is there any LCS that buys pre1982 cents?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

is there any LCS that buys pre1982 cents?

Postby Nokozan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:15 pm

i was wondering if there are any LCS that buy and sell pre 1982 cents. if not will they buy/sell in the future if the prices becomes say 5-10 times face?
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Re: is there any LCS that buys pre1982 cents?

Postby brexzz1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:04 pm

whats lcs?
brexzz1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:22 pm

local candy shop
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't think they would want to deal with making 0.005 cents per penny; probably not worth their time.

My local coin guy usually sells me any pre-1982 copper pennies he has in his cash register at face.

He knows I collect copper.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 pm

I have discussed it with my local shop. He had considered it.
There was a guy at the local show selling bags. I think he was asking somewhere over $100 for $50 face bags. The conversation at the local shop came up after that show, with a couple of patrons standing around talking about "what's next for bullion buyers." I think many of those guys "get it," by which I mean they completely understand the coins are worth it... but the disconnect comes in that they would all still rather buy silver or gold... and don't think it is worth their time to buy that stuff or even sort for it yet. They will think differently once the cent is gone, probably. Or perhaps if coppers reach 5 or more times face?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:01 am

Selling Cu pennies to a LCS is just adding a middle man between sorter and investor. My LCS's buy 90% Ag @ 26-28xFV and sell @30-32xFV, it will take much higher Cu prices before it would become a good deal for all.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 am

There are some local coin shops that have a small active copper market. Easiest way to find one is just call up your locals ones and talk with them.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby SoFa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:10 pm

What about Canadian pennies? There's no melt ban there, right? So are there any businesses that will buy those?
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:03 pm

I think if there is enough profit and demand to warrant them carrying them, they will. There are already a few local dealers that sell all their copper to me. I will have copper cents in every conceivable buying level at the table of the local coin show I am doing tomorrow. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:28 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I think if there is enough profit and demand to warrant them carrying them, they will. There are already a few local dealers that sell all their copper to me. I will have copper cents in every conceivable buying level at the table of the local coin show I am doing tomorrow. :mrgreen:

I would be very interested to see you at that show. Take a picture of your table, please. Let's get this rolling! :mrgreen:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:42 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I think if there is enough profit and demand to warrant them carrying them, they will. There are already a few local dealers that sell all their copper to me. I will have copper cents in every conceivable buying level at the table of the local coin show I am doing tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Yepper this would an interesting picture to see how you do it!

Got any pics for us small-time dreamers? :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby adagirl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Hoard, we await pictures! :lol:
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 am

You'all know I don't take a lot of pics. I stacked it high.. HPMBTT came by and witnessed it. But all I sold was gold and silver. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:31 am

I got my local dealer started in copper just because I told him I would buy any copper he takes in. So that gives him an outlet for copper and makes it worthwhile for him to bother with it. I know he doesn't make much handling the copper but it does offer a service for his customers that want to get rid of copper and I get a bunch of copper at a good price.

If you have a coin dealer near you stop by and tell them that you will buy any copper they get. It is just one more way we can develop the copper market. If most coin dealers start buying it people are going to see it as a legitimate investment and actually start thinking of copper as a PM.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Member » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 pm

I sell it at mine
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:04 pm

NDFarmer wrote:If you have a coin dealer near you stop by and tell them that you will buy any copper they get. It is just one more way we can develop the copper market. If most coin dealers start buying it people are going to see it as a legitimate investment and actually start thinking of copper as a PM.

That is great insight....to help "develop the copper market" by buying from our local coin shops. And copper is the "poor man's precious metal" right?!! :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing