Solid copper rolls

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Solid copper rolls

Postby Mercuryman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Anyone ever picked up CWRs at the bank and been solid copper? Picked up $25 and literally almost every roll has been solid copper. Not one wheat cent, they were clearly sorted. I'm wondering if some poor soul passed away and his wife turned in his collection. Still sorting now, ill post back with the % and weight.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Solid copper rolls

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Yep - I've seen that a couple of times - first was a big score at Christmas, and it was exactly that. Grandpa died, and the tellers said the grandboys were cashing in his rolls from the garage to spend at Christmas-time. Almost 200 face of them. I almost felt guilty! Had a smaller similar haul a few months ago. Others have gotten similar things. Definitely a score when you can get it!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mercuryman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Just finished sorting them, came out to be roughly 76% copper. 13.25 pounds or 1908 pennies. Not one wheat penny, but tons of 1959s. After searching my dime boxes and finding a Merc and a rosie i didn't think the pennies would be able to compete. Boy was i wrong :P Made my night
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Great score. I hit about half a dozen rolls of solid, shiny, beautiful 1978s one time. 78 after 78. It was weird, but awesome. Just the other day, I picked up $5 worth while I was at the bank (I'm a mere hand sorter) and later kicked myself for not sorting them right away because they were all solid copper. I love it when that happens!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CuJoe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Amazing...really. Very cool. Gives us all hope!
CuJoe

Postby CasualPenny » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:06 am

I've picked up a couple. I knew someone else at my bank was searching (the tellers told me about her). I never noticed her red pen dot at the ends of the rolls. That day I took some home and noticed the dots. I figured, what a lame pickup, they were all hers. I had the scale out and just started to weigh them all for the heckofit. Some were wellllll over 155g. I got curious and they were all 1982s (95% of them were good!). At least four rolls! I was thrilled. I just can't figure it out though. Maybe she's been setting them aside to check later, and decided it likely wasn't worth it (Wrong!), or maybe mixed up her sorting jars? Beats me, but I nearly discarded a nice find, but diligence got me way more than I would have thought in the only ten or so rolls I'd managed to buy.
CasualPenny

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing