For those using TD Penny Arcades

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

For those using TD Penny Arcades

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Just realized today that the feed chute into the machine (at least the latest model - new bank) is removable by the user, and has a strong magnet that captures steel coins. I pulled it up today and felt around on the magnet, and pulled out about 20-30 steel coins. >$2 in recent canadian change (quarters, dimes, nickels), a couple of old german pennys, a mexican $2 coin, and several pennys and 5 cent pieces from cayman islands. Plus a 43 steelie. What a bonus!

You all need to check that magnet if you can.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: For those using TD Penny Arcades

Postby Oakair » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Ha!

I wish I worked as a teller...Id make more off silver/tips like this than wage pay haha
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 pm

I frequently reap the rewards of the TD magnet. My score today was eerily similar to yours, right down to the steel cent. Funny!

6 out of the 8 branches I go to don't care if I do this. In fact one of the branches showed me where it was and how to check it. BUT, there are 2 branches where I was yelled at across the lobby by a teller for doing this. I am not easily offended so this does not stop me from still checking all the time, but I just thought that I would let you know that you might get a smack down if the stars are not aligned correctly.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:20 am

I figured that's where it was, but never tried to get at it. Next time.

Also, when checking the reject tray stick a finger up into the chute that feeds the tray and 'twang' it a couple times. Coins get backed up on it rather easily.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Henchman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I dumped today at TD and was trying to figure out where the actual Magnet was on the metal "crap" collector you can pull out. I didn't want to seem suspicious, where is the actual magnet on the device?

Did get an extra $5 total across the 4 dump banks I hit :D and my daughter got 4 prizes for her close guesses :twisted:
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Henchman wrote:I dumped today at TD and was trying to figure out where the actual Magnet was on the metal "crap" collector you can pull out. I didn't want to seem suspicious, where is the actual magnet on the device?

Did get an extra $5 total across the 4 dump banks I hit :D and my daughter got 4 prizes for her close guesses :twisted:

If you have the type I know of, you dump the coins into a rectangular slanted tray in the middle of stainless steel insert. If you grab the tray by sticking your fingers in the opening and pulling straight up, the whole circular insert thing comes up out of the countertop. Sit it to the side. There is a big boxy magnet that sits under the chute. If you feel up under it, you'll typically find a bunch of steel coins stuck to the magnet.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Found another really nice 43 steelie today during the dump. Only coin on the magnet. Might have been from my dump - probably was. The Penny Arcade is good for sucking those steel coins out of my zincs.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Not so much a general note on the topic as a specific instance. The talaris machine which the local TD Bank uses has been "acting up" over the past several weeks, and I've watched them take it apart several times while I was there. So yesterday when it malfunctioned, and they were short-handed, and the people were absent that knew something about it, the head teller got in over her head and I had to put it back together for her. In the process we struck up a conversation which led to me finding out that her husband works in IT at my company, supporting the software used by my department! While I don't actually know him, I know of him, and I know his boss. So she suddenly became my "best friend". :) It's a small bank and they have limited resources and thru-put, but I'm selflessly hoping that I benefit a little for this newfound acquaintance. I'm sure she previously considered me one of her largest pains in her butt.
68Camaro

Postby tinhorn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 pm

68Camaro wrote:...If you grab the tray by sticking your fingers in the opening and pulling straight up, the whole circular insert thing comes up out of the countertop. Sit it to the side. There is a big boxy magnet that sits under the chute. If you feel up under it...

Hahahaha--man, if you started disassembling a $15,000 machine that I was responsible for, I'd yell at you across the lobby, too!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:01 pm

This works also (for those that don't want to risk getting yelled at):

Tell them something came out of your bag that wasn't a coin...car key, wedding ring, bullet, whatever...they'll open it up for you and hand over whatever's stuck in there.

At my main dump branch they could care less what I do to that machine, but at others I use the lost car key ruse.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

They have yet to yell at me for pulling up the feeder with the magnet, and I don't think they will now (at this one).

But every place will be different. I only have the one place to go to. As I noted elsewhere the only other TDs within easy driving distance for me have other older models that are useless - I can almost hand-count as fast as they can, so I'm stuck with this one for now. But glad to have it.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Yup. There is no sorting without the arcade.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby fb101 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Love the magnet.
fb101

Postby Morsecode » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Stopped by a seldom used dump branch this morning, and when I pulled the basket out I could hardly believe the number of coins stuck to that magnet. They were 2" thick on the sides and the center looked like one of those cave icicles. No silver, but a few early Canada 5¢, and a wild assortment of foreign. Lots of spendable Canada 25¢ 8-)

One Portuguese coin is marked on the reverse "2$50"...
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Morsecode wrote:Stopped by a seldom used dump branch this morning, and when I pulled the basket out I could hardly believe the number of coins stuck to that magnet. They were 2" thick on the sides and the center looked like one of those cave icicles. No silver, but a few early Canada 5¢, and a wild assortment of foreign. Lots of spendable Canada 25¢ 8-)

One Portuguese coin is marked on the reverse "2$50"...

I got a good handful on Friday, but nothing like that. Mine was mostly a bunch of modern British pennys, and a two pence. A few Canadians - a nickel 5 cent, a nickel quarter, a steel quarter, and a few nickel dimes. Not as much nickel as I would like. A euro 5 cent, and some coin from the Czech Republic. Wish I had a choice of branches; but just the one. There is reportedly one on the other side of my work, two counties away. Makes me consider taking a long lunch to find it and see what they've got.
68Camaro

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 am

68Camaro wrote:.......the only other TDs within easy driving distance for me have other older models that are useless - I can almost hand-count as fast as they can..........

Oh no, not the conveyor belt type. :lol:

I was in Florida back in Feb. for vacation, and did a little half searching. I needed to dump, so I found 2 TD's near where we were staying and both had the conveyor belt type counters. They sucked bad.

Nick
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 am

Conveyor belt? lmao!

Sounds like something Wilma would use in Bedrock. Was it at least electric, or hooked up to a trained pterodactyl?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 am

Yeah - not just the conveyor belt type, but the older conveyor belt type. De La Rue (I think) has a new one that uses a conveyor feeder, but one that really moves - eats 'em up as fast as you can load them. But this one we're talking about moves like it is powered by a hampster.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:29 am

68Camaro wrote:... Wish I had a choice of branches; but just the one. There is reportedly one on the other side of my work, two counties away. Makes me consider taking a long lunch to find it and see what they've got.

Checked online and there is one about 12 miles from work. A bit far, but I may check it out. I will call first to make sure they have one of the newer arcades, and if they do, I may use it once in awhile. The next one down the road is too far away to be cost-effective.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Dumped over $200 zincs today. There was a nice lady changing the bags on the other penny arcade across from me (my TD has 2 machines). After conversing about how many pennies I was cashing in, she told me that was nothing,"someone this week cashed in over $10,000 in silver change". I asked her: "silver" change? She said no, not *real* silver, there were no pennies involved. She said the guy was there for a few hours. A bank employee had to stand there the whole time to empty the bags every 20 minutes or so.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby crazypennyguy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Okay; I have to ask. Is the bank you guys are talking about the Toronto-Dominion, and what's a penny arcade?
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Yeah, that's them. Here they're called TD Banknorth. And now part of Commerce Bank, too.

PennyArcade is an animated coin counter located in most TD branch lobbies, originally conceived to encourage kids to save. I've never seen a kid using it. Very fast...it'll suck down $100 face value zincs in under 3 minutes. Free to use for account holders, fee for others.

We like them for all the free stuff, too...as the posts above point out.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby crazypennyguy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Morsecode wrote:Yeah, that's them. Here they're called TD Banknorth. And now part of Commerce Bank, too.

PennyArcade is an animated coin counter located in most TD branch lobbies, originally conceived to encourage kids to save. I've never seen a kid using it. Very fast...it'll suck down $100 face value zincs in under 3 minutes. Free to use for account holders, fee for others.

We like them for all the free stuff, too...as the posts above point out.

Thanks for the fill-in. Unfortunately for me, there are no penny arcades where I am. But it doesn't matter, as I have my choice of dump banks. I try to tell myself that I like rolling. :lol:
I did it. I've been crazy enough to sort through 10,000 rolls of pennies. Almost makes you think, "some people will do anything to build up a coin collection."
crazypennyguy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 pm

I just got an account with TDBank this morning. They have just recently moved into the area.

Breakdown

I used my ScanCoin 313 to count the coins before I went

Breakdown actual/ counted
Halves 0/5
Quarters 964/954
Nickels 630/622
Dimes 652/657
Pennies 0/4

I took in a mix without pennies to see what the results were going to be

I took in 337.70 the total was 337.84 and had a Half and a mangled up quarter and a Aladdins Castle token in the reject cup.

I will test them with zincs on the next visit. I won't count them before i go. I just want to see if other denominations show up on the ticket.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Morsecode » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Don't be surprised. My zinc bags always pay dividends...3 or 4 nickels, couple dimes, random quarter. Don't recall the last time it only credited me with cents.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing