Wheat to copper price ratio; correlation?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Wheat to copper price ratio; correlation?

Postby TXBullion » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Ok, for those of you that have been around a little longer. When did wheats start selling for 2 cents? Wheats right now sell for 3-4 cents a piece and copper 1.3-1.4 on the forum/after fees on ebay. Do you think when copper trades at 2x face, wheats will bump 4-5 cents? Just wanted to hear if anyone has any insight or remembers when wheat started selling at a premium. What are your predictions on wheats pennies in the future?

Thanks
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Wheat to copper price ratio; correlation?

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:39 pm

I don't the the price of copper is related to the price of wheats. A lot of numismatic people aren't interested in copper so therefore I don't belive there is a correlation. If copper gets to 3-4 cents each than I think even the numimatic people will start to pay attention and wheats will jump up in price.

As it is right now I sitll don't get why people pay 4 cents each for wheats....
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:51 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I don't the the price of copper is related to the price of wheats. A lot of numismatic people aren't interested in copper so therefore I don't belive there is a correlation. If copper gets to 3-4 cents each than I think even the numimatic people will start to pay attention and wheats will jump up in price.

As it is right now I sitll don't get why people pay 4 cents each for wheats....

Anyone else have any input?

Does anyone else think its weird that people pay 4 cents each for them?
TXBullion

Postby jasmatk » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:49 pm

I dont think its weird. not everyone sorts.So a colecter who wanted to fill a wheat album would have no choice but to pay a premium or start sorting.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:05 pm

how about the people I use to sell 1976 qtrs to for 40-50c each!!!
misteroman

Postby Wheatie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Just like anything else that is no longer being made, it is likely to become more desired the longer it is out of service. Wheat pennies are a solid testimony to a time gone by, but are recognized and appreciated by most adults today. Their copper content is solid and understood, and their scarcity in circulation makes them something special and fun. Add to this the incredible bull market that the precious metals are experiencing and likely will for many years to come, and wheat pennies could well ride on the coat tails and enjoy a sizable increase in value. I do think the rising copper market price will also have a direct impact on their value; how could it not? Hang on to your wheat pennies, TX Bullion, you have a nice little treasure there!
Wheatie

Postby TXBullion » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Wheatie wrote:Just like anything else that is no longer being made, it is likely to become more desired the longer it is out of service. Wheat pennies are a solid testimony to a time gone by, but are recognized and appreciated by most adults today. Their copper content is solid and understood, and their scarcity in circulation makes them something special and fun. Add to this the incredible bull market that the precious metals are experiencing and likely will for many years to come, and wheat pennies could well ride on the coat tails and enjoy a sizable increase in value. I do think the rising copper market price will also have a direct impact on their value; how could it not? Hang on to your wheat pennies, TX Bullion, you have a nice little treasure there!

Oh I hold on to them, just forward looking for the future. My goal is to have a bucket of all wheat. I definitely have to buy some though to achieve that :lol:
TXBullion

Postby pennysifter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:37 am

I think it's relative to your target audience. When I was younger, I used to buy wheat pennies for 10 cents each at the gun show. True, I got to sort and cherry pick them, but if you're looking to collect 20-30 wheats then I could see someone paying 10 cents or more. Now if you buy by the bag, it becomes ludicrous to spend that much on them.

People also have a false idea that they are "rare". There are plenty of them, you just don't see them in general circulation. Same with halves. After I sort the ones I get from banks, I spend them on small cash items and people are amazed to get them. Halves are not rare or obsolete either. A few years back I was selling rolls of Cu/Ni clad halves for $12-13 a roll. They were just the ones I had already sorted all the silver ones from.
pennysifter

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing