Are solid boxes of 2011 cents worth holding onto?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are solid boxes of 2011 cents worth holding onto?

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:09 pm

My local penny pick-up bank has only 2011-P boxes right now. Is it worth it to grab a few while they still have them? Any guesses if 2011 is a low mintage year for business strike coins? Actually, I hope the boxes are worth grabbing and someone comes by and gets them all so I can get a return to the circulated pennies boxes.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Are solid boxes of 2011 cents worth holding onto?

Postby slickeast » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:13 pm

You might be able to make a few bucks selling them on e-bay. I personally would not hold on to any.

Also there are reports that some are dirty boxes, meaning some have older years mixed in.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 pm

slickeast wrote:You might be able to make a few bucks selling them on e-bay. I personally would not hold on to any.

Also there are reports that some are dirty boxes, meaning some have older years mixed in.

These are the paper wrapped rolls. All the ends of the pennies showing through the swiss cheese holes are nice, shiny and show the 2011 date or the shield reverse.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7375

Here's the thread talking about the non solid -- solid boxes
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:51 pm

tn-dave wrote:http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7375

Here's the thread talking about the non solid -- solid boxes

I'll probably just keep the box and crack open the rolls some day and put them in coin tubes if they look like they all were sealed uncirculated ( -ie- no mixture with other dates). I have a box each of 2008 and 2010 cents that now I am not so sure of, hmmmm. Well, I guess I have $75 into these boxes and that is $75 I could convert to copper coins down the road in a pinch.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-D-Lincoln- ... 1295wt_956

Check out the item history...

If you are ebay proficient, its worth a shot, but it'll tie up your searching capital
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Economist » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:58 pm

I'll confirm the "dirty" boxes rumor. I sold several lots of 2011 BU boxes on ebay (all showing pure 2011/ shield). One guy emails me in a huff, stating that there were non-2011 coins in some rolls. He was pretty nice about it after I refunded him the difference between the sale price and face, but I'm still out the ebay fees. Needless to say, this put an end to my selling BU 2011 boxes.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoldingAg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:50 pm

I will also confirm the dirty boxes of 2011 shields. I have $375 face value in my trunk right now, and some of the boxes show one-ten end coins through the little holes in the bottom of the boxes that are not 2011 shields. I have about 75fv on my sorting table right now and I had to break them open and guess what? 2011 shields, no mint mark, out of the 2500 in a box about 2200 are 2011 shields the rest are coppers and zincs. I do have a couple of rolls in there that are totally dirty ie no shields at all, as well.

Back to the bank they go...
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 pm

I sold a couple but I put a disclaimer in the listing explaining how coins are packaged by the coin processing centers. Nice profit, no problems.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:42 pm

In 2010 I ended up with two boxes of string rolled 2010 showing on all ends. Had the same debate myself, hold vs. sell. (Not a bad problem to have).

My thinking is there is no shortage of people (or supply) that hoard BU rolls (even boxes). Hence supply often times outweighs demand. You'll see em for sell all the time oneline or at coin shows. I ended up selling both boxes on ebay and profiting a few dollars. Took the bird in the hand and sold for more then face value. But that's just me.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 am

I have a box of 2010's I got last year. If I get a box this year I'll probably keep the as well. I am not sure if you can make money just yet on them, but in 10-20 you might. (I might be wrong here). I saw several dealer at a show with boxes selling the rolls for $4 each.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 am

John_doe wrote:I saw several dealer at a show with boxes selling the rolls for $4 each.

Were people buying them at $4.00 a roll or did he just have them listed at that price? That is the key. I can put a price tag of $45 for 1950's wheat rolls but doubt anybody is buying at that price.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:37 am

To hold or not to hold? That's a decision that I have been putting off making. I have been accumulating boxes and CWRs alot faster than I can sort them lately. I think two boxes of 2011's went on the to-be-sorted stack a couple of weeks ago. I still have more cash to convert to pennies so the stack will continue to grow and any 2011's boxes that find there way there will be kept be default.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 am

exbingoaddict wrote:
John_doe wrote:I saw several dealer at a show with boxes selling the rolls for $4 each.

Were people buying them at $4.00 a roll or did he just have them listed at that price? That is the key. I can put a price tag of $45 for 1950's wheat rolls but doubt anybody is buying at that price.

There were rolls gone out of the box. Maybe he was reverse baiting. Like when someone baits a tip jar, only he sneaks a few rolls out to make it seem like people are buying them.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 am

I put some up on ebay, and returned or traded the rest to other banks. I'm actually a little nervous b/c today i'm going back to the bank that hooked me up with the 2011 boxes last week...

Nothing sold on Ebay, no one even looked at my WTS listing here. Which led me to just return them.

I'd actually be more interested to learn if there are any errors going around for the 2011-P or -D series. I'd hold every box I get if there was even a moderate error for this date.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 am

JobIII wrote:I put some up on ebay, and returned or traded the rest to other banks. I'm actually a little nervous b/c today i'm going back to the bank that hooked me up with the 2011 boxes last week...

Nothing sold on Ebay, no one even looked at my WTS listing here. Which led me to just return them.

I'd actually be more interested to learn if there are any errors going around for the 2011-P or -D series. I'd hold every box I get if there was even a moderate error for this date.

~JobIII

http://doubleddie.com/431101.html

If you go back to the main site, they also have the 2010...

Not really 'errors' but meh, I tried haha
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:04 am

JobIII wrote:I'd actually be more interested to learn if there are any errors going around for the 2011-P or -D series. I'd hold every box I get if there was even a moderate error for this date.

~JobIII

www.coppercoins.com
there several minors for 2011 P, and a pretty good one (2011P-1DO-004)
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:02 pm

if your into collecting coins its cool to have, something cool to give to your kids or grandkids down the road but honestly for the weight and space they take up it will probably be a very limted return 10 or even 20 years down the road. is it worth holding onto for 20 years to make 20 bucks on ebay?

funny story my great grandfather was really into collecting coins, paper money, foreign stuff all of it. he passed long ago but my grandpa recently pulled some old stuff out and was showing me some of his old vdb pennies, and other rare stuff. he also had $100 bundles of consecutive serial numbered bills from way way way back. i guess he thought someday they'd be worth something. i havn't looked into it but doubt they are worth much at all.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:33 pm

i havn't looked into it but doubt they are worth much at all.

oh, heck yeah they are worth something. join the coin community forum and ask in the paper money section.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:14 am

I looked up the 2011 varieties at the websites provided above. All in all I'm happy I traded the boxes in. Now if there was something like the 1972 minor ddo, I'd be much more interested in holding them and searching. I'm a big fan of the 1984 and 1995 ddo's, and if i could have found the '83 ddr i'd also be a fan of that one too. :)
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing