It finally happened to me...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

It finally happened to me...

Postby RR GUY » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 pm

So I was at the bank depositing a few checks. This guy walks in and asks for help unloading his car, he says he has several shoe boxes worth of pennies. I'm not much of a penny sorter, I started hoarding a few years ago and it gold old after the third ton, plus as you all know, its a little time consuming. Anyway, one of the customer service guys goes out to his car and they make two trips and come back with boxes full of wrapped rolls. I asked him how much he had before he got to the teller window. He replies, its about $370. I asked him why he had so many pennies, and he replied "they were my dad's, he just kept them forever." So, of course I bought them and he loaded them in my car. I told him that I would buy any dimes or quarters he had, but he replied " my dad aready pulled out all the silver a long time ago" DARN, oh well. I think the tellers were thrilled they didn't have to count them all.

I had one of the guys who works for me sort them in his downtime. It took him a few days. I knew there would be lots of copper in there, but I wasn't prepared for the results. When he wrapped up the zincs, he counted $81.50? Huh? I said "I think you made a mistake." I looked at the bucket of coppers and there were so many brand new shiny coppers all from the 1960's and 1970's, oh, and how could I forget over $12 worth of wheats. So there it is a 78% success rate. It happens every once in a while, and this week, it happened to me.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Re: It finally happened to me...

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Great story. Right place, right time.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dp2007 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Nice!
dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:41 pm

sweet..
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:53 pm

congratulations! That's awesome.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RR GUY » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Yes, a great find. It seems that the newest pennies were from 1999, so those pennies sat there for a long time. Probably his father was in a nursing home or something for years before he died, and the family was just now closing up the house and settling the estate. Perhaps the old man was saving the copper ones himself, and the kids just had no clue what to do with them.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Great pick up indeed! Congrats!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rickygee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 pm

OK, what's going on? I smell conspiracy! :P Haven't sorted a single roll in about 6~7 weeks. Stopped at the bank and got $10 this afternoon. Sorted 7 rolls so far. 5 rolls of CWR, really old looking wrappers...*100% copper. One wheat, a 1919, and 4 S mint marks the rest copper. *Well there's a small amount of '82s to weigh. I'm in KY. Too bad the branch is now closed and I've to work tomorrow. Oh well, I hope another copper miner gets any that are left in Ken the teller's safe!
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing