long term effects of tape on rolls?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

long term effects of tape on rolls?

Postby Nokozan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:18 am

ive seen what some long term effects of rubber bands can do to silver, i was wondering all my rolls are have tape on the ends to keep them closed on the non-crimped edge. are there any long term effects of the tape to the paper rolls or eating through to the copper or something. its like a clear package tape. just dont want to come back to them in the future thinking i made a mistake taping all the ends of rolls.
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Re: long term effects of tape on rolls?

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:39 am

I hate it when the bakery does that! Makes them hard to chew :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:53 am

I've seen some adverse results from the old cellophane tape (Scotch tape) from the 1950s and 1960s. Sometimes used to tape roll ends when it isn't even necessary. This old tape can definitely alter the surface of anything it touches. I haven't seen entire rolls affected by one application of tape on the roll ends.

If this is a concern, I know there are many new varieties of tape being sold. Some are archival and claim to remain inert when taping pictures, art prints, documents going into long-term storage, etc. I suggest contacting 3M and see what they suggest from their current product line to meet your needs. They're generally pretty helpful in the interest of good customer relations.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:36 pm

What do museums and libraries use?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:43 pm

I plan on melting my pennies when it legal anyways.....are sure you're not collecting pennies for numismatic value?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing