Ryedale Jamming, how often to lube the SnP?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Ryedale Jamming, how often to lube the SnP?

Postby Henchman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Been running my Used Ryedale a few days now. I really had to lube it up with Dri Slide the first use to get it running without a jam. I figured once it was lubed decent it wouldn't need for about 50,000 pennies according to what I been reading on maintenance. However I need to reapply Dri Slide before every use, whether it be 20,000 or just 100. I'm storing the Ryedale in my garage which is pretty toasty and I cover it will a plastic bag to keep out the dust. Is that causing the Dri Slide to dry out faster? I don't mind reapplying every use but eventually it'll cost me money in Dri Slide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Ryedale Jamming, how often to lube the SnP?

Postby nero12345 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:33 am

I usually clean the slide first with alcohol then apply the dri slide. Its a good idea to cover it up though.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:40 am

Are you taking the wheel off as well as the little black peice that covers the SnP?

Check out Andy's website because I think he has some videos on there showing you how to do it.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:49 am

I apply one drop to mine before EACH use. I use the bottle with the needle. I have 4 Ryedales and have been using the same bottle since 2008.

If you don't want to lube it as often, wait until you have a bigger batch to run.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:27 pm

I reapply before each $100 sort. I generally sort in $100 increments. I sort for zinc first, then resort the coppers changing the reference penny. I wouldn't worry about the cost of dry-slide. The initial bottle may seem costly, but it will last a LONG time. The dry-slide bottle with the long needle is best.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Henchman wrote:Been running my Used Ryedale a few days now. I really had to lube it up with Dri Slide the first use to get it running without a jam. I figured once it was lubed decent it wouldn't need for about 50,000 pennies according to what I been reading on maintenance. However I need to reapply Dri Slide before every use, whether it be 20,000 or just 100. I'm storing the Ryedale in my garage which is pretty toasty and I cover it will a plastic bag to keep out the dust. Is that causing the Dri Slide to dry out faster? I don't mind reapplying every use but eventually it'll cost me money in Dri Slide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Henchman

See the rest of the comments, which I echo. Just a further comment - dry-slide doesn't really dry out, a hot garage shouldn't matter in that respect - the medium that it is suspended in is only a convenience to help in the application, but once the solvent evaporates the lubrication mechanism is still there, which is powdered molybdenum disulfide.

You'll also need to scrub the wheel, clean the bed it rotates on, and perhaps most importantly clean the clear plastic slide and the chute into the comparator (with a q-tip) - those are the parts that cause the most jams when dirty, and it will get dirty fast. And the gunk that accumulates is probably stickier in a hot and/or humid environment than a cool/dry one, so you might see more jams from that issue when hot and/or humid.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Henchman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks for the comments. I will just keep cleaning and applying since that seems common place. I rather apply more lubricant then deal with jams. I have the big bottle so I'm sure it'll last. Just got a big pickup of pennies today. Time to lube er up and slam $500 down her chute. :twisted: Now only if my wife would let me do that every now and then. :o

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Postby goldteam » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:20 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Henchman wrote:Been running my Used Ryedale a few days now. I really had to lube it up with Dri Slide the first use to get it running without a jam. I figured once it was lubed decent it wouldn't need for about 50,000 pennies according to what I been reading on maintenance. However I need to reapply Dri Slide before every use, whether it be 20,000 or just 100. I'm storing the Ryedale in my garage which is pretty toasty and I cover it will a plastic bag to keep out the dust. Is that causing the Dri Slide to dry out faster? I don't mind reapplying every use but eventually it'll cost me money in Dri Slide.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Henchman

See the rest of the comments, which I echo. Just a further comment - dry-slide doesn't really dry out, a hot garage shouldn't matter in that respect - the medium that it is suspended in is only a convenience to help in the application, but once the solvent evaporates the lubrication mechanism is still there, which is powdered molybdenum disulfide.

You'll also need to scrub the wheel, clean the bed it rotates on, and perhaps most importantly clean the clear plastic slide and the chute into the comparator (with a q-tip) - those are the parts that cause the most jams when dirty, and it will get dirty fast. And the gunk that accumulates is probably stickier in a hot and/or humid environment than a cool/dry one, so you might see more jams from that issue when hot and/or humid.

68Camaro,

Do you put anything on the Q-tip to make it moist?
goldteam

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:12 pm

eyeglass cleaner
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing