Little ot, good camera for close up's?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Little ot, good camera for close up's?

Postby CoolRide » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello everybody!

New to the forum and penny sorting or "cent" sorting for those fancy types lol.

Have found a couple of plantchet (SP?) and Kennedy facing Lincoln? I think they call it, and a couple others in the last couple weeks. Yesterday I think I found a penny the has been stamped twice maybe? It was obviously squished on the front (obverse?) and under my 30x loupe you can see the "extra" letters "L' and "I"

Sucks trying to explain. SO....I told you this story so I could tell you this story hahahah

Actually like the title asks, what are you guys using/doing to get such clear close-ups of your coins?

We have a decent little digital Kodak about 8 years old, or 10 I dunno, but even on the "Macro" setting it just will not focus.

So is there a in-expensive digital cam out there that takes good close up's?

When I say in-expensive I'm talking maybe $100 or so. We don't usually spend much on them, maybe thats our problem :shock:

Thank you again!

Sammy
Just saving money.

"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun!" Herman Munster
CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Little ot, good camera for close up's?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Flatbed scanner is what a lot of people use on here. Gets pretty good results and less fussing around than with a camera.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:14 pm

+1 on scanner.

if you use a camera, learn how to use the macro setting. its indicated by a tulip flower icon.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CoolRide » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm

NHsorter wrote:Flatbed scanner is what a lot of people use on here. Gets pretty good results and less fussing around than with a camera.

I'm shaking my head at my own foolishness. I haven't thought about a flatbed scanner in years. What a great idea, as we WERE getting a "bit" frustrated trying to get a few closeups to share.

Thanks again for the info. I'm off to find a scanner.

Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 pm

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot. About $125 when I bought it.

Great close-ups in the macro setting. Easy to see those possible double dies or just plain machine doubling!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CoolRide » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:52 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:I have a Sony Cyber-Shot. About $125 when I bought it.

Great close-ups in the macro setting. Easy to see those possible double dies or just plain machine doubling!

Thank you, that sounds about perfect. I dug out a "old" new un-opened printer/scanner/fax and set it up and other than the ink cartridge being dried out (which I don't care about anyway) it seem to take OK scans, but it will not show the one that I wanted to post. I suppose its just too cheap of a scanner. I don't even know how we got it, probably with the purchase of a computer and we didn't need a printer at the time.

However we do also still need a camera so I will check out walmart tonight.

Thanks!

Sammy
Just saving money.

CoolRide
Penny Sorter Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:34 pm

THIS IS NOT A SHAMELESS PLUG. But all the pictures listed on the three auctions mentioned in my signature were taken at 600dpi by my quite affordable WalMart flatbed scanner. Then reduced drastically to fit the page. So what I'm saying is... most scanners work VERY well.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 am

uthminsta wrote:THIS IS NOT A SHAMELESS PLUG. But all the pictures listed on the three auctions mentioned in my signature were taken at 600dpi by my quite affordable WalMart flatbed scanner. Then reduced drastically to fit the page. So what I'm saying is... most scanners work VERY well.

yep...gotta play with the setting and make sure its at its highest resolution!

Ive got a 700$ camera, and I still like my scans better :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing