More news concerning Penny and Nickel composition change

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

More news concerning Penny and Nickel composition change

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 pm

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/mint- ... h-alterna/

I'm curious to know if anyone here has a solid idea of what they will change the composition on pennies and nickels to while still keeping the dimensions and weight the same. Seems to me like this could happen pretty fast since it has been a topic that is in the news more often lately. Does anyone know how long it took for them to make changes in the past after the enacted a study like this?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: More news concerning Penny and Nickel composition change

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Copper coated steel would be my bet on the penny. Kind of like the Canadian cent.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

All Zinc nickel?
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:30 pm

I can definitely see zinc being incorporated into nickels, but could they get away with making pennies magnetic? How much of a problem would that be for all of the machinery out there that process coins?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PolishPunisher » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:58 pm

This article further highlighted the reasons for the U.S. to simply cease production of the penny. Currently the zinc in a penny is worth about $.006, but it cost $.0152 to make! The labor and overhead costs $.009 per penny! A composition change may not make the cost go below $.01.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Make the pennies outta lead.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

PolishPunisher wrote:This article further highlighted the reasons for the U.S. to simply cease production of the penny. Currently the zinc in a penny is worth about $.006, but it cost $.0152 to make! The labor and overhead costs $.009 per penny! A composition change may not make the cost go below $.01.

I was thinking this also. I agree, it's likely they can not make a penny for less than a cent.

is the end near?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

to make one for less than a cent it would need to be made of cardboard or plastic... Or made in China :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:32 pm

hobo finds wrote:to make one for less than a cent it would need to be made of cardboard or plastic... Or made in China :lol:

Sad, but true..... :(
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:
hobo finds wrote:to make one for less than a cent it would need to be made of cardboard or plastic... Or made in China :lol:

Great - one MORE way for china to dispose of it's toxic waste.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Make the cents out of Kevlar. That way we can string them together and make a bullet proof vest. I just have a feeling we're going to need 'em.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Yeah, but the US Mint will only be able to buy them from China on ebay.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:41 am

BamaJoe wrote:
VWBEAMER wrote:

Great - one MORE way for china to dispose of it's toxic waste.

CHINA QUALITY!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 am

cesariojpn wrote:Make the pennies outta lead.

seems logical. :lol: :roll:

Don't show this to congress. I can see it now "it's so crazy it just might work, look at qe and qe2!"
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 am

I could see the penny being eliminated and the nickel switched to zinc. Maybe the current supplier of zinc blanks to the U.S. Mint is already working that angle - give up the contract for producing zinc penny blanks in return for a new contract to produce zinc nickel blanks. Pure speculation on my part of course.

They claim that zinc is the most effective coinage material.

http://www.jardenzinc.com/
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dpwozney » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:46 pm

NHsorter wrote:http://www.coinworld.com/articles/mint-awards-firm-contract-to-research-alterna/

I'm curious to know if anyone here has a solid idea of what they will change the composition on pennies and nickels to while still keeping the dimensions and weight the same. Seems to me like this could happen pretty fast since it has been a topic that is in the news more often lately. Does anyone know how long it took for them to make changes in the past after the enacted a study like this?

This article seems to suggest that changes might not be made before 2013:

David C. Harper, Numismatic News wrote:... It will be in 2013 that Peterson will have to go back to Congress with his evaluation of the present state of American circulating coinage and what his recommendations are to fix the problems.

And there are problems.

These include a copper-coated zinc cent that costs more to produce than is recovered when the Mint is paid 1 cent by the Federal Reserve.

The 75 percent copper, 25 percent nickel coin not only costs more to produce than can be covered by its 5-cent face value, but its metallic value at 5.9 cents creates a risk of mass melting that is only countered by a Treasury regulation that makes it illegal to melt or export this denomination as well as cents. ...

Personally, I think cupronickel alloy serves fairly well as, and is a good choice for, a monetary standard.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby collector1924 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Many have theorized about an event that will enable the copper penny to attain it's true market value.
Some say it will occur when the temporary melt ban is lifted.
My 2 cents no pun intended is that when zinc increases such that the newer pennies are worth over 1 cent then a new
steel penny will be introduced and when that happens the copper pennies will be worth at least 5 cents.
With the way they are printing paper money around the world I think that will occur by 2015 at the latest.
Until then I will continue to accumulate the copper pennies..
collector1924

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing