I think I am about to lose a dump bank

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I think I am about to lose a dump bank

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:42 pm

I went in this morning to my #1 dump bank to pick up some coin bags. The lady handed me a huge stack of almost 50 bags! They usually only give me 2-3 at a time. This was the first time I asked this specific teller so I know who I will be asking for bags from in the future. As I was thanking her, she had an epiphany and said "Hey, you don't have a commercial account right? You're just the guy with all those coins, right?" So I responded "Indeed, why do you ask?" She then proceeded to tell me that "Oh, I don't know if you can bring in anymore, you have to talk to Lisa (the boss) next time you are in because I think that she has something for you to sign or something" I just sad OK and high tailed it out of there.

Can anyone decipher that for me? Am I about to be cut off? What would they want me to sign?

I was thinking about just hitting another branch and closing the account. There are tons of different banks around here. The BIGGEST BUMMER is that this is the only bank that will take bags from me. My only other current dump method is the TD Bank Penny Arcade circuit that I rotate through.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: I think I am about to lose a dump bank

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:45 pm

I haven't got the foggiest about what they want you to sign, but don't bail out just yet! No reason to lose a perfectly good dump bank prematurely. Bag up as many as you usually take in, bring them in next week and talk to Lisa. See what she says. If she wants you gone, then appeal to her sympathy and ask if they would at least cash the ones you brought in. If she's not kicking you out, then you'd have lost yourself a bank for no reason. Never burn a bridge unless you have to.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah, thanks for the encouragement. I'll go and give it a shot next week. I forgot to mention before that I do not think that I was abusive at all to the bank. I would only bring in 2 bags at a time and I only showed up once every 2 weeks. I did not want to test them since they are my only bag-takers.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HD-Daddy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:59 pm

I just recieved a fee's notification from one of my dump banks. 5% or 5.00 whichever is greater. We were pretty agressive with them as far as dumping, but I havent been in to dump yet, since notice. I will and will pay it and won't feel quilty any more(for the tellers mind you) not the BANKS and will not dump halves there. I did notice fees for ordering coin also, but I have never picked up there. Might be considered the cost to do business or an oppurtunity. Another bank I been checking out for pickups has a coincounter (none of ours are lobby), but asst Manager said "sorry sir we allready have them ready to send back to the Fed." She just hasn't been schooled yet, cause either im buying bags or dumping it depends on them. LOL
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Lisa- lonley bank teller in search of a large deposit! You have to....
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby twentybux » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:01 am

Yeah. I don't see Lisa asking you to come to her office to give you candy and chocolates but like the others have said, don't fold just yet. See what type of asinine crap they want to spill your direction (ah, from the voice of experience). I have lost a few dump banks over the years. The teller tells you the"boss" has been looking for you. Heck, I even had one bank vp chase me down in the parking lot so he could bring me into his office and give me the "bad news". Good luck! :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thaler » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:40 pm

hobo finds wrote:Lisa- lonley bank teller in search of a large deposit! You have to....

what cha' tryin' to say hobo, Lisa might want to see a roll of quarters for a change?...lol :lol:
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:58 am

Dont' worry. Worst case scenario is you lose 1 convenient dump back. Who knows, she might set a limit that you can adhere to like 4 bags a week. Even when they cut you off they sometimes can come back online in a few years. Managers amd personel change over time. The bank that cut me completely off for dumping $3k one week is finally starting to give me a couple of boxes a week. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing