the fed) and they said that their vault is full. I am starting to dump at another bank which ships to the fed weekly. I found out yesterday that someone else has been dumping large amounts of wheats at the bank that shut me down, so I will probobably change them to a supply bank.

Dumping large amounts of WHEATS?! :?

yeah and a lot of BU copper too. the problem is that they limited me to picking up 1 box a day
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing