Coolest bank ever

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coolest bank ever

Postby balz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:53 am

I went to a new bank to open an account in my never-ending quest for pennies.

There it was:

The absolutely wonderful full LCD "THE MACHINE" counting all coins, giving you a coupon allowing you to get the fiat money you need...

ABSOLUTELY FREE! No charge whatsoever.

So cool.

I'll never reroll zinc.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Re: Coolest bank ever

Postby Kurr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Lol, good find!

I would advise caution though. I have been banned from a few.

One even tried to tell me, "you know you should not bring somany coins in (200-250.00), these machines really arent designed for that much and it costs us money to have it serviced" as she was changing the bags on the Magnasort.

Again, good find!
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby balz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks for the advice! I will try to find where there are other machines like this and try to rotate my dump, trying to remain under 100$ at each place.

In fact that's my whole strategy right now... I ordered 4 boxes from a bank and they told me they had only 3 and offered to re-order for me. I said I would call them later. I want them to forget about me...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby creshka46 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Haha, yeah. I used to have that. And then after about a month of dumping I was greeted by this big sign. "FROM NOW ON, ALL COIN DEPOSITS OVER $200 WILL BE CHARGED A 2% PROCESSING FEE" :(

Oh well, it was great while it lasted. Still, 2% isn't bad. :P
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm

creshka46 wrote:Haha, yeah. I used to have that. And then after about a month of dumping I was greeted by this big sign. "FROM NOW ON, ALL COIN DEPOSITS OVER $200 WILL BE CHARGED A 2% PROCESSING FEE" :(

Still, 200$ is nearly 8 boxes full of pennies... If you can find 3 banks like that, that would be 24 boxes each trip! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

I only have one bank account but there are five branches within 15 miles of me. Only one of them has a coin machine like the one you are talking about but they all have machines the tellers can use. They actually will not take rolled coins, I have been dumping 50.00 a week in "do it yourself" machine. I think if you would dump 50-75.00 a week they probable would never say anything
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:40 pm

creshka46 wrote:Haha, yeah. I used to have that. And then after about a month of dumping I was greeted by this big sign. "FROM NOW ON, ALL COIN DEPOSITS OVER $200 WILL BE CHARGED A 2% PROCESSING FEE" :(

just bring in $ 150 or so in twice or 3 times a day.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby balz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I'd like to buy the coins people put in that machine.

I guess I'll keep dreaming! :lol:
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Make sure it counts accurately, with a small batch which you know how much it is. One free coin sorter has cost me more than coinstar does. It has consistently short, by a lot. I will never go back to that one. Check all the reject areas if the machine for bonus coins and your rejects.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Tourney64 wrote:Make sure it counts accurately, with a small batch which you know how much it is. One free coin sorter has cost me more than coinstar does. It has consistently short, by a lot. I will never go back to that one. Check all the reject areas if the machine for bonus coins and your rejects.

Thanks for the advice... I'll try this first.

BTW: was the coin sorter that costed you more than coinstar in a bank? Did they announced that they would charge money from you? If now, I guess you could claim the difference...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:16 pm

i buy the bags of halves from them. my luck isn't usually any better than boxes but i do usually find a few extras, plus some pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters, etc.

needless to say, i don't deposit in those machines.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Last night I had 4 zinc bags in the car. After dumping one, I asked the manager politely if I could run another one (never hurts to be nice)...she said, "You're the boss...bring them all in." :mrgreen:

Wimped out and only ran the one extra one anyway.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby creshka46 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Tourney64 wrote:Check all the reject areas if the machine for bonus coins and your rejects.

Yeah, I've found plenty of canadian money that way. :) I've also gotten 5 or 6 ikes to date when the bag fills up midway through and they have to open it up and replace it. The machine doesn't take Ikes and any that go in don't go into the reject chute, they just get stuck in the debris tray in there so when they open it up sometimes theres 1 or 2 in there.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:48 pm

I got a 1979 canadian nickel, a US nickel and a quarter the other day in the reject bin when I dumped pennies.

I learned not to dump dimes it it. The last time I dumped dimes it counted a number of them as pennies.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:23 pm

knibloe wrote:I got a 1979 canadian nickel, a US nickel and a quarter the other day in the reject bin when I dumped pennies.

I learned not to dump dimes it it. The last time I dumped dimes it counted a number of them as pennies.

And that's where all the dimes in my penny bags come from. I never return loose dimes.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Balz asked BTW: was the coin sorter that costed you more than coinstar in a bank? Did they announced that they would charge money from you? If now, I guess you could claim the difference...

The coin counter was free to members an 8% for non members. I am a member of the credit union. The amount I was shorted was more than non members would pay.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing