Going thru the paces

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Going thru the paces

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:14 am

Last week I had the post office hassle me about a 69lb 8oz box. Had to get the supervisor to find where in the "rules" it says I can't put more than one piece of tape on the box. After ten minutes of searching he congratulated on reinforcing the box so well considering how heavy it was.

Today my first real pickup bank (had been ordering me $200 per week) cut me down to one box. And I even gave them chocolate last week.

I feel like these are growing pains that all real sorters go through and they are evidence that I'm doing this thing for real. Tomorrow I'm off to open a new checking acc't only if they can order me "up to $500 per week in pennies".

Carpe copper.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Going thru the paces

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:Last week I had the post office hassle me about a 69lb 8oz box. Had to get the supervisor to find where in the "rules" it says I can't put more than one piece of tape on the box. After ten minutes of searching he congratulated on reinforcing the box so well considering how heavy it was.

Carpe copper.

Sad thing is, the postal worker who was hassling you will probably be out of a job soon. They're going to lay off what, something like 125,000 employees? Now many of us will have to travel even farther to mail stuff, taking even more profit out of our transactions.

Carpe liberty.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:08 am

The tape thing goes back to when we used to ship bags of pennies in 2 flat rate envelopes weighing 34 pounds each. I one got an entire mint sewn bag of 1968-S pennies in one of those flat rate envelopes. That was really "pressing the envelope." Back then they used to call me Mr. 320 at more than one post office. They put in a special rule about not reinforcing with tape to cut down on the amount of weight we were shipping in those. It was a lot more work cutting down another envelope and taping it all up to make an interior sleeve. :twisted: The flat rate boxes are oh so much easier. If you only use one piece of tape how are you supposed keep the box shut? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:06 pm

That's what I asked the clerk. How can I be sure you guys will get my package there safe with only one piece of tape? She said don't pit so much in the box. I kept saying "it fits, it ships".

I checked the list of post office closings, and the one I use is safe (for now). It's the main one here in a town of almost 100,000 people.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CuJoe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:34 pm

I received a $50 FV bag of copper in the mail last week. Usually my mail lady is awesome when it comes to dropping off packages. She typically drives right up my driveway (which is long and uphill) and puts the package next to my garage door, even in winter...regardless of how small the package is. I was shocked to see that she had managed to shove the flat-rate box containing $50 in pennies into my mailbox last week. It was crammed in there, all the way to the back of the box. Clearly, she was not amused. The box barely fit - she probably had to push it in with her feet! By the time I made it home, the mailbox was tipping slightly due to the stress on the brackets holding it to the post.
CuJoe

Postby Oakair » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:42 pm

CuJoe wrote:I received a $50 FV bag of copper in the mail last week. Usually my mail lady is awesome when it comes to dropping off packages. She typically drives right up my driveway (which is long and uphill) and puts the package next to my garage door, even in winter...regardless of how small the package is. I was shocked to see that she had managed to shove the flat-rate box containing $50 in pennies into my mailbox last week. It was crammed in there, all the way to the back of the box. Clearly, she was not amused. The box barely fit - she probably had to push it in with her feet! By the time I made it home, the mailbox was tipping slightly due to the stress on the brackets holding it to the post.

:lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:54 pm

pushing the envelope? lol

you know, it all depends what "one piece" means. the rolls of tape i buy are one continuous piece of tape, 300 m long.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:pushing the envelope? lol

you know, it all depends what "one piece" means. the rolls of tape i buy are one continuous piece of tape, 300 m long.

I never thought of that. If it came down to it, I would do that for sure. :D

My realcent feedback.

ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm

CuJoe wrote:I was shocked to see that she had managed to shove the flat-rate box containing $50 in pennies into my mailbox last week. It was crammed in there, all the way to the back of the box.

Now THAT'S funny!

I've only bought a couple CTUs (Copper Trade Units--68 pounds) but one box was just mush when it arrived. Fortunately the realcenter who shipped it had taped it to the max, but it was like handling an envelope.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:32 pm

CuJoe wrote:By the time I made it home, the mailbox was tipping slightly due to the stress on the brackets holding it to the post.

Looks like you'll need a bigger and more heavy duty mailbox. ^_^
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Double3 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:36 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:That's what I asked the clerk. How can I be sure you guys will get my package there safe with only one piece of tape? She said don't pit so much in the box. I kept saying "it fits, it ships".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing